Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Length of a fixed width file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Length of a fixed width file Post 302823139 by rveri on Wednesday 19th of June 2013 01:48:34 AM
Old 06-19-2013
Amrutha24,

Code:
wc -L 

-L, --max-line-length
              print the length of the longest line

and the awk code you are using are not the same. This code will print the length of the first line only.
Code:
awk '{print length;exit}'

To print the max length of any line of the file you can use this with awk :

Code:
awk '{if(max=="") {max=length($0)};if(length($0)>max){max=length($0)}}END{print max}'  file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fixed Width file using AWK

I am using the following command at the Unix prompt to make my 'infile' into a fixed width file of 100 characters. awk '{printf "%-100s\n",$0}' infile > outfile However, there are some records with a special character "©" These records are using 3 characters in place of one and my record... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alok.benjwal
2 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Help with Fixed width File Parsing

I am trying to parse a Fixed width file with data as below. I am trying to assign column values from each record to variables. When I parse the data, the spaces in all coumns are dropped. I would like to retain the spaces as part of the dat stored in the variables. Any help is appreciated. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sate911
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining Two fixed width columns to a variable length file

Hi, I have two files. File1: File1 contains two fixed width columns ID of 15 characters length and Name is of 100 characters length. ID Name 1-43<<11 spaces>>Swapna<<94 spaces>> 1-234<<10 spaces>>Mani<<96 spaces>> 1-3456<<9 spaces>>Kapil<<95 spaces>> File2: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manneni prakash
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing column of variable length anf fixed width file

Hi, I have two input files. File1: ID Name Place 1-234~name1~Newyork 1-34~name2~Boston 1-2345~name3~Hungary File1 is a variable length file where each column is seperated by delimitter "~". File2: ID Country 1-34<<11 SPACES>>USA<<7 spaces>> 1-234<<10 SPACES>>UK<<8... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manneni prakash
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What the command to find out the record length of a fixed length file?

I want to find out the record length of a fixed length file? I forgot the command. Any body know? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tranq01
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert a tab delimited/variable length file to fixed length file

Hi, all. I need to convert a file tab delimited/variable length file in AIX to a fixed lenght file delimited by spaces. This is the input file: 10200002<tab>US$ COM<tab>16/12/2008<tab>2,3775<tab>2,3783 19300978<tab>EURO<tab>16/12/2008<tab>3,28523<tab>3,28657 And this is the expected... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Everton_Silveir
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fixed-Width file from Oracle

Hi All, I have created a script which generates FIXED-WIDTH file by executing Oracle query. SELECT RPAD(NVL(col1,CHR(9)),20)||NVL(col2,CHR(9))||NVL(col3,CHR(9) FROM XYZ It generates the data file with proper alignment. But if same file i transfer to windows server or Mainframe... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit.Sagpariya
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manupulating Records in a fixed width file

I am trying to determine what would be a fast and simple way to manipulate data that comes in a fixed width format. This data has 6 segments within a record. Each record needs to written out with a header and the 6 segments. Based on the value in column #6 the fields will be defined accordingly.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muga801
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two fixed width file

Hi Guys I am checking the treads to get the answer but i am not able to get the answer for my question. I have two files. First file is a pattern file and the second file is the file i want to search in it. Output will be the lines from file2. File1: P2797f12af 44751228... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshul_er
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alter Fixed Width File

Thank u so much .Its working fine as expected. ---------- Post updated at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:46 PM ---------- I need one more help. I have another file(fixed length) that will get negative value (ex:-00000000003000) in postion (98 - 112) then i have to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinus
6 Replies
TRAYER(1)						      General Commands Manual							 TRAYER(1)

NAME
trayer - a lightweight GTK2-based systray for UNIX desktop SYNOPSIS
trayer -h trayer -v trayer [--edge left|right|top|bottom|none] [--align left|right|center] [--margin <size>] [--widthtype request|pixel|percent ] [--width <size>] [--heighttype <pixel>] [--height <size>] [--SetDockType true|false] [--SetPartialStrut true|false] [--transparent true|false] [--alpha <value>] [--tint <color>] [--distance <length>] [--distancefrom left|right|top|bottom|none] [--expand true|false] [--padding <size>] DESCRIPTION
trayer is a small program designed to provide system tray similar to these in GNOME / KDE desktop environments for window managers which does not support that function. It is similar to other applications such as peksystray and docker. System tray is a place, where many applications put their icons, so they are always visible. Such icons may present status of an applica- tion and allow user to control the program. trayer's code was extracted from fbpanel application, you can find more about it on its homepage: http://fbpanel.sourceforge.net/. OPTIONS
This programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --help -h Show summary of options and exit. --version -v Show version of program and exit. --edge left|right|top|bottom|none Specifies a screen edge to use. --align left|center|right Specifies an align of the icons. --margin <size> Specifies length of margin (in pixels) --widthtype request|pixel|percent Specifies method of calculating trayer's window width: request Follow application icons' size, so trayer may shrink or expand dynamically. pixel Set a fixed size, given with --width option in pixels. percent Set a fixed size, given with --width option in percentage of a length of screen edge. --width <size> Width of trayer's window. Ignored when --widthtype is set to request. --heighttype request|pixel|percent Specifies method of calculating trayer's window height: request Follow application icons' size, so trayer may shrink or expand dynamically. pixel Set a fixed size, given with --height option in pixels. percent Set a fixed size, given with --height option in percentage of a length of screen edge. --height <size> Height of trayer's window. Ignored when --heighttype is set to request. --SetDockType true|false Identify panel window type as dock. --SetPartialStrut true|false Reserve panel space so that it will not be covered by maximized windows. --transparent true|false Use transparency. --alpha <value> Percentage of transparency (0 - nontransparent, 255 - fully transparent) --tint <color> Color used to tint transparent background. Color is given as a 24-bit C hexadecimal integer, for example: 0xff0000 is red, 0xff8800 is orange and 0x00ff00 is green. --distance <length> Specifies distance between trayer's window and screen edge (in pixels) --distancefrom <edge> Specifies which edge to calculate distance from, see above. --expand true|false Specifies whether trayer may accommodate extra space when there is too much icons. --padding <size> Extra space between icons and trayer window's border. --monitor NUM|STRING Define the monitor on which you like trayer to appear, number of zero to number of monitors minus one, or the string "primary" are valid. The default value is 0. SEE ALSO
fbpanel(1) AUTHORS
Anatoly Asviyan <aanatoly@users.sf.net> - fbpanel Rafal Bisingier <ravbc@man.poznan.pl> Maciej Delmanowski <harnir@users.berlios.de> Grzegorz Nieweglowski <hoppke@dobremiasto.net> Thomas Rydzynski This manual page was written by Tomasz Melcer <liori@interia.pl>. FVWM-Crystal Feb 14, 2005 TRAYER(1)