Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Gunzip and tar command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Gunzip and tar command Post 302822051 by alister on Sunday 16th of June 2013 07:04:07 PM
Old 06-16-2013
Not sharing the exact commands that you are running is an inefficient method of soliciting technical assistance.

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Combination of gunzip and tar on Solaris

Hello I'm trying to use a combination of gunzip and tar to unpack and unzip a *.tar.gz file. I tried gunzip ~/myfile.tar.gz | gtar -x This will unzip the file, but it won't unpack. Any hints? thanks a lot Dan (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwidmer
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tar and gunzip piping

I am using IRIX 6.5.11 and tcsh. I have created an arcihive by using the command "tar -cvf - /stuff/ /more/stuff|gzip --best>/stuff.tar.gz" It made an archive of my files without taking up huge amounts of disk space with uncompressed files. How do I extract files from the archive without... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madyodacolon
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retaining tar.gz after gunzip

gunzip fnam.tar.gz After this command execution... .gz file no longer exists... and only fnam.tar is present. Is it possible to retain the tar.gz file after after using the above command thx in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: devs
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Elegant gunzip of tar Contents

I am faced with a situation where I have directories of gunzipped contents bundled into a tar file. It might look something like this. x coop/batch/bin/ha90x20.gz, 632641 bytes, 1236 tape blocks x coop/batch/icm/HA90X20.icm.gz, 1821 bytes, 4 tape blocks x coop/batch/aeenv.gz, 4117 bytes, 9 tape... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command dont tar to original directory

HI, if I have a tarfile called pmapdata.tar that contains tar -tvf pmapdata.tar -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 15 11:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap4628.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 14 20:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap23752.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 1625 Oct 13 20:00 2009... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command for gunzip?

Hi All This is very basic query but I have a huge folder named backup that I need to transfer. What is the command to convert the file in format backup.tar.gz so that I could transfer the folder. Is the command gzip filename? Thanks Sonia. :wall: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonia102
6 Replies

9. AIX

Gunzip tar A directory checksum error on media

Hi, what is the directory checksum error ? # sed 's/^M$//' test4_bkp_19Jan13.tgz | tar -tvf - tar: 0511-169 A directory checksum error on media; -265745505 not equal to 76225. # mv test4_bkp_19Jan13.tgz test4.gz # gunzip < /ebs2/test4.gz | tar -xvf - tar: 0511-169 A directory checksum... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 command line gunzip -c get 3 output.

Hi everyone----I have big file like 15G to 20G and took really long time to get the output, cause run 3 steps gunzip -c below to get the ouput. Is there is the way can run 1 command line gunzip -c then get all 3 output (Unzipped Bytes, Records, Record, Length) same time? Please any input for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dotran
5 Replies
recserv(1M)															       recserv(1M)

NAME
recserv - HP SharedX Receiver Service SYNOPSIS
/usr/lbin/recserv DESCRIPTION
HP SharedX Receiver Service provides a method for a receiver to allow the sharing of windows without explicitly performing any xhost com- mands. The Internet daemon (inetd(1M)) executes recserv when it receives a service request at the port listed in the services data base for recserv (see inetd(1m) and services(4)). When recserv is executed via inetd, a dialog box appears informing the receiver of the share request by the sender. The receiver can allow or disallow the share request by selecting the YES or NO button. recserv allows sharing by xhosting the sender just long enough for it to make a connection to the receiver. Once the connection is estab- lished recserv removes the sender from the access control list, unless the sender was entered in the list prior to the execution of rec- serv. Since no permanent change is made to the access control list, security is maintained at its highest level. To start recserv from the Internet daemon, the configuration file /etc/inetd.conf must include the single line entry, recserv stream tcp nowait bin /usr/lbin/recserv recserv -display :0 If the sharing is going to be done between IPv6 machines, the protocol field of the above entry in /etc/inetd.conf file of the receiver machine should be changed to tcp6 as follows recserv stream tcp6 nowait bin /usr/lbin/recserv recserv -display :0 and the services file /etc/services must include the line, recserv 7815/tcp # SharedX Receiver Service Receiver Service options, set by selecting the Options button, dictate the behavior of recserv. The behavior can also be set by running recserv manually. In either case, an X server resource is set dictating the behavior for subsequent invocations of recserv. OPTIONS
The following options allow different behavior according to user preferences. AlwaysAsk The dialog will pop up each time sharing is requested, regardless of the security on your X server. AlwaysAllow The dialog box never appears, but sharing will always be allowed. AskUnhosted The dialog will pop up only if the sender's machine is not hosted on your machine. If the sender's machine is already hosted, sharing will occur without a dialog appearing. NeverAsk The dialog will never appear. Windows are shared only if the sender's machine is already hosted by your server. To set resources (system behavior, label strings, etc) globally for a system, edit the file /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/RecServ. AUTHOR
HP SharedX Receiver Service was developed by Hewlett Packard. SEE ALSO
SharedX(1), inetd(1M), xhost(1), hosts(4), inetd.conf(4), inetd.sec(4), services(4). recserv(1M)