Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Solved] Editing the alphabet's based on position information Post 302821619 by Scott on Friday 14th of June 2013 08:04:06 PM
Old 06-14-2013
What have you tried?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

[Solved] processor type and bit information

Hi, I'm trying to download a compatible Oracle Client software for a HP-UX machine. I'd like to know if ... 1) HP-UX is 32 bit or 64 bit? 2) Processor type - Itanium or regular? when I execute uname -a I get HP-UX B.11.11 U 9000/800 728684161 unlimited-user license Based on the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selective position file editing inside folder

I need to process 4 files having name pattern as followis:- 1) Each file starts with = ABCJmdmfbsjop letters + 7 Digit Number _mm-dd-yyyy-hh-mm-ss-3 Digit Number.data where ABCJmdmfbsjop :- is alphabet. Each file starts with this ABCJmdmfbsjop alphabet. 7 Digit Number :- Numeric 7 digits. __:-... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lancesunny
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Find position of character with awk

Hi Guys! Could anyone help me with?.. I have a line which says BCVGF%6$#900 .....How can we know which position is for % or say $ by command or script?There is any way to get a prompt by any script? Thanks a lot (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Array for parameters from 5th position

Hi All, I am writing a script where the first 5 parameters are mandatory but the script should be able to handle a maximum of 9 parameters (with the remainig 4 optional) I would like to load all parameters from 5th parameter positioninto an array. the piece of code I am writing for this:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: snailrider
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Need help in editing a script

Hi, I have one script in my cronjob, which is fetching file from a ftp site and making a copy with today's date and time. This is a new setup. There was a instance when test_bill.txt was not present on ftp.xxxx_xxxx.com and when this job ran and did not fetched file, still it send mail of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How can I pull specific information from PS?

I need to grab information from the output of the ps command. For each line of ps output that contains _progres -b I need to get the word that follows -p. The "-p" can be anywhere after "_progres -b". Using grep to select the correct lines is no problem (e.g. ps -ef|grep "_progres \-b|grep -v... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Papa Lee
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Extracting information from DDL's

Dear Experts, I need your help here. I have lot of teradata DDL's as follows, i want to extract field names , field attributes and NOT NULL information from DDL.Could you please help here. Sample DDL: CREATE MULTISET TABLE APS_CALL_IN_PICKUP_CANCELED ,NO FALLBACK , NO BEFORE... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth38
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a string at a particular position and replace with blank based on position

Hi, I have a file with multiple lines(fixed width dat file). I want to search for '02' in the positions 45-46 and if available, in that lines, I need to replace value in position 359 with blank. As I am new to unix, I am not able to figure out how to do this. Can you please help me to achieve... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
9 Replies
UNIQ(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   UNIQ(1)

NAME
uniq -- report or filter out repeated lines in a file SYNOPSIS
uniq [-c | -d | -u] [-i] [-f num] [-s chars] [input_file [output_file]] DESCRIPTION
The uniq utility reads the specified input_file comparing adjacent lines, and writes a copy of each unique input line to the output_file. If input_file is a single dash ('-') or absent, the standard input is read. If output_file is absent, standard output is used for output. The second and succeeding copies of identical adjacent input lines are not written. Repeated lines in the input will not be detected if they are not adjacent, so it may be necessary to sort the files first. The following options are available: -c Precede each output line with the count of the number of times the line occurred in the input, followed by a single space. -d Only output lines that are repeated in the input. -f num Ignore the first num fields in each input line when doing comparisons. A field is a string of non-blank characters separated from adjacent fields by blanks. Field numbers are one based, i.e. the first field is field one. -s chars Ignore the first chars characters in each input line when doing comparisons. If specified in conjunction with the -f option, the first chars characters after the first num fields will be ignored. Character numbers are one based, i.e. the first character is character one. -u Only output lines that are not repeated in the input. -i Case insensitive comparison of lines. DIAGNOSTICS
The uniq utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
The historic +number and -number options have been deprecated but are still supported in this implementation. SEE ALSO
sort(1) STANDARDS
The uniq utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A uniq command appeared in Version 3 AT&T UNIX. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD