Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Solved] Editing the alphabet's based on position information Post 302821665 by RudiC on Saturday 15th of June 2013 04:57:13 AM
Old 06-15-2013
Your sample output file does by no means fit the edits defined in file 2 applied to file1, e.g. line 2 pos 10 should have become a C; and where does line 2 pos 29 A come from?
Please post representative samples, and your solution attempts so far.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

[Solved] processor type and bit information

Hi, I'm trying to download a compatible Oracle Client software for a HP-UX machine. I'd like to know if ... 1) HP-UX is 32 bit or 64 bit? 2) Processor type - Itanium or regular? when I execute uname -a I get HP-UX B.11.11 U 9000/800 728684161 unlimited-user license Based on the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selective position file editing inside folder

I need to process 4 files having name pattern as followis:- 1) Each file starts with = ABCJmdmfbsjop letters + 7 Digit Number _mm-dd-yyyy-hh-mm-ss-3 Digit Number.data where ABCJmdmfbsjop :- is alphabet. Each file starts with this ABCJmdmfbsjop alphabet. 7 Digit Number :- Numeric 7 digits. __:-... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lancesunny
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Find position of character with awk

Hi Guys! Could anyone help me with?.. I have a line which says BCVGF%6$#900 .....How can we know which position is for % or say $ by command or script?There is any way to get a prompt by any script? Thanks a lot (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Array for parameters from 5th position

Hi All, I am writing a script where the first 5 parameters are mandatory but the script should be able to handle a maximum of 9 parameters (with the remainig 4 optional) I would like to load all parameters from 5th parameter positioninto an array. the piece of code I am writing for this:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: snailrider
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Need help in editing a script

Hi, I have one script in my cronjob, which is fetching file from a ftp site and making a copy with today's date and time. This is a new setup. There was a instance when test_bill.txt was not present on ftp.xxxx_xxxx.com and when this job ran and did not fetched file, still it send mail of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How can I pull specific information from PS?

I need to grab information from the output of the ps command. For each line of ps output that contains _progres -b I need to get the word that follows -p. The "-p" can be anywhere after "_progres -b". Using grep to select the correct lines is no problem (e.g. ps -ef|grep "_progres \-b|grep -v... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Papa Lee
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Extracting information from DDL's

Dear Experts, I need your help here. I have lot of teradata DDL's as follows, i want to extract field names , field attributes and NOT NULL information from DDL.Could you please help here. Sample DDL: CREATE MULTISET TABLE APS_CALL_IN_PICKUP_CANCELED ,NO FALLBACK , NO BEFORE... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth38
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a string at a particular position and replace with blank based on position

Hi, I have a file with multiple lines(fixed width dat file). I want to search for '02' in the positions 45-46 and if available, in that lines, I need to replace value in position 359 with blank. As I am new to unix, I am not able to figure out how to do this. Can you please help me to achieve... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
9 Replies
explain_fsetpos_or_die(3)				     Library Functions Manual					 explain_fsetpos_or_die(3)

NAME
explain_fsetpos_or_die - reposition a stream and report errors SYNOPSIS
#include <libexplain/fsetpos.h> void explain_fsetpos_or_die(FILE *fp, fpos_t *pos); int explain_fsetpos_on_error(FILE *fp, fpos_t *pos); DESCRIPTION
The explain_fsetpos_or_die function is used to call the fsetpos(3) system call. On failure an explanation will be printed to stderr, obtained from the explain_fsetpos(3) function, and then the process terminates by calling exit(EXIT_FAILURE). The explain_fsetpos_on_error function is used to call the fsetpos(3) system call. On failure an explanation will be printed to stderr, obtained from the explain_fsetpos(3) function, but still returns to the caller. fp The fp, exactly as to be passed to the fsetpos(3) system call. pos The pos, exactly as to be passed to the fsetpos(3) system call. RETURN VALUE
The explain_fsetpos_or_die function only returns on success, see fsetpos(3) for more information. On failure, prints an explanation and exits, it does not return. The explain_fsetpos_on_error function always returns the value return by the wrapped fsetpos(3) system call. EXAMPLE
The explain_fsetpos_or_die function is intended to be used in a fashion similar to the following example: explain_fsetpos_or_die(fp, pos); SEE ALSO
fsetpos(3) reposition a stream explain_fsetpos(3) explain fsetpos(3) errors exit(2) terminate the calling process COPYRIGHT
libexplain version 0.52 Copyright (C) 2010 Peter Miller explain_fsetpos_or_die(3)