Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script function which checks if itself is already running Post 302821917 by bartus11 on Sunday 16th of June 2013 04:40:55 AM
Old 06-16-2013
Create "lock file" when starting the script and remove it after script is done, for example:
Code:
if [ -f /var/tmp/script.lock ]; then
  echo "Already running. Exiting."
  exit 1
else
  touch /var/tmp/script.lock
fi

<main script code>

rm /var/tmp/script.lock

This User Gave Thanks to bartus11 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script that checks for previous instances running

Hello, I'm trying to write a script that checks for previous instances of the same script which may still be running (this script is scheduled to run every 30 minutes). I want to somehow use the pid from each instance to make sure the previous one isn't running before continuing with my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bd_joy
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to make a script that checks connection protocol

Hello all, I currently connect to several servers multiple times a day. Most of the time I connect via SSH through the terminal emulator poderosa (my personal favorite), but sometimes I connect via telnet through xstart because I need it to export a GUI. What I want to do is add something to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running function or command concurrently in a bash script

I currently run a script over a vpnc tunnel to back-up my data to a remote server. However for a number of reasons the tunnel often collapses. If I manually restore the tunnel then the whole thing can continue, but I want to add into my script a section whereby while the transfer is taking place,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dj_bridges
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script stops running the remaining checks after becoming admin

Hi all, I encountered a problem where my script stops running the remaining checks after becoming an admin that is written within the script. For example: ========================================= #!/bin/sh check 1 # Runs successfully check 2 # Runs successfully /com/bin/admin #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: seanchew
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a function on a remote server via SSH in a script

I'm working on a script (mostly for practice) to simplify a task I have to do every now and then. I have a cluster with 6 servers on it, each server has a directory with a set of files called *.pid and *.mpid. Each file contains the pid of a process that may or may not be running on that server.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Bash] MD5 Checks with Script.

Hi. I'm triyng to make a Bash Script that checks (recursively) the MD5 from all the files in a certain directory and compare them against some other check that should be already done and saved in a file. I've reached to the point where i have the MD5 from the file and the MD5 that the script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BiFo
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function not running in script.

I an using the below functions in my script. --------- checkRT() { subHeader "Runtime Check" for nn in `cat $HOST_FILE|egrep -i 'msdp|ca|backup|db'|grep -v '#'|sed '/^$/d'|awk '{ print $1":"$2":"$3}'` do fhba=`expr $nn|cut -d: -f2` fhba2=`expr $nn|cut -d: -f3` subSubHeader $fhba2 ssh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nandan8a
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to performs checks

Hi , I need a script which performs below activity I have one file named "testfile" in 9 different directories with same name. I want to perform below action with each testfile of each directory. if ; then mv listfiles listfiles_`date +%b%y` else echo No Such files fi ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sv0081493
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to do the following checks

Hi , I need a script for processing below scenario. I have to check daily by doing ftp IP to check it is logging or not. So i want this activity to be automated such that if login succesful i will get "FTP LOGIN SUCCESS" in a log file and if fails i want the error message in the same log... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sv0081493
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with delaying script and implementing checks before completion

Hello everyone, I was wondering if any of you could help me with this. I am an absolute beginner and don't know how to program, but I can follow a tutorial and tweak code sometimes. My understanding of programing is limitted to what for and while loops do, and how if then else logic works. That... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomeurp
2 Replies
platform::shell(n)					       Tcl Bundled Packages						platform::shell(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(n)