Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Find and Chown all files in a DIR except for Root Post 302823697 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 19th of June 2013 04:32:23 PM
Old 06-19-2013
Code:
find . -user user1 -exec chown  user1:group1 {} \;

Lose the -R, find will traverse subdirectories for you and -R can change EVERYTHING in the subdirectories if misused.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setuid root and chown

I am trying to run chown and chmod from a script owned by root. The permissions are set to 4755 so that users can execute the script as root. However, when I run the script as a user other than root, I get "Operation not permitted" for both chown and chmod. Any ideas as to why this is? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnmsucpe
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

root dir ? home dir ?

I am little bit confused when the words "root directory" and "home directory" and "parent directory" are used. Can anybody explains the difference. I am trying to list the names and protections levels and size of visible files in the root directory would it be correct if I just typed: ls... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hinman
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and purge a files in a dir

HI All, I have recuirement to purge the files in a directory . In that directory i an having many sub-directory . When i use find command like find ~/work/test/insert -name "*.*" -mtime +12 it is listing the file not accesed before 12 , It also takes the subdirectories inside the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find sticky bit dir/files

I need to find all sticky bit dir/files on my system and clean them up if necessary. How to I write a script to do this? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdtak
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chown -R under root directory

Hi I executed command "chown -R xxx:xxx /" with user root... and it was too late when I found the mistake. Ownership of some files under the root directory had already become xxx:xxx. Is there a way that can recovery the ownership of all my files back to the point where they were? I really thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: password636
2 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

CPIO Problem, copy to the root dir / instead of current dir

HI all, I got a CPIO archive that contains a unix filesystem that I try to extract, but it extract to the root dir / unstead of current dir, and happily it detects my file are newer otherwise it would have overwrited my system's file! I tried all these commands cpio -i --make-directories <... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nekkro-kvlt
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

A script to find dir, delete files in, and then del dir?

Hello!! I have directories from 2008, with files in them. I want to create a script that will find the directoried from 2008 (example directory: drwxr-xr-x 2 isplan users 1024 Nov 21 2008 FILES_112108), delete the files within those directories and then delete the directories... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the find command to find exact dir from the root

I want to find a dir called STOP from the root.so what is the find command. Thanks & Regards Rajkumar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajkumar_g
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chown: Operation not permitted as root

Hi Expert, I am trying to change ownership of one file to another user that is exist in the system but getting operation not permitted error what could be the correct way? # ls -lh .Xauthority_ori -rw------- 1 maxim atlas 2.8K Jul 27 17:18 .Xauthority_ori # id -a uid=0(root)... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: regmaster
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH - Find paths of multiple files in CC (dir and sub-dir))

Dear Members, I have a list of xml files like abc.xml.table prq.xml.table ... .. . in a txt file. Now I have to search the file(s) in all directories and sub-directories and print the full path of file in a output txt file. Please help me with the script or command to do so. ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yoodit
11 Replies
talk(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   talk(1)

Name
       talk, otalk - talk to another user

Syntax
       talk person [ttyname]

otalk person [ttyname]

Description
       The command is a visual communication program which copies lines from your terminal to that of another user.

If  you	wish to talk to someone on your own machine, then person is just the person's login name. If you wish to talk to a user on another
       host, then person is of the form :
       host!user
	or
       host.user
	or
       host:user
	or
       user@host
       The form user@host is perhaps preferred.

If you want to talk to a user who is logged in more than once, the ttyname argument may be used to indicate the appropriate terminal name.

When first called, it sends the message
       Message from TalkDaemon@his_machine...
       talk: connection requested by your_name@your_machine.
       talk: respond with: talk your_name@your_machine

to the user you wish to talk to. At this point, the recipient of the message should reply by typing
       talk  your_name@your_machine

It doesn't matter from which machine the recipient replies, as long as his login-name is the same.  Once communication is established,  the
       two parties may type simultaneously, with their output appearing in separate windows.  Typing Ctrl-L will cause the screen to be reprinted,
       while your erase, kill, and word kill characters will work in talk as normal.  To exit, just type your interrupt character; then moves  the
       cursor to the bottom of the screen and restores the terminal.

Permission to talk may be denied or granted by use of the mesg command.	At the outset talking is allowed.  Certain commands, in particular
       and disallow messages in order to prevent messy output.

In order to use the program with machines on your network that may be running earlier versions of ULTRIX, you must initiate a session  with
       the  command (/usr/ucb/otalk) instead of the command You must also respond to a request from a machine running an older version of the pro-
       gram with the command. See the Restrictions section.

Examples
       The following example demonstrates how to use the command.  In this case, user1, whose system (system1) is running ULTRIX V2.2 initiates  a
       session with user2, whose system (system2) is running ULTRIX V3.0.  User1 types the following:
       system1> talk user2@system2
       The following message appears on the screen of user2:
       Message from Talk_Daemon@system2 at 12:37 ...
       talk: connection requested by user1@system1.
       talk: respond with:  otalk user1@system1
       To establish the connection user2 follows the instructions from the Talk_Daemon and types the following at the system prompt:
       system2> otalk user1@system1

Restrictions
       The  version  of  released  with ULTRIX V3.0 uses a protocol that is incompatible with the protocol used in earlier versions. Starting with
       ULTRIX V3.0, the program communicates with other machines running ULTRIX, V3.0 (and later), and machines running 4.3  BSD  or  versions	of
       UNIX based on 4.3 BSD.

The command is not 8-bit clean. Typing in DEC Multinational Characters (DECMCS) causes the characters to echo as a sequence of a carets (^)
       followed by the character represented with its high bit cleared. This limitation makes unusable if you want to communicate using a language
       which has DECMCS characters in its alphabet.

Files
       to find the recipient's machine

to find the recipient's tty

See Also
       mail(1), mesg(1), who(1), write(1), talkd(8c)

talk(1)