Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Exclude incomplete files in ls -rlt Post 302824499 by angshuman on Friday 21st of June 2013 03:39:23 AM
Old 06-21-2013
Exclude incomplete files in ls -rlt

Hi All,

I am bit puzzled with this requirement where I need to list the files in a directory. However, files are being continuously written to this folder through FTP. Hence I need to exclude the file which is being written at the time of listing the directory. I thought of using file time stamp. I can list files with timestamps 5 minutes before the time I run ls -lrt command. I believe time taken to ftp the file will not take more than 5 minutes based on my observation.
I am not sure how do I list file based on time. Any help on this is highly appreciated. If there is any other option, please let me know.

Thanks
Angshuman

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

append newline to files with incomplete last line

Hi all, Is there any way I can check a file for the linefeed character at the end of the file, and append one only if it is missing (ie. Incomplete last line)? Need to do this because I need to write a script to process files FTP-ed over from various machines, which may or may not be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ziyi
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join of files is incomplete?!

Hi folks, I am using the join command to join two files on a common field as follows: File1.txt Adsorption|H01.181.529.047 Adult|M01.060.116 Children|M01.055 File2.txt 5|Adsorption|C0001674 7|Adult|C000001 6|Children|C00002 join -i -t "|" -a 2 -1 1 -2 2 File1.txt File2.txt This... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: s0460205
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

du (exclude files)

Hi, I want to get the disk usage of a directory. But I want it to ignore a particular directory within it. Lets say I want disk usage of all files/dirs within dir1 except those that are named .snapshot Does du have the option of excluding a particular directory. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: the_learner
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore incomplete files

On Solaris & AIX, suppose there is a directory 'dir'. Log files of size approx 1MB are continuously being deposited here by scp command. I have a script that scans this dir every 5 mins and moves away the log files that have been deposited so far. How do I design my script so that I pick up... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sentak
6 Replies

5. Solaris

How to ignore incomplete files

On Solaris, suppose there is a directory 'dir'. Log files of size approx 1MB are continuously being deposited here by scp command. I have a script that scans this dir every 5 mins and moves away the log files that have been deposited so far. How do I design my script so that I pick up *only*... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sentak
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

list the files but exclude the files in subdirectories

If I execute the command "ls -l /export/home/abcde/dev/proj/code/* | awk -F' ' '{print $9}' | cut -d'/' -f6-8" it will list all the files in /export/home/abcde/dev/proj/code/ directory as well as the files in subdirectories also proj/code/test.sh proj/code/test1.c proj/code/unix... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shyjuezy
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to deal with incomplete image files

Sorry for the odd title, but I couldn't think of an easy way to describe my issue. Background I have a home security system that continually sends (via FTP) 4 different still images to a directory on my personal website - cam0.jpg, cam1.jpg, etc. I've written an extremely basic html script to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CinciJeff
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to exclude .NFSxxx files in clear old files batch script

I am new to Shell Scripting and need some help. The following batch job has been failing for me due to the .nfsxxx files in use. I need to know how to modify the following script to exclude the .nfsxxx files so this batch job will not fail on me. I have done lots of googling and keep coming back... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kimberlyg2007
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude files in ls

Hi, I need to exlucde the files which are present in exclude.txt from a directory exlcude.txt AUZ.txt AUZ.chk NZ.txt NZ.chk tried with below code but not working ls -ltr | grep -v `cat exclude.lst` (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Split Command Generating Incomplete Output Files

Hello All, May i please know how do i ensure my split command would NOT generate incomplete output files like below, the last lines in each file is missing some columns or last line is complete. split -b 50GB File File_ File_aa |551|70210203|xxxxxxx|12/22/2010 20:44:58|11/01/2010... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ariean
1 Replies
DH_COMPRESS(1)							     Debhelper							    DH_COMPRESS(1)

NAME
dh_compress - compress files and fix symlinks in package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_compress [debhelperoptions] [-Xitem] [-A] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_compress is a debhelper program that is responsible for compressing the files in package build directories, and makes sure that any symlinks that pointed to the files before they were compressed are updated to point to the new files. By default, dh_compress compresses files that Debian policy mandates should be compressed, namely all files in usr/share/info, usr/share/man, files in usr/share/doc that are larger than 4k in size, (except the copyright file, .html and other web files, image files, and files that appear to be already compressed based on their extensions), and all changelog files. Plus PCF fonts underneath usr/share/fonts/X11/ FILES
debian/package.compress These files are deprecated. If this file exists, the default files are not compressed. Instead, the file is ran as a shell script, and all filenames that the shell script outputs will be compressed. The shell script will be run from inside the package build directory. Note though that using -X is a much better idea in general; you should only use a debian/package.compress file if you really need to. OPTIONS
-Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being compressed. For example, -X.tiff will exclude TIFF files from compression. You may use this option multiple times to build up a list of things to exclude. -A, --all Compress all files specified by command line parameters in ALL packages acted on. file ... Add these files to the list of files to compress. CONFORMS TO
Debian policy, version 3.0 SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_COMPRESS(1)