Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Execution problem with shell script for modifying a user Post 302823235 by rajamadhavan on Wednesday 19th of June 2013 04:41:00 AM
Old 06-19-2013
Code:
#/bin/sh 
echo "enter the user name" 
read username 
echo "Enter new home directory" 
read newhd 
usermod -d $newhd $username

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying a csv file from Shell Script

Hi all, I have some script that creates a temp csv file. What I need to do is do some search and replace and modify the file from my shell script. I know the commands to open the file and then apply the reg ex but wasnt sure how I could do this from a script and modify the file? Any help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: not4google
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with shell script execution

Hi All, i am running a shell script in which there is a command `ps -ef | grep smon > db` When i execute this command in the command prompt i am getting the desired output..but when the script is executed..the db file is getting created but with no values...I could not find the reason for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anju
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

User input for execution of script

Hi, I need to get the user input and execute a particular script based on the input provided. For E.g. When I execute the script say Test.sh it should prompt "For which country I need to execute the script? (US/India)" Based on the input as US or India from the user the execution of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoursdavinder
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution problem with shell script

Hi all, I want to use perl string manipulation commands in my shell script. I have written following script. echo "enter name" read name perl -e '$m=length($name); echo $m it gives an error: unrecognized token in perl command line. do not suggest me an equivalent command of shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: admc123
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modifying a shell script without using an editor

Hi all, I really wan't to know that how to edit a shell script with out using an editor.. Is there any command? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: buddhi
4 Replies

6. Programming

Perl script remote execution as another user

Hi gurus, I have a requirement where I need to remotely run a perl script as another user. Running the script locally as the required user is fine, however I need to su with the script due to filesystem permission issues. I do not want to update permissions on the remote server due to security... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: melias
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Execution problem in shell script while insert into DB

Hi, am facing some problem while inserting a record into a script Please find script below. `sqlplus -s asdf/asdf123 <<eof! set feedback off; set heading off; set verify off; insert into... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: senkerth
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying contents of the file in shell script

Hello all, I have a Kconfig file that looks like something below ... ================================ menu "Application type" config GUI_TYPE_STANDARD bool "Standard Application" source "cfg/config/std.in" source... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying/Adding in the DNS server entry using shell script

Dear Experts. I need to add/modify the entries in the DNS server and this has to be achieved using shell script and below is the requirement, could you please let me know if a shell script can be written for this task? 1. Log in to primary DNS server 2. Check /etc/named.conf if zone is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: VKIRUPHAKARAN
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying the shell script to select pattern

Hello, I have script which work 70% of the desired task , the output from script.sh is following , however the desired output I require is following . Any piece of suggestion would be great.. thanks in advance, emily #!/bin/bash ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
8 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)