Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script function which checks if itself is already running Post 302822053 by landossa on Sunday 16th of June 2013 08:08:32 PM
Old 06-16-2013
Ah, thanks..
The trap function was going to be my next question.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script that checks for previous instances running

Hello, I'm trying to write a script that checks for previous instances of the same script which may still be running (this script is scheduled to run every 30 minutes). I want to somehow use the pid from each instance to make sure the previous one isn't running before continuing with my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bd_joy
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to make a script that checks connection protocol

Hello all, I currently connect to several servers multiple times a day. Most of the time I connect via SSH through the terminal emulator poderosa (my personal favorite), but sometimes I connect via telnet through xstart because I need it to export a GUI. What I want to do is add something to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running function or command concurrently in a bash script

I currently run a script over a vpnc tunnel to back-up my data to a remote server. However for a number of reasons the tunnel often collapses. If I manually restore the tunnel then the whole thing can continue, but I want to add into my script a section whereby while the transfer is taking place,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dj_bridges
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script stops running the remaining checks after becoming admin

Hi all, I encountered a problem where my script stops running the remaining checks after becoming an admin that is written within the script. For example: ========================================= #!/bin/sh check 1 # Runs successfully check 2 # Runs successfully /com/bin/admin #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: seanchew
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a function on a remote server via SSH in a script

I'm working on a script (mostly for practice) to simplify a task I have to do every now and then. I have a cluster with 6 servers on it, each server has a directory with a set of files called *.pid and *.mpid. Each file contains the pid of a process that may or may not be running on that server.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Bash] MD5 Checks with Script.

Hi. I'm triyng to make a Bash Script that checks (recursively) the MD5 from all the files in a certain directory and compare them against some other check that should be already done and saved in a file. I've reached to the point where i have the MD5 from the file and the MD5 that the script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BiFo
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function not running in script.

I an using the below functions in my script. --------- checkRT() { subHeader "Runtime Check" for nn in `cat $HOST_FILE|egrep -i 'msdp|ca|backup|db'|grep -v '#'|sed '/^$/d'|awk '{ print $1":"$2":"$3}'` do fhba=`expr $nn|cut -d: -f2` fhba2=`expr $nn|cut -d: -f3` subSubHeader $fhba2 ssh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nandan8a
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to performs checks

Hi , I need a script which performs below activity I have one file named "testfile" in 9 different directories with same name. I want to perform below action with each testfile of each directory. if ; then mv listfiles listfiles_`date +%b%y` else echo No Such files fi ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sv0081493
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to do the following checks

Hi , I need a script for processing below scenario. I have to check daily by doing ftp IP to check it is logging or not. So i want this activity to be automated such that if login succesful i will get "FTP LOGIN SUCCESS" in a log file and if fails i want the error message in the same log... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sv0081493
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with delaying script and implementing checks before completion

Hello everyone, I was wondering if any of you could help me with this. I am an absolute beginner and don't know how to program, but I can follow a tutorial and tweak code sometimes. My understanding of programing is limitted to what for and while loops do, and how if then else logic works. That... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomeurp
2 Replies
trap(1) 							   User Commands							   trap(1)

NAME
trap, onintr - shell built-in functions to respond to (hardware) signals SYNOPSIS
sh trap [ argument n [n2...]] csh onintr [-| label] ksh *trap [ arg sig [ sig2...]] DESCRIPTION
sh The trap command argument is to be read and executed when the shell receives numeric or symbolic signal(s) (n). (Note: argument is scanned once when the trap is set and once when the trap is taken.) Trap commands are executed in order of signal number or corresponding symbolic names. Any attempt to set a trap on a signal that was ignored on entry to the current shell is ineffective. An attempt to trap on signal 11 (memory fault) produces an error. If argument is absent all trap(s) n are reset to their original values. If argument is the null string this signal is ignored by the shell and by the commands it invokes. If n is 0 the command argument is executed on exit from the shell. The trap command with no arguments prints a list of commands associated with each signal number. csh onintr controls the action of the shell on interrupts. With no arguments, onintr restores the default action of the shell on interrupts. (The shell terminates shell scripts and returns to the terminal command input level). With the - argument, the shell ignores all inter- rupts. With a label argument, the shell executes a goto label when an interrupt is received or a child process terminates because it was interrupted. ksh trap uses arg as a command to be read and executed when the shell receives signal(s) sig. (Note that arg is scanned once when the trap is set and once when the trap is taken.) Each sig can be given as a number or as the name of the signal. trap commands are executed in order of signal number. Any attempt to set a trap on a signal that was ignored on entry to the current shell is ineffective. If arg is omitted or is -, then the trap(s) for each sig are reset to their original values. If arg is the null (the empty string, e.g., "" ) string then this signal is ignored by the shell and by the commands it invokes. If sig is ERR then arg will be executed whenever a command has a non- zero exit status. If sig is DEBUG then arg will be executed after each command. If sig is 0 or EXIT for a trap set outside any function then the command arg is executed on exit from the shell. The trap command with no arguments prints a list of commands associated with each signal number. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 23 Oct 1994 trap(1)