Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: New account blues !
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers New account blues ! Post 302822847 by vbe on Tuesday 18th of June 2013 09:38:14 AM
Old 06-18-2013
Some daemons must run as root you know ( you can be sure all the one using ports under 1000 for a start...) Maybe if you explained a bit more what you are trying we may be of more help ... what do you call in user mode? (interactive???)

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NFS Blues

I have a situation where there are two SCO R5 Open Server Unix boxes in a remote location. The two boxes are inter-related via NFS mounts. My problem occurs when one of the boxes goes down, the NFS relationship stops the remaining machine from carrying on, even though it would be able to do so if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcs7088
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

D'oh! Apple Pro Keyboard Blues

My new Pro Keyboard works great, but the power switch on the computer won't turn the computer on! It's an older model, a Revision D iMac (333), but I know I've used the computer-mounted power switch to power the machine down before. Am I missing something? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chenly
1 Replies

3. Programming

xlib blues (XFree86 - Linux)

My goal is to open a window in the X-server and plot a series of pixels. However, I find many examples I have tried to draw to a window fail and the window remains blank. Therefore, I am here requesting information. I do not know c, and am a beginner. Currently, I am using a mix-match of code,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Alux
1 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Career blues!!!

Hi all, Just writing to know how to approach the situation. I am currently with 2+ exp in a support environment in Unix..mostly on the application side..have not done any Sysadmin work.. My interest is to move towards Unix admin or towards Storage/Networking side..But the problem is that my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ranj@chn
1 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

kde blues

So I'm pretty much a n00b when it comes to Unix but I've decided to give it a shot. I managed to install FreeBSD 6.2 on one partition of my hard drive on my laptop. During the installation I choose to install KDE, not wanting to deal with a non GUI operating system right away! However, whenever I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rinquisitor
1 Replies

6. Linux

Apply disk quota to account(dedicate 3 GB to account).

Hi , I am faceing lot of problem due to "disk space is not enough". senerio is like as, In system has 5 account. a,b,c,d,e say account c if very critical. Due to other user's data, user 'c' is faceing disk space issue. I want to dedicate 3 GB for user 'c'. No user... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashokd009
1 Replies

7. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

Simultaneously try to execute commands after connecting to remote account to one account

I have made password less connection to my remote account. and i tried to execute commands at a time. but i am unable to execute the commands. ssh $ACCOUNT_DETAILS@$HOST_DETAILS cd ~/JEE/*/logs/ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kishored005
1 Replies
SETUID(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 SETUID(2)

NAME
setuid - set user identity SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <unistd.h> int setuid(uid_t uid); DESCRIPTION
setuid() sets the effective user ID of the calling process. If the effective UID of the caller is root, the real UID and saved set-user-ID are also set. Under Linux, setuid() is implemented like the POSIX version with the _POSIX_SAVED_IDS feature. This allows a set-user-ID (other than root) program to drop all of its user privileges, do some un-privileged work, and then reengage the original effective user ID in a secure man- ner. If the user is root or the program is set-user-ID-root, special care must be taken. The setuid() function checks the effective user ID of the caller and if it is the superuser, all process-related user ID's are set to uid. After this has occurred, it is impossible for the program to regain root privileges. Thus, a set-user-ID-root program wishing to temporarily drop root privileges, assume the identity of an unprivileged user, and then regain root privileges afterwards cannot use setuid(). You can accomplish this with seteuid(2). RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EAGAIN The uid does not match the current uid and uid brings process over its RLIMIT_NPROC resource limit. EPERM The user is not privileged (Linux: does not have the CAP_SETUID capability) and uid does not match the real UID or saved set-user-ID of the calling process. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, POSIX.1-2001. Not quite compatible with the 4.4BSD call, which sets all of the real, saved, and effective user IDs. NOTES
Linux Notes Linux has the concept of file system user ID, normally equal to the effective user ID. The setuid() call also sets the file system user ID of the calling process. See setfsuid(2). If uid is different from the old effective uid, the process will be forbidden from leaving core dumps. SEE ALSO
getuid(2), seteuid(2), setfsuid(2), setreuid(2), capabilities(7), credentials(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2010-02-21 SETUID(2)