Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: OSX read silent with prompt
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting OSX read silent with prompt Post 302824283 by jnojr on Thursday 20th of June 2013 02:06:11 PM
Old 06-20-2013
Question OSX read silent with prompt

A minor nitpick, but I cannot get a statement like:

Code:
read -s -n 1 -p "Say Y or N here" -e ANS

to actually hush the response. If I don't use the -p option, the response is silent. With it, I always see the response, and I've tried putting the -s in different spots. Is this a known issue, or am I doing something wrong?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

silent telnet

I have been using the following code for sending out an email from a AIX UNIX platform. cat filename | telnet mailhost 25 >/dev/null Time to time I get a message loopback: A specified file does not support the ioctl system call. Can anyone tell me what this means? I need this function... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cgardiner
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

SFTP silent login

Hi, I am connecting via SFTP to a remote Server. My problem is on trying to LOGin, I am asked for a password. I need to make this process automatic such that I can login without being prompted for a password. I can achieve this if the remote server has a simple FTP server and not SFTP. How... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sgaucho
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

echoed prompt not appearing until after read command.

I have a script I am runing on a hacked CDLinux live CD called from /etc/rc.d/rc.local. The part of th script in question goes like this. When run from rc.local the prompt "Centre name :" and the colour change does not appear until after I type the input text and press return. Also, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: simonb
2 Replies

4. Linux

Wine in silent mode

I want to run through wine the utorrent and I don't want the messages that are usually displayed in the console, so I use the following command wine utorrent.exe > /dev/null & but it doesn't seem to work. Especially the redirection of the messages to the /dev/null doesn't work at all. Do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: myle
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

read -p "prompt text" foo say "read: bad option(s)" in Bourne-Shell

Hallo, i need a Prompting read in my script: read -p "Enter your command: " command But i always get this Error: -p: is not an identifier When I run these in c-shell i get this error /usr/bin/read: read: bad option(s) How can I use a Prompt in the read command? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wiseguy
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Silent Background Process

I run a background process using '&'. (see example below) How can I suppress the '&' messages that are written to my console?? (lines 2 and 5) Current Output... 1 > ak@LATU ~> ls & 2 > 4000 3 > ak@LATU ~> 4 > apps/ dl/ gems/ todo/ tst/ util/ 5 > + Done ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andy210
1 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

How to prompt for login on OSX when starting Terminal

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to log back in to unix after logging out. I have a MBPro. If I don't have the window close after exiting, then there is the phrase 'process completed' in brackets with a blinking cursor, but I can't type anything in. Is it also possible to start the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pine email tool suppress prompt to save read messages

Could somebody please advise about how to configure pine/alpine so that on exit it doesn't prompt me to save read messages? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LeoKSimon
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

space after read prompt?

Hello, Unix-Forums. How can I make a Space after a read prompt? let's assume: read -p "Are you good?:" varthe output would be ( | is the cursor ): Are you good?:|But I want it to be: Are you good?: |That's what I mean. How would I do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: intelinside
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using read to prompt for editable user input in Bash 3

Below is a simple script to prompt for user input while suggesting an editable default value at the prompt: shortname=user1 read -e -i $shortname -p "Please enter the username you would like to add: " input USERNAME="${input:-$shortname}" Please enter the username you would like to add:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodson2
3 Replies
sip_get_resp_desc(3SIP) 			   Session Initiation Protocol Library Functions			   sip_get_resp_desc(3SIP)

NAME
sip_get_resp_desc - return the response phrase SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag ... ] file ... -lsip [ library ... ] #include <sip.h> char *sip_get_resp_desc(int *resp_code); DESCRIPTION
The sip_get_resp_desc() function returns the response phrase for the given response code in resp_code. The response code is not one that is listed in RFC 3261 (Section 21). The returned string is "UNKNOWN". RETURN VALUES
The value of errno is not changed by these calls in the event of an error. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
libsip(3LIB) SunOS 5.11 25 Jan 2007 sip_get_resp_desc(3SIP)