Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with selecting files from "diff" output Post 302822965 by DGPickett on Tuesday 18th of June 2013 12:32:44 PM
Old 06-18-2013
Sorry, need more robust effort; use quotes around $f, like
Code:
if [ "" = "$(cmp xx/'$f' xx_Arc/'$f' 2>&1)" ]

Since the whole is already in double quotes, a single quote does not upset that quoting and it does not prevent expanding $f, since the single quote, in double quotes, is a literal for itself, not a live quote, yet. The expanded $f is in single quotes, so spaces are OK unless it gets passed through some shell again not properly quoted. For instance, a shell script should accept parameters as "$1" not barefoot, in case of meta-characters.

Now, if you have a file with a quote character in the name, anothe flavor of dealing with it is to convert anymets-characterslike space and quote into '?', a wild card for a single character but otherwise not a space or quote. In this case, just stick a '| tr ' ' '?' " before the "| while read " and all the spaces become '?'. Just make sure that the last use of it is barefoot so the shell can expand it and virtually quote it as $1 or whatever to the C program. In actuality, by that time it is converted to a null terminated string pointed to by some member of the argv[] array of character pointers. Quoting become start here and null terminate there in machine language. The C open() call and such can deal with the embedded spaces just fine, it is the shell that divides it into two or more arguments when it finds a $IFS character.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

reformat the output from "diff" command

Hi all, I use the diff command and got the output: $> diff -e file1.txt file2.txt 15a 000675695 Yi Chen Chen 200520 EASY 50 2/28/05 0:00 SCAD Debit Card Charge . 12a 000731176 Sarah Anderson 200520 EASY 25 2/28/05 0:00 SCAD Debit Card Charge . 11a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: CamTu
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

diff on c-source file always returns "files differ"

I have a c-source file that is evidently seen by unix as a binary file. When doing a diff between it and older versions with substantial differences, diff will only return "files differ". I have tried cat-ing the file to another file; tried using the "-h" on the diff; I have tried ftp-ing it... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: C-Prog-Man
7 Replies

3. Debian

Debian: doubt in "top" %CPU and "sar" output

Hi All, I am running my application on a dual cpu debian linux 3.0 (2.4.19 kernel). For my application: <sar -U ALL> CPU %user %nice %system %idle ... 10:58:04 0 153.10 0.00 38.76 0.00 10:58:04 1 3.88 0.00 4.26 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaduks
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

error "integer expression expected" when selecting values

dear members, I am having some difficulties with an automation script that I am writing. We have equipments deployed over our network that generate status messages and I was trying an automated method to collect all information. I did a expect script that telnet all devices, logs, asks for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jorlando
4 Replies

5. Solaris

significance of "+" char in SunOS "ls -l" output

Hi, I've noticed that the permissions output from "ls -l" under SunOS differs from Linux in that after the "rwxrwxrwx" field, there is an additional "+" character that may or may not be there. What is the significance of this character? Thanks, Suan (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sayeo
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explanation of "total" field in "ls -l" command output

When I do a listing in one particular directory (ls -al) I get: total 43456 drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 4096 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3701594 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3108510 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3070580 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3099733 -rwxrwxr-x 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Join" or "Merge" more than 2 files into single output based on common key (column)

Hi All, I have working (Perl) code to combine 2 input files into a single output file using the join function that works to a point, but has the following limitations: 1. I am restrained to 2 input files only. 2. Only the "matched" fields are written out to the "matched" output file and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Katabatic
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all log files older than 10 day and whose first string of the first line is "MSH" or "<?xml"

Dear Ladies & Gents, I have a requirement to delete all the log files in /var/log/test directory that are older than 10 days and their first line begin with "MSH" or "<?xml" or "FHS". I've put together the following BASH script, but it's erroring out: for filename in $(find /var/log/test... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hiroshi
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
LESSECHO(1)						      General Commands Manual						       LESSECHO(1)

NAME
lessecho - expand metacharacters SYNOPSIS
lessecho [-ox] [-cx] [-pn] [-dn] [-mx] [-nn] [-ex] [-a] file ... DESCRIPTION
lessecho is a program that simply echos its arguments on standard output. But any argument containing spaces is enclosed in quotes. OPTIONS
A summary of options is included below. -ox Specifies "x" to be the open quote character. -cx Specifies "x" to be the close quote character. -pn Specifies "n" to be the open quote character, as an integer. -dn Specifies "n" to be the close quote character, as an integer. -mx Specifies "x" to be a metachar. -nn Specifies "n" to be a metachar, as an integer. -ex Specifies "x" to be the escape char for metachars. -fn Specifies "n" to be the escape char for metachars, as an integer. -a Specifies that all arguments are to be quoted. The default is that only arguments containing spaces are quoted. SEE ALSO
less(1) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Thomas Schoepf <schoepf@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). Send bug reports or comments to bug-less@gnu.org. Version 444: 09 Jun 2011 LESSECHO(1)