Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Separate letters and replace whitespaces Post 302821909 by MadeInGermany on Sunday 16th of June 2013 04:22:13 AM
Old 06-16-2013
Code:
sed 's/./& /g; s/[[:blank:]]\{2,\}/ <s> /g'

Without an extra space at the end:
Code:
sed 's/./& /g; s/[[:blank:]]\{2,\}/ <s> /g; s/ $//'

Last edited by MadeInGermany; 06-16-2013 at 08:31 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trimming whitespaces in a file

Hello, Im trying write a bash sript to search a file and identify any file names that contain a space at the end of them. I was trying to use the grep command but I can find how I would identify the character I'm looking for. Any help would be grately appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gintreach
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace nulls with whitespaces in a file

Hi, i have a file which contains data in fixed length. each row contains data of 10 characters fixed length. The data in the file appears like 4567782882 some times i may recieve dat less than fixed length of 10. in such a case i find nulls appended at the trailing spaces when i do a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meeragiri
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a line with a separate line in code

I have a bunch of files that are like this: <htmlstuffs>HTML STUFFS</endhtmlstuffs> <h1>Header</h1> <htmlstuffs>HTML STUFFS</endhtmlstuffs> <h1>Unique</h1> <html stuffs>HTML STUFFS</endhtmlstuffs> And Here's what I'd like it to look like: <htmlstuffs>HTML STUFFS</endhtmlstuffs>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kason
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

if $variable has whitespaces?

Hi, Here's my requirement... There's a SFTP script with batchmode which logs in to the remote site and list all .done files to pick real files (see the following snippet) echo "-ls $FTP_PATH/*.done" > temp_file fileNames=`sftp -b temp_file $user@$ip` isDoneFile=`echo $fileNames |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substring in string with whitespaces

hello, i have this string: variable="1234 /PARAMETER_1:text /PARAMETER_2:othertext" i tried to do expr match $variable '.*\(*\)' but i keep getting expr error i need to extract the word text... thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aloush89
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace lower case letters with N

Hi, I have a string of letters that are upper and lower case. I would like to replace all the lowercase letters with N. Also, there are only 4 letters, so it may be easier to replace each lower case letter with N. Either way, I do not know know to do this. Example line ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikey11415
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Selective Replacements: Using sed or awk to replace letters with numbers in a very specific way

Hello all. I am a beginner UNIX user who is using UNIX to work on a bioinformatics project for my university. I have a bit of a complicated issue in trying to use sed (or awk) to "find and replace" bases (letters) in a genetics data spreadsheet (converted to a text file, can be either... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mince
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace trailing whitespaces with pipe symbol using perl

I want to replace the whitespace with Pipe symbol to do a multiple pattern matching for the whole text "mysqld failed start" and same as for other text messages Below are the messages stored in a file seperate by whitespace mysqld failed start nfsd mount failed rpcbind failed to start for... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kar_333
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retaining whitespaces...

There's an input file(input.txt) which has the following details : CBA BA <Please note the second record has a LEADING WHITESPACE which is VALID> I am using the following code to read the content of the said file line by line: while read p ; do echo "$p" done < input.txt This is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find & Replace with same case letters

I have text with upper and lower case words. I want to find something and replace it with something new. But it should match the case - Meaning - it should replace old upper cased word with NEW upper case word and lower with lower. example: this text is very simple TEXT. now I want to replace... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: grep_me
5 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. Please notice this option isn't related to the terminal length as in a "80 culums terminal". --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do right to left (RTL) layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter and A4. Default is A4. Postscript points Each postscript point equals to 1/72 of an inch. 36 points are 1/2 of an inch. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --gutter-width=gw Set gutter width. Default is 40 postscript points. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)