Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: New account blues !
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers New account blues ! Post 302822911 by vbe on Tuesday 18th of June 2013 11:05:59 AM
Old 06-18-2013
But as said preciously some daemons only run as root for they need high privileges to work correctly: ntpd can change system time, who else except root can do that?
Doing an su as root to an account is enough to launch anything with the new user's ID since after su you have now a new shell with that user's ID... till you exit...

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NFS Blues

I have a situation where there are two SCO R5 Open Server Unix boxes in a remote location. The two boxes are inter-related via NFS mounts. My problem occurs when one of the boxes goes down, the NFS relationship stops the remaining machine from carrying on, even though it would be able to do so if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcs7088
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

D'oh! Apple Pro Keyboard Blues

My new Pro Keyboard works great, but the power switch on the computer won't turn the computer on! It's an older model, a Revision D iMac (333), but I know I've used the computer-mounted power switch to power the machine down before. Am I missing something? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chenly
1 Replies

3. Programming

xlib blues (XFree86 - Linux)

My goal is to open a window in the X-server and plot a series of pixels. However, I find many examples I have tried to draw to a window fail and the window remains blank. Therefore, I am here requesting information. I do not know c, and am a beginner. Currently, I am using a mix-match of code,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Alux
1 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Career blues!!!

Hi all, Just writing to know how to approach the situation. I am currently with 2+ exp in a support environment in Unix..mostly on the application side..have not done any Sysadmin work.. My interest is to move towards Unix admin or towards Storage/Networking side..But the problem is that my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ranj@chn
1 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

kde blues

So I'm pretty much a n00b when it comes to Unix but I've decided to give it a shot. I managed to install FreeBSD 6.2 on one partition of my hard drive on my laptop. During the installation I choose to install KDE, not wanting to deal with a non GUI operating system right away! However, whenever I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rinquisitor
1 Replies

6. Linux

Apply disk quota to account(dedicate 3 GB to account).

Hi , I am faceing lot of problem due to "disk space is not enough". senerio is like as, In system has 5 account. a,b,c,d,e say account c if very critical. Due to other user's data, user 'c' is faceing disk space issue. I want to dedicate 3 GB for user 'c'. No user... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashokd009
1 Replies

7. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

Simultaneously try to execute commands after connecting to remote account to one account

I have made password less connection to my remote account. and i tried to execute commands at a time. but i am unable to execute the commands. ssh $ACCOUNT_DETAILS@$HOST_DETAILS cd ~/JEE/*/logs/ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kishored005
1 Replies
SETUID(1)						      General Commands Manual							 SETUID(1)

NAME
setuid - run a command with a different uid. SYNOPSIS
setuid username|uid command [ args ] DESCRIPTION
Setuid changes user id, then executes the specified command. Unlike some versions of su(1), this program doesn't ever ask for a password when executed with effective uid=root. This program doesn't change the environment; it only changes the uid and then uses execvp() to find the command in the path, and execute it. (If the command is a script, execvp() passes the command name to /bin/sh for processing.) For example, setuid some_user $SHELL can be used to start a shell running as another user. Setuid is useful inside scripts that are being run by a setuid-root user -- such as a script invoked with super, so that the script can execute some commands using the uid of the original user, instead of root. This allows unsafe commands (such as editors and pagers) to be used in a non-root mode inside a super script. For example, an operator with permission to modify a certain protected_file could use a super command that simply does: cp protected_file temp_file setuid $ORIG_USER ${EDITOR:-/bin/vi} temp_file cp temp_file protected_file (Note: don't use this example directly. If the temp_file can somehow be replaced by another user, as might be the case if it's kept in a temporary directory, there will be a race condition in the time between editing the temporary file and copying it back to the protected file.) AUTHOR
Will Deich local SETUID(1)