Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Want to count the number of lines after the first line Post 302825273 by reignangel2003 on Monday 24th of June 2013 03:53:04 AM
Old 06-24-2013
here is my solution:

Code:
tot_cnt=$((`cat filename | wc -l`  -1 ))

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of lines in Binary file

Hi Friends Please help me out to count number of lines in binary file. It gives some wrong(less) using wc -l. Is there any other way to count lines of binary file. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanand420
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending line number to each line and getting total number of lines

Hello, I need help in appending the line number of each line to the file and also to get the total number of lines. Can somebody please help me. I have a file say: abc def ccc ddd ffff The output should be: Instance1=abc Instance2=def Instance3=ccc Instance4=ddd Instance5=ffff ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
2 Replies

3. Programming

to count the number of commented lines in a file

can someone guide me how to have a C pgm to count the number of commented lines? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naan
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count of Number of Lines in a File

Dear Members, I want to count the number of lines in a file; for that i am using the following command : FILE_LINE_COUNT=`wc -l $INT_IN/$RAW_FILE_NAME` if i do an echo on FILE_LINE_COUNT then i get 241 /home/data/testfile.txt I don't want the directory path to be displayed. Variable... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandeep_1105
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

count the number of lines that start with the number

I have a file with contents similar to this. abcd 1234 4567 7666 jdjdjd 89289 9382 92 jksdj 9823 298 I want to write a shell script which count the number of lines that start with the number (disregard the lines starting with alphabets) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grajp002
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of lines in a file with one condition

Hi Everyone, 1.txt Mon 08 Feb 2010 12:30:44 AM MYT;1265560244;e164:0000116047275464;T;Central;0; Mon 08 Feb 2010 12:30:46 AM MYT;1265560246;e164:0000116047275464;T;Central;0; Mon 08 Feb 2010 12:30:48 AM MYT;1265560248;e164:0000116047275464;T;Central;0; Mon 08 Feb 2010 12:30:50 AM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing two files and count number of lines that match

Hello all, I always found help for my problems using the search option, but this time my request is too specific. I have two files that I want to compare. File1 is the index and File2 contains the data: File1: chr1 protein_coding exon 500 600 . + . gene_id "20532";... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DerSeb
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

count number of lines between two tag

Hi I have a big xml file of having many data </Data> </Node> <Node> List <abc>3932590983 3396003964 3355713230</abc> </Data> </Node> </Data> </Node> <abc>3932590983 3396003964</abc>I want to count the lines present betweem tag starting with abc and ending with abc so o/p will be... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaysa123
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to count number of ~ from each line and compare with next line

Hi, I have created one shell script in which it will count number of "~" tilda charactors from each line of the file.But the problem is that i need to count each line count individually, that means. if line one contains 14 "~"s and line two contains 15 "~"s then it should give an error msg.each... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh Khandare
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the pipes "|" in line and delete line if count greter then number.

Hello, I have been working on Awk/sed one liner which counts the number of occurrences of '|' in pipe separated lines of file and delete the line from files if count exceeds "17". i.e need to get records having exact 17 pipe separated fields(no more or less) currently i have below : awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)