Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cannot get the correct ans. Using awk in taking average Post 302824509 by Shenbaga.d on Friday 21st of June 2013 04:04:35 AM
Old 06-21-2013
Hi pravin,

the result is printing different the value is different,
that is not in the order as like in input, and it is printing in vertical line

---------- Post updated at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:25 PM ----------

Hi all,

instead of awk command can we use some other commends to calculate and
print it in correct order

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash/AWK Newbie taking on more than he can chew.

A few questions: I'm trying to use Bash (although I'm not against using AWK) to try to accomplish a few things, but I'm stumped on a few points. I'm learning most of the basics quickly: but there are a few things I can't figure out. 1. I'm trying to count the number of .txt files in a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asylus
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to average in awk

Hi, I have the data like this $1 $2 1 12 2 13 3 14 4 12 5 12 6 12 7 13 8 14 9 12 10 12 i want to compute average of $1 and $2 every 5th line (1-5 and 6-10) Please help me with awk Thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saint2006
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Average in awk

Hi I am looking for an awk script which can compute average of all the fields every 5th line. The file looks: A B C D E F G H I J K L M 1 18 13 14 12 14 13 11 12 12 15 15 15 2 17 17 13 13 13 12 12 11 12 14 15 14 3 16 16 12 12 12 11 11 12 11 16 14 13 4 15 15 11 11 11 12 11 12 11... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saint2006
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in extracting multiple files and taking average at same time

Hi, I have 20 files which have respective 50 lines with different values. I would like to process each line of the 50 lines in these 20 files one at a time and do an average of 3rd field ($3) of these 20 files. This will be output to an output file. Instead of using join to generate whole... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk error -- awk: 0602-562 Field $() is not correct.

typeset -i i=1 while read -r filename; do Splitfile=`$Targetfile_$i.txt` awk 'substr($0,1,5) == substr($filename,1,5) && substr($0,526,2) == substr($filename,6,2) && substr($0,750,12) == substr($filename,8,12)' $SourceFilename >> $Splitfile i=i+1 done < /tmp/list.out I am using this logic... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pukars4u
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Taking a average of a column of numbers

Hey all, I am relatively poor at programming and unfortunately don't have time to read about programming at this current moment. I wanted to be able to run a simple command to read a column of numbers in a file and give me the average of those numbers. In addition if I could specify the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leonidsg
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Taking the average of two columns and printing it on a new column

Hi, I have a space delimited text file that looks like the following: Aa 100 200 Bb 300 100 Cc X 500 Dd 600 X Basically, I want to take the average of columns 2 and 3 and print it in column 4. However if there is an X in either column 2 or 3, I want to print the non-X value. Therefore... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk solution for taking bins

Hi all, I'm looking for an awk solution for taking bins of data set. For example, if I have two columns of data that I wish to use for a scatter plot, and it contains 5 million lines, how can I take averages of every 100 points, 1000, 10000 etc... The idea is to take bins of the 5,000,000 points... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Taking inputs for awk

Hi, i want to print 2nd column value with the below script. I need to take input of the string i need to search in that file and file name. How can i take these two as inputs? using read command? Getting error for below script. echo "enter SID" read SID echo "enter filename" read filename... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_bd
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command line arguments not taking

# more minusf.awk #!/bin/awk -f BEGIN { FS=":"; } { if ( $2 == "" ) { print $1 ": no password!"; } } # ./minusf.awk aa aa aa aa awk: can't open aa (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sri.phani
6 Replies
SPLIT(1)								FSF								  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split - split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [OPTION] [INPUT [PREFIX]] DESCRIPTION
Output fixed-size pieces of INPUT to PREFIXaa, PREFIXab, ...; default PREFIX is `x'. With no INPUT, or when INPUT is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -a, --suffix-length=N use suffixes of length N (default 2) -b, --bytes=SIZE put SIZE bytes per output file -C, --line-bytes=SIZE put at most SIZE bytes of lines per output file -l, --lines=NUMBER put NUMBER lines per output file --verbose print a diagnostic to standard error just before each output file is opened --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit SIZE may have a multiplier suffix: b for 512, k for 1K, m for 1 Meg. AUTHOR
Written by Torbjorn Granlund and Richard M. Stallman. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for split is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and split programs are properly installed at your site, the command info split should give you access to the complete manual. split (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 SPLIT(1)