Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: 2 exec in find
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting 2 exec in find Post 302823929 by RudiC on Thursday 20th of June 2013 03:49:44 AM
Old 06-20-2013
man find:
Quote:
-ls True; list current file in ls -dils format on standard output. The block counts are of 1K blocks, unless the environment variable POSIXLY_CORRECT is set, in which case 512-byte blocks are used. See the UNUSUAL FILENAMES section for information about how unusual characters in filenames are handled.
Try
Code:
find . -name "*.log" -mtime +23 -ls -exec gzip {} \;

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find and exec

Hi, Happy new year. Would you be so kind to explain me what does this instruction : find /rep/app -type l -exec ls -l {} \;> allink.lst Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

| with find -exec

can we use |(pipe operator) with find -exec.....? or can pipe the output of find command to another command...? if not, why...? pls explain (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijay_0209
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using MV FIND and -EXEC

Hi, i would like to rename files in directories and subdirs. Files contains specific french or strange caracters. I want to replace all non alpha-numerics by _ (underscore) First, i made this, but i think the "for" is limited. How can i do this directly by FIND ? for file in $(find .... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: degraff63
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find Exec

Hello All, Is there a way to make exec do a couple of operations on a single input from find? For example, find . -type d -exec ls -l "{}" ";" I would like to give the result of each "ls -l" in the above to a wc. Is that possible? I want to ls -l | wc -l inside... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasanna1157
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find problem with exec

Hi, i want to make a script that calculates the total size in bytes from files from a directory(first argument) and displays "Total :xxxxx", the second argument must indicate the minimum size of files processed and the third argument indicates the path to a file that will save the processed file... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: MorpheusC
21 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Find and exec

Hello, I am a linux newbe. I want to install a program. I can download it only with wget command from internet. As far as i know this wget command does not transfer the exacutable flags. Because of that i wanted to find all configure files and change their mod to 744. I found this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: disconnectus
1 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Find and EXEC

This is a huge issue. and I need it fixed ASAP. account-system gate-system race_traffic_sensor achievement-system global race_voicepack admin glue-system realdriveby admin-system gps realism-system... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: austech360
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

find: missing argument to `-exec' while redirecting using find in perl

Hi Friends, Please help me to sort out this problem, I am running this in centos o/s and whenever I run this script I am getting "find: missing argument to `-exec' " but when I run the same code in the command line I didn't find any problem. I am using perl script to run this ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumarselvam
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command with -exec

Hi all, Please could someone help with the following command requirement. I basically need to find files NEWER than a given file and order the result on time. My attempt so far is as follows: find . -newer <file_name> -exec ls -lrt {} ;\ But I dont seem to get the right result... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyd
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What does the '\' in find -exec command

Hi, I have two scripts that remove files. One works fine and is coded find -name "syst*" -mtime +1 -exec rm {} \; The other is almost the same - only thing missing is the '\'. On that script though I keep getting: rm syst1202.file ? etc Does the \ make that difference or is it a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
3 Replies
UUCP(1C)																  UUCP(1C)

NAME
uucp, uulog - unix to unix copy SYNOPSIS
uucp [ option ] ... source-file ... destination-file uulog [ option ] ... DESCRIPTION
Uucp copies files named by the source-file arguments to the destination-file argument. A file name may be a path name on your machine, or may have the form system-name!pathname where `system-name' is taken from a list of system names which uucp knows about. Shell metacharacters ?*[] appearing in the pathname part will be expanded on the appropriate system. Pathnames may be one of(1) a full pathname; (2) a pathname preceded by ~user; where user is a userid on the specified system and is replaced by that user's login directory; (3) anything else is prefixed by the current directory. If the result is an erroneous pathname for the remote system the copy will fail. If the destination-file is a directory, the last part of the source-file name is used. Uucp preserves execute permissions across the transmission and gives 0666 read and write permissions (see chmod(2)). The following options are interpreted by uucp. -d Make all necessary directories for the file copy. -c Use the source file when copying out rather than copying the file to the spool directory. -m Send mail to the requester when the copy is complete. Uulog maintains a summary log of uucp and uux(1) transactions in the file `/usr/spool/uucp/LOGFILE' by gathering information from partial log files named `/usr/spool/uucp/LOG.*.?'. It removes the partial log files. The options cause uulog to print logging information: -ssys Print information about work involving system sys. -uuser Print information about work done for the specified user. FILES
/usr/spool/uucp - spool directory /usr/lib/uucp/* - other data and program files SEE ALSO
uux(1), mail(1) D. A. Nowitz, Uucp Implementation Description WARNING
The domain of remotely accessible files can (and for obvious security reasons, usually should) be severely restricted. You will very likely not be able to fetch files by pathname; ask a responsible person on the remote system to send them to you. For the same reasons you will probably not be able to send files to arbitrary pathnames. BUGS
All files received by uucp will be owned by uucp. The -m option will only work sending files or receiving a single file. (Receiving multiple files specified by special shell characters ?*[] will not activate the -m option.) UUCP(1C)