Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Solved] How to extract integer out of a string? Post 302822545 by bakunin on Tuesday 18th of June 2013 12:08:50 AM
Old 06-18-2013
First off: you shouldn't use backticks any more, they are deprecated in every modern shell. But that just as an aside, it shouldn't cause your problem.

The last "number" might be no number at all, as there might be trailing blanks or something such in it. To the shell "everything is a string" and even numbers are strings containing only digits. Your variable expansion statements manipulate strings (by cutting off certain parts), it is just your implicit knowledge of the values involved to justify using these as numbers at all.

I suggest to make sure the variables are indeed what you expect them to be (numbers) by adding some debugging code to your script and output them quoted strictly and surrounded by delimiters to make leading/trailing characters show:

Code:
echo "var_in_question is \"${var_in_question}\"" > some_log

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Integer to String

Which function should I use to convert an Integer to a String or Char format ? Thanx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: psilva
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

conersting string to integer

Hi i am writing a shell script; I need to convert a string to integer so that i can use it in the 'awk' command to choose a field. can you please help me. thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abb058
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing string and integer in IF

hi, I need to create an IF condition. I read a line from a file and get the 5 word using space as a delimited. This word can have only two values either '*' or '1-5' I need to write an IF condition for two cases. I can either compare it to * or 1-5(or even 1 by cutting and getting only the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushys
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

integer to string

Hi all, is there an easy way to convert integer to string in bash? I have numbers like 1, 2, ..., 112, ... and I would like to get 001 002 003 004 ... Thank you, Sarah (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
4 Replies

5. Programming

[Solved] how to send an integer via message queue?

how can i send an integer via message queue? i try this, but it doesn't work, child process receive 13345943 instead of 5 #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/msg.h> #include <sys/ipc.h> #include <sys/sem.h> #include <errno.h> #include <unistd.h>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tafazzi87
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to compare string integer with an integer?

hi, how to I do this? i="4.000" if ; then echo "smaller" fi how do I convert the "4.000" to 4? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] need to convert decimal to integer

Using below command awk 'NR==FNR{A=$1;next} {sum+=($2*A)}END{OFMT="%20f";print int(sum)}' Market.txt Product.txt answer:351770174.00000 how to convert this to 351770174. when i try with below command i am getting different result. awk 'NR==FNR{A=$1;next}... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: katakamvivek
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] String integer comparison

I am trying to execute something like this file=/tmp/test.txt firstline=$(head -n 1 $file) value=`echo $firstline | cut -d'=' -f2` if then echo true fi i read the first line of a file, cut to the numeric value in the first line and check if it greater than 2 but for some... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhan_dc
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

String to integer

I am on HP-UX using ksh in the script. MaxSal=`sqlplus -silent /nolog <<EOF connect / as sysdba whenever sqlerror exit sql.sqlcode set pagesize 0 feedback off verify off heading off echo off select max(sal) from emp1; select max(sal) from emp2; select max(sal) from emp3; exit; EOF`... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bang_dba
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting string to integer

I have a function that is supposed to check for user processes and wait for 0 count before exiting the function. I am sure I have more than one issue in my code, but the stumbling block right now is that I am trying to convert the value of my variable from a string to integer. process_count... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: MIA651
10 Replies
typeset(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        typeset(1)

NAME
typeset, whence - shell built-in functions to set/get attributes and values for shell variables and functions SYNOPSIS
typeset [ +- HLRZfilrtux [n]] [ name [ = value]]... whence [-pv] name... DESCRIPTION
typeset sets attributes and values for shell variables and functions. When typeset is invoked inside a function, a new instance of the variables name is created. The variables value and type are restored when the function completes. The following list of attributes may be specified: -H This flag provides UNIX to host-name file mapping on non-UNIX machines. -L Left justify and remove leading blanks from value. If n is non-zero it defines the width of the field; otherwise, it is determined by the width of the value of first assignment. When the variable is assigned to, it is filled on the right with blanks or trun- cated, if necessary, to fit into the field. Leading zeros are removed if the -Z flag is also set. The -R flag is turned off. -R Right justify and fill with leading blanks. If n is non-zero it defines the width of the field, otherwise it is determined by the width of the value of first assignment. The field is left filled with blanks or truncated from the end if the variable is reas- signed. The -L flag is turned off. -Z Right justify and fill with leading zeros if the first non-blank character is a digit and the -L flag has not been set. If n is non-zero it defines the width of the field; otherwise, it is determined by the width of the value of first assignment. -f The names refer to function names rather than variable names. No assignments can be made and the only other valid flags are -t, -u and -x. The flag -t turns on execution tracing for this function. The flag -u causes this function to be marked undefined. The FPATH variable will be searched to find the function definition when the function is referenced. The flag -x allows the func- tion definition to remain in effect across shell procedures invoked by name. -i Parameter is an integer. This makes arithmetic faster. If n is non-zero it defines the output arithmetic base; otherwise, the first assignment determines the output base. -l All upper-case characters are converted to lower-case. The upper-case flag, -u is turned off. -r The given names are marked readonly and these names cannot be changed by subsequent assignment. -t Tags the variables. Tags are user definable and have no special meaning to the shell. -u All lower-case characters are converted to upper-case characters. The lower-case flag, -l is turned off. -x The given names are marked for automatic export to the environment of subsequently-executed commands. The -i attribute can not be specified along with -R, -L, -Z, or -f. Using + rather than - causes these flags to be turned off. If no name arguments are given but flags are specified, a list of names (and optionally the values) of the variables which have these flags set is printed. (Using + rather than - keeps the values from being printed.) If no names and flags are given, the names and attributes of all variables are printed. For each name, whence indicates how it would be interpreted if used as a command name. The -v flag produces a more verbose report. The -p flag does a path search for name even if name is an alias, a function, or a reserved word. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), set(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 typeset(1)