Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Merging tables: identifiying common and unique elements Post 302822723 by MadeInGermany on Tuesday 18th of June 2013 05:47:32 AM
Old 06-18-2013
Code:
awk '{s[$2]=$0; c[$2]++} END {for (i in s) print s[i],c[i]}' *.tab

By indexing with field $2, a duplicate is overwritten in array s, and further increases the count in array c. Array s simply stores the whole line - it would save some memory to leave out the field $2.
At the end it prints all elements of array s (in a random order) together with the conter in array c (in the same order). The i variable is equal to the field $2 - not printed because s[i] is already the whole line.
For demonstration, here is a variant that consumes less memory but does not print field $3:
Code:
awk '{s[$2]=$1; c[$2]++} END {for (i in s) print s[i],i,c[i]}' *.tab

Last edited by MadeInGermany; 06-18-2013 at 06:53 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

find common elements in 2 files (for loop)

Hi, i'm new here (and to scripting too). I was hoping for some help in comparing two files. i have a file called 'file1' with a list of names in the following format: adam jones paul higgins kelly lowe i also have another file which may contain some of the names but with a lot of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibking
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging two files with a common column

Hi, I have two files file1 and file2. I have to merge the columns of those two files into file3 based on common column of two files. To be simple. file1: Row-id name1 13456 Rahul 16789 Vishal 18901 Karan file2 : Row-id place 18901 Mumbai ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manneni prakash
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merging Tables by a column

Dear Friends, I really do not know Linux and I really would like to understand it because it does help to work with large data. I am reading this forum for 1 week to try a solution for my problem. I think that, using others post informations, I was almost there... I have 2 big tables... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lColli
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging 2 files based on a common column

Hi All, I do have 2 files file 1 has 4 tab delimited columns 234 a c dfgyu 294 b g fih 302 c h jzh 328 z c san 597 f g son File 2 has 2 tab delimted columns 234 23 302 24 597 24 I want to merge file 2 with file 1 based on the data common in both files which is the first column so... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating array with non-duplicate / unique elements in ksh

Hi all, I have created 3 arrays which can have common elements in each like- arr_a contains str1 str2 str3 str4 str5 arr_b contains str3 str6 str7 str1 str8 arr_c contains str4 str9 str10 str2 each array is created with "set -A arr_name values" command. I want to create a resultant array-say... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanzee007
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging files with common IDs without JOIN

Hi, I am trying to merge information across 2 files. The first file is a "master" file, with all IDS. File 2 contains a subset of IDs of those in File 1. I would like to match up individuals in File 1 and File 2, and add information in File 2 to that of File 1 if they appear. However, if an... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hubleo
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging two files without any common pattern

Hi I have file1 as IJU_NSOMOW; SOWWOD_TWUIQ; and file2 as how are you?; fine there; Now my problem is i need the output file as IJU_NSOMOW; how are you?; SOWWOD_TWUIQ; fine there; (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count common elements in a column

HI, I have a 3-column tab separated column (approx 1GB) in which I would like to count and output the frequency of all of the common elements in the 1st column. For instance: If my input was the following: dot is-big 2 dot is-round 3 dot is-gray 4 cat is-big 3 hot in-summer 5 My... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging two tables including multiple ocurrence of column identifiers and unique lines

I would like to merge two tables based on column 1: File 1: 1 today 1 green 2 tomorrow 3 red File 2: 1 a lot 1 sometimes 2 at work 2 at home 2 sometimes 3 new 4 a lot 5 sometimes 6 at work (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BSP
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get unique elements from Array

I have an array code and output is below: echo $1 while read -r fline; do echo "%%%%%%$fline%%%%%" fmy_array+=("$fline") done <<< "$1" Output: CR30903 YU0007 SRIL CR30903 Yogesh SRIL %%%%%%CR30903 YU0007 SRIL%%%%% %%%%%%CR30903 Yogesh SRIL%%%%% ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
8 Replies
AWK(1)							      General Commands Manual							    AWK(1)

