Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Wait for one processes to complete in a shell script Post 302823141 by rajamadhavan on Wednesday 19th of June 2013 01:49:00 AM
Old 06-19-2013
Unless you run a.sh with a '&', it should wait for a.sh to complete to start b.sh. you may also give a sleep time after a.sh and b.sh just to be sure.

Post your script snippet for better answers.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: wait for process to complete

I'm using PERL on windows NT to try to run an extract of data. I have multiple zip files in multiple locations. I am extracting "*.t" from zip files and subsequently adding that file to one zip file so when the script is complete I should have one zip file with a whole bunch of ".t" files in it. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wait for Background Process to complete

I am attempting within a for-loop, to have my shell script (Solaris v8 ksh) wait until a copy file command to complete before continueing. The specific code is: for files in $(<inputfile.lst) do mv directory/$files directory/$files ksh -m -i bg %% wait $! done I am shaky on the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gozer13
3 Replies

3. Programming

Howto spawn multiple child processes and wait?

As far as I can tell, the bash wait command waits for a logical "AND" of all the child processes. Assuming I am coding in C: (1) What is the function I would use to create multiple bash child process running perl? (2) What is the function I would use to reinvent the bash wait command so I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

wait for 5 seconds in shell script

hi how can i wait for 5 seconds inside my shell script? 'wait 5' command doesnot seem to be working? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopsman
2 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

hdparm + HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) (wait for flush complete) failed: Inappropriate ioctl

Hi All, Am finding performance of my SD card using hdparm. hdparm -tT /dev/BlockDev0 /dev/BlockDev0: Timing cached reads: 1118 MB in 2.00 seconds = 558.61 MB/sec HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) (wait for flush complete) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device Timing buffered disk reads: 14... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amio
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do you wait for command substitution processes to complete?

When running a command using the >(cmd) syntax in bash how do you wait for the command to complete before moving on in your script? Here is a simple example: zcat largefile.gz | tee >(wc && echo “HELLO”) > /dev/null # I tried wait, here but it doesn't wait for the process in the subshell.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrvwman
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling a shell script in background and wait using "wait" in while loop

Hi, I am facing a strange issue, when i call a script from my while loop in background it doesnt go in background, despite the wait i put below the whil loop it goes forward even before the process put in background is completed. cat abc.txt | while read -u4 line do #if line contains #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mihirvora16
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

In Shell Script Does Second Command Wait For First Command To Complete

Hi All, I have a question related to Shell scripting. In my shell script, I have following two commands in sequence: sed 's/^/grep "^120" /g' $ORIGCHARGEDAMTLIST|sed "s;$;| cut -f$FIELD_NO1 -d '|' | awk '{ sum+=\$1} END {printf (\"%0.2f\\\n\", sum/100)}' >$TEMPFILE mv $TEMPFILE $ORIGFILE... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Help with shell Script ,wait for some files for some time??

Hi All, I have the requirement that ,i have to write a shell script that job has to wait for a 7 touch files created by another application for 4 hours, if i get all 7 touch files ,i have to send a mail that i jobs are completed, if if it is waiting for more than 4 hours i have to send a mail... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradeep Shetty
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script parallel tasks and command to wait untill complete?

Hello, im having bash script with while *** command1 && command2 && command3 && done i want to ask how i can prevent overloading server, by waiting untill all commands complete? any low resources intensive command like "wait" - i dont know if exist? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: postcd
2 Replies
SLEEPENH(1)						      General Commands Manual						       SLEEPENH(1)

NAME
sleepenh - an enhanced sleep program. SYNOPSIS
sleepenh [initial-time] sleep-time DESCRIPTION
sleepenh is a program that can be used when there is a need to execute some functions periodically in a shell script. It was not designed to be accurate for a single sleep, but to be accurate in a sequence of consecutive sleeps. After a successful execution, it returns to stdout the timestamp it finished running, that can be used as initial-time to a successive exe- cution of sleepenh. OPTIONS
There are no command line options. Run it without any option to get a brief help and version. ARGUMENTS
sleep-time is a real number in seconds, with microseconds resolution (1 minute, 20 seconds and 123456 microseconds would be 80.123456). initial-time is a real number in seconds, with microseconds resolution. This number is system dependent. In GNU/Linux systems, it is the number of seconds since midnight 1970-01-01 GMT. Do not try to get a good value of initial-time. Use the value supplied by a previous exe- cution of sleepenh. If you don't specify initial-time, it is assumed the current-time. EXIT STATUS
An exit status greater or equal to 10 means failure. Known exit status: 0 Success. 1 Success. There was no need to sleep. (means that initial-time + sleep-time was greater than current-time). 10 Failure. Missing command line arguments. 11 Failure. Did not receive SIGALRM. 12 Failure. Argument is not a number. 13 Failure. System error, could not get current time. USAGE EXAMPLE
Suppose you need to send the char 'A' to the serial port ttyS0 every 4 seconds. This will do that: #!/bin/sh TIMESTAMP=`sleepenh 0` while true; do # send the byte to ttyS0 echo -n "A" > /dev/ttyS0; # just print a nice message on screen echo -n "I sent 'A' to ttyS0, time now is "; sleepenh 0; # wait the required time TIMESTAMP=`sleepenh $TIMESTAMP 4.0`; done HINT
This program can be used to get the current time. Just execute: sleepenh 0 BUGS
It is not accurate for a single sleep. Short sleep-times will also not be accurate. SEE ALSO
date(1), sleep(1). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Pedro Zorzenon Neto. 2008/04/20 SLEEPENH(1)