Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to get reason for ping failure using perls Net::Ping->new("icmp");? Post 302821059 by tavanagh on Friday 14th of June 2013 02:45:48 AM
Old 06-14-2013
I have tried same script using system ping for list of hosts I want to ping - for some of the hosts I am getting unknown hosts for others I am getting Host unreacheable. Do I need to do something like nslookup to check if host is in dns on the failed nodes - I was hoping I could do all with ping.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perls "Referance" question

ok im on chap19 (cgi programming) of learning perl 2nd edition. I am just not understanding how the referances to a class work. i understand the following example: @array1=qw( 1 2 3 4); $aref = \@array1; @array2=qw(5 6 7 8); $aref=\@array2; $# of $aref is now 1 print $aref; #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus_P
2 Replies

2. Solaris

limited ping "command" at solaris

Hi... Iam new members at this forum. and I have a little problem with "command ping" what the "command to ping at limited time", for example at linux $ping -c5 10.0.0.62 and the responed as below: 64 bytes from 10.0.0.62: icmp_seq=1 ttl=128 time=0.843 ms 64 bytes from 10.0.0.62: icmp_seq=2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srilinux
3 Replies

3. IP Networking

Ping ICMP

Hi All, How to disable ICMP time stamp request and time stamp reply of a machine? How to test this feature from remote machine? Please reply back Vasanth (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanthan
2 Replies

4. SuSE

VMDB Failure" followed by "Unable to open snapshot file"

keep getting an error when I try to revert to a snapshot: "VMDB Failure" followed by "Unable to open snapshot file" Im using vmware server 1.0.4, host OS is windows xp and guest OS is SLES. Is there anything I can do to recover the snapshot or am I in trouble!?!?! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_linux
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

"authentication failure" then "session opened". Why?

Ssh connections using shared public keys issue “authentication failure” messages, then succeed with “session opened”. I have found a few other threads with similar issue, but no solutions offered. :wall: How can I eliminate the failure messages? Environment: $ uname -a Linux... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: KennyCason
0 Replies

7. AIX

Ping Failure!!

Hi, Am trying to ping between AIX and FreeBSD7.4/i386 by IPv6 address.. It is unable, I configured all files like /etc/rc.conf at freebsd and /etc/hosts and etc/netsvc.conf and restarted the IPv6 network at AIX.. Please help me where I have missed the procedure.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl failure with "main::$fn" used only once:" in error logs

Hi all, Can anyone guess why this is happening? I am new to Perl, so please help me to fix this error: - I have a static html file which calls the cgi-perl script. HTML Code: <html> <head> <title> Hey Dude! </title> </head> <body> <form method="POST"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashily
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Failure: if grep "$Var" "$line" inside while read line loop

Hi everybody, I am new at Unix/Bourne shell scripting and with my youngest experiences, I will not become very old with it :o My code: #!/bin/sh set -e set -u export IFS= optl="Optl" LOCSTORCLI="/opt/lsi/storcli/storcli" ($LOCSTORCLI /c0 /vall show | grep RAID | cut -d " "... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subsonic66
5 Replies
ping(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   ping(8)

Name
       ping - send ICMP ECHO_REQUEST packets to network hosts

Syntax
       /etc/ping [ options ] host [ datasize [ npackets ]]

Description
       The  DARPA  Internet  is  a large and complex network of hardware connected together by gateways.  The command utilizes the ICMP protocol's
       mandatory ECHO_REQUEST datagram to elicit an ICMP ECHO_RESPONSE from a host or gateway.	ECHO_REQUEST datagrams (pings) have an IP and ICMP
       header,	followed  by  a  struct timeval, and then an arbitrary number of pad bytes used to fill out the packet.  The length of the default
       datagram 64 bytes, but this may be changed using the command-line option.

Typing ``ping host'' without any options will either report ``host is alive'' or ``no answer from host''.  To get more statistics  use  the
       -l option or one of the other options.

When  using  for  fault	isolation,  it should first be run on the local host to verify that the local network interface is up and running.
       Then, hosts and gateways further and further away should be pinged.  The command with options sends one datagram per second and prints  one
       line  of  output  for every ECHO_RESPONSE returned.  No output is produced if there is no response.  If an optional npackets is given, only
       that number of requests is sent.  Round-trip times and packet loss statistics are computed.  When all responses have been received  or  the
       program times out with npackets specified, or if the program is terminated with a SIGINT, a brief summary is displayed.

Options
       -d   Turns on SO_DEBUG flag on the socket.

-l   Gives more statistics than if is used without options.  Long output.

-r   Bypasses  the  normal  routing  tables and sends directly to a host on an attached network.  If the host is not on a directly-attached
	    network, an error is returned.  This option can be used to ping a local host through an interface that has no route through  it.   For
	    example, after the interface was dropped by

-v   Lists ICMP packets other than ECHO RESPONSE that are received. Verbose output.

Restrictions
       This  program is intended for use in network testing, measurement, and management.  It should be used primarily for manual fault isolation.
       Because of the load it could impose on the network, it is unwise to use during normal operations or from automated scripts.

See Also
       netstat(1), ifconfig(8c)

ping(8)