NAME
awk - pattern scanning and processing language SYNOPSIS
awk [ -Fc ] [ prog ] [ file ] ... DESCRIPTION
Awk scans each input file for lines that match any of a set of patterns specified in prog. With each pattern in prog there can be an asso- ciated action that will be performed when a line of a file matches the pattern. The set of patterns may appear literally as prog, or in a file specified as -f file. Files are read in order; if there are no files, the standard input is read. The file name `-' means the standard input. Each line is matched against the pattern portion of every pattern-action statement; the associated action is performed for each matched pattern. An input line is made up of fields separated by white space. (This default can be changed by using FS, vide infra.) The fields are denoted $1, $2, ... ; $0 refers to the entire line. A pattern-action statement has the form pattern { action } A missing { action } means print the line; a missing pattern always matches. An action is a sequence of statements. A statement can be one of the following: if ( conditional ) statement [ else statement ] while ( conditional ) statement for ( expression ; conditional ; expression ) statement break continue { [ statement ] ... } variable = expression print [ expression-list ] [ >expression ] printf format [ , expression-list ] [ >expression ] next # skip remaining patterns on this input line exit # skip the rest of the input Statements are terminated by semicolons, newlines or right braces. An empty expression-list stands for the whole line. Expressions take on string or numeric values as appropriate, and are built using the operators +, -, *, /, %, and concatenation (indicated by a blank). The C operators ++, --, +=, -=, *=, /=, and %= are also available in expressions. Variables may be scalars, array elements (denoted x[i]) or fields. Variables are initialized to the null string. Array subscripts may be any string, not necessarily numeric; this allows for a form of associative memory. String constants are quoted "...". The print statement prints its arguments on the standard output (or on a file if >file is present), separated by the current output field separator, and terminated by the output record separator. The printf statement formats its expression list according to the format (see printf(3)). The built-in function length returns the length of its argument taken as a string, or of the whole line if no argument. There are also built-in functions exp, log, sqrt, and int. The last truncates its argument to an integer. substr(s, m, n) returns the n-character sub- string of s that begins at position m. The function sprintf(fmt, expr, expr, ...) formats the expressions according to the printf(3) for- mat given by fmt and returns the resulting string. Patterns are arbitrary Boolean combinations (!, ||, &&, and parentheses) of regular expressions and relational expressions. Regular expressions must be surrounded by slashes and are as in egrep. Isolated regular expressions in a pattern apply to the entire line. Regu- lar expressions may also occur in relational expressions. A pattern may consist of two patterns separated by a comma; in this case, the action is performed for all lines between an occurrence of the first pattern and the next occurrence of the second. A relational expression is one of the following: expression matchop regular-expression expression relop expression where a relop is any of the six relational operators in C, and a matchop is either ~ (for contains) or !~ (for does not contain). A condi- tional is an arithmetic expression, a relational expression, or a Boolean combination of these. The special patterns BEGIN and END may be used to capture control before the first input line is read and after the last. BEGIN must be the first pattern, END the last. A single character c may be used to separate the fields by starting the program with BEGIN { FS = "c" } or by using the -Fc option. Other variable names with special meanings include NF, the number of fields in the current record; NR, the ordinal number of the current record; FILENAME, the name of the current input file; OFS, the output field separator (default blank); ORS, the output record separator (default newline); and OFMT, the output format for numbers (default "%.6g"). EXAMPLES
Print lines longer than 72 characters: length > 72 Print first two fields in opposite order: { print $2, $1 } Add up first column, print sum and average: { s += $1 } END { print "sum is", s, " average is", s/NR } Print fields in reverse order: { for (i = NF; i > 0; --i) print $i } Print all lines between start/stop pairs: /start/, /stop/ Print all lines whose first field is different from previous one: $1 != prev { print; prev = $1 } SEE ALSO
lex(1), sed(1) A. V. Aho, B. W. Kernighan, P. J. Weinberger, Awk - a pattern scanning and processing language BUGS
There are no explicit conversions between numbers and strings. To force an expression to be treated as a number add 0 to it; to force it to be treated as a string concatenate "" to it. AWK(1)