Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: New account blues !
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers New account blues ! Post 302824911 by Corona688 on Saturday 22nd of June 2013 01:40:40 AM
Old 06-22-2013
Opening ports <1024 takes root privileges.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NFS Blues

I have a situation where there are two SCO R5 Open Server Unix boxes in a remote location. The two boxes are inter-related via NFS mounts. My problem occurs when one of the boxes goes down, the NFS relationship stops the remaining machine from carrying on, even though it would be able to do so if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcs7088
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

D'oh! Apple Pro Keyboard Blues

My new Pro Keyboard works great, but the power switch on the computer won't turn the computer on! It's an older model, a Revision D iMac (333), but I know I've used the computer-mounted power switch to power the machine down before. Am I missing something? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chenly
1 Replies

3. Programming

xlib blues (XFree86 - Linux)

My goal is to open a window in the X-server and plot a series of pixels. However, I find many examples I have tried to draw to a window fail and the window remains blank. Therefore, I am here requesting information. I do not know c, and am a beginner. Currently, I am using a mix-match of code,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Alux
1 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Career blues!!!

Hi all, Just writing to know how to approach the situation. I am currently with 2+ exp in a support environment in Unix..mostly on the application side..have not done any Sysadmin work.. My interest is to move towards Unix admin or towards Storage/Networking side..But the problem is that my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ranj@chn
1 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

kde blues

So I'm pretty much a n00b when it comes to Unix but I've decided to give it a shot. I managed to install FreeBSD 6.2 on one partition of my hard drive on my laptop. During the installation I choose to install KDE, not wanting to deal with a non GUI operating system right away! However, whenever I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rinquisitor
1 Replies

6. Linux

Apply disk quota to account(dedicate 3 GB to account).

Hi , I am faceing lot of problem due to "disk space is not enough". senerio is like as, In system has 5 account. a,b,c,d,e say account c if very critical. Due to other user's data, user 'c' is faceing disk space issue. I want to dedicate 3 GB for user 'c'. No user... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashokd009
1 Replies

7. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

Simultaneously try to execute commands after connecting to remote account to one account

I have made password less connection to my remote account. and i tried to execute commands at a time. but i am unable to execute the commands. ssh $ACCOUNT_DETAILS@$HOST_DETAILS cd ~/JEE/*/logs/ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kishored005
1 Replies
PBIO(4)                                                  BSD/i386 Kernel Interfaces Manual                                                 PBIO(4)

NAME
pbio -- 8255 parallel peripheral interface basic I/O driver SYNOPSIS
device pbio In /boot/device.hints: hint.pbio.0.at="isa" hint.pbio.0.port="0x360" #include <dev/pbio/pbioio.h> DESCRIPTION
The pbio driver supports direct access to the Intel 8255A programmable peripheral interface (PPI) chip running in mode 0 (simple I/O). Such an interface provides 24 digital I/O lines. The driver is designed for performing I/O under program control using peripherals such as the Advantech PCL-724 card, which emulates the Intel 8255A PPI in mode 0. Other 8255A-based peripherals such as the BMC Messsysteme PIO24II card have also been reported to work. The PPI provides two 8-bit ports (port A and port B) and two 4-bit ports (port C upper, port C lower). Each port can be individually pro- grammed for input and (latched) output, and appears at a different offset of the device's base I/O address. A separate register allows the configuration of ports for input or output. The device is so simple, that reliably probing for it when input data arrives at its terminals is impossible; therefore the kernel configuration has to specify the device's base address. The device driver provides four character devices that correspond to the peripheral's I/O ports. Opening a device for read or write automatically configures the corresponding hardware port for input or output. At boot time all ports are set configured for input to avoid damaging external cir- cuitry. A set of ioctl(2) requests allow polled input and paced output to be efficiently performed at the driver level without expensive user/kernel context switching. The driver can perform I/O in three different ways: Basic The read or write operation returns immediately after reading or writing the data to the port at bus speed. Paced Data is transferred from or to the port at intervals specified by a separate ioctl(2) call. Differential (Input only.) Only port values that differ from the previous port value are returned. The pacing interval is specified in Hz unit increments. Setting a pace of n seconds will result in no more than one value being read or written every n seconds. Single byte read/write operations will take at least n seconds to complete. The following ioctl(2) calls are supported: PBIO_SETDIFF accepts a pointer to an integer as the third argument, and sets the driver for differential input if the integer is non-zero. The input pace speed determines the periodic interval the driver will use to examine the port for a changed value. PBIO_GETDIFF accepts a pointer to an integer as the third argument, and sets the integer to the last set value for differential input. PBIO_SETIPACE accepts a pointer to an integer as the third argument, and sets the driver's input pacing speed to the value of that integer. PBIO_GETIPACE accepts a pointer to an integer as the third argument, and sets the integer to the last set value for the input pace. PBIO_SETOPACE accepts a pointer to an integer as the third argument, and sets the driver's output pacing speed to the value of that integer. PBIO_GETOPACE accepts a pointer to an integer as the third argument, and sets the integer to the last set value for the output pace. FILES
/dev/pbio0a Port A (8 bit I/O). /dev/pbio0b Port B (8 bit I/O). /dev/pbio0ch Port C upper (4 bit I/O). /dev/pbio0cl Port C lower (4 bit I/O). SEE ALSO
Diomidis Spinellis, "The information furnace: Consolidated home control", Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, 1, 7, 53-69, 2003. HISTORY
The pbio device was first used under FreeBSD 4.1. AUTHORS
Diomidis D. Spinellis <dds@aueb.gr> BUGS
One of the PCL-724 card's inputs can optionally be wired to generate an interrupt. This feature is not supported. BSD January 14, 2005 BSD