Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading values from sql query Post 302825383 by rbatte1 on Monday 24th of June 2013 10:09:12 AM
Old 06-24-2013
It could be simplified by using:-
Code:
while read acc
do
   bip.sh $acc
done < sql_output.txt

This will loop for every record in your file. Be careful if you need to exclude things such as the column headings and numbers of row returned or blank lines.

If you have more than one column in the file and (for instance) the account number is in column 2 and you don't care about columns 1, 2 or three and from 5 onward, you could:-
Code:
while read col1 col2 col3 acc rest
do
   bip.sh $acc
done < sql_output.txt

You could run bip.sh 01 $acc if the 01 is a required parameter or even bip.sh 01 $acc & to run it in the background, but be careful if your file may have more than just a few records. There are limits to how many processes you should have running at the same time.

I hope that this helps

Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

Last edited by rbatte1; 06-24-2013 at 11:15 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help in reading a output of a sql query in unix script

i'm used a sql query in a unix script to get the information from table. but unable to extract the output which i need. Any help with logic will be greatly appreciated. my sql query provide output some thing like this - col1 col2 count ---- ---- ------ A B 10 c D 6 e... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading values from a file using DB2 SQL

I have some alphbetical codes in that (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kavithakuttyk
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sql data file in unix csv file as input to an sql query from shell

Hi , I used the below script to get the sql data into csv file using unix scripting. I m getting the output into an output file but the output file is not displayed in a separe columns . #!/bin/ksh export FILE_PATH=/maav/home/xyz/abc/ rm $FILE_PATH/sample.csv sqlplus -s... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nareshp
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query Oracle tables and return values to shell script that calls the query

Hi, I have a requirement as below which needs to be done viz UNIX shell script (1) I have to connect to an Oracle database (2) Exexute "SELECT field_status from table 1" query on one of the tables. (3) Based on the result that I get from point (2), I have to update another table in the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaeswari
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run SQL thru shell script: how to get a new line when run sql query?

Hi, this's Pom. I'm quite a new one for shell script but I have to do sql on shell script to query some information from database. I found a concern to get a new line...When I run my script, it retrieves all data as wondering but it's shown in one line :( What should I do? I'm not sure that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kapom
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting values of 2 columns from sql query in UNIX variables

Hi, I have connected to oracle database with sqlplus -s / <<EOF select ename, age from emp where empid=1234; EOF I want to save the values of ename and age in unix shell variables. Any pointers would be welcome.. Thanks in advance!!1 Cheers :):):):) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gonchusirsa
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query the table and return values to shell script and search result values from another files.

Hi, I need a shell script, which would search the result values from another files. 1)execute " select column1 from table_name" query on the table. 2)Based on the result, need to be grep from .wft files. could please explain about this.Below is the way i am using. #!/bin/sh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rami Reddy
4 Replies

8. Programming

Query SQL get two values differents from the same columns

Hi, I have 2 different values in the same column and two different values in other column Query 1 ins name value 1 Test 12345 1 TestV1 12/10/2014 8 Test 85435 8 TestV1 11/11/2005 9 Test 42232 9 TestV1 19/10/2000 6 Test 54321... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: faka
6 Replies

9. Programming

Help writing SQL query

Hello All, I hope I'm posting this in the right section. I have zero sql query writing skill, in fact, I've never done it before, but for some reason, a request came across my desk to get information from one of our databases. I have about 200 ticket numbers that have no information attached,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Asign to variable ksh some values of sql query

Hi, I'm trying to asign to ksh varible some values of a sql query. The output query would be: xxxx 1 yyyy 2 I do: values=`$PATH_UTI/query_sh " select think1||'------'||think2 from some_table where think3 = '$1'; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mierdatuti
2 Replies
cvm-pgsql(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      cvm-pgsql(8)

NAME
cvm-pgsql - PgSQL module SYNOPSIS
cvm-pgsql CREDENTIALS
Pass phrase DESCRIPTION
This module queries a PgSQL database for the account name, compares the stored pass phrase with the given one using crypt(3). CONFIGURATION VARIABLES
The server hostname, port, database, username, password, and additional options can be controlled by setting $PGHOST, $PGPORT, $PGDATABASE, $PGUSER, $PGPASSWORD, and $PGOPTIONS respectively, which are parsed by the PgSQL client library. CVM_MYSQL_POSTQ (optional) The SQL query to execute after the credentials have been validated, see cvm-sql(7). CVM_PGSQL_PWCMP (optional) The password comparison module to use. CVM_PGSQL_QUERY (optional) The SQL query to issue to retrieve the row containing the account information from the database. SEE ALSO
cvm-sql(7), cvm-mysql(8), cvm-pwfile(8), cvm-qmail(8), cvm-unix(8), cvm-vmailmgr(8), cvm-benchclient(8), cvm-checkpassword(8), cvm-test- client(8) http://untroubled.org/pwcmp/pwcmp.html http://untroubled.org/cvm/cvm.html cvm-pgsql(8)