Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Incrementing the New File Version Number Post 302820843 by Don Cragun on Thursday 13th of June 2013 02:09:31 PM
Old 06-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGPickett
Fear of pipes can and should be overcome! But some tools like basename are silly, dated, when you can just ${full_path##*/} and save a fork() and exec().
I'm not sure if this comment was directed at my suggestion to eliminate the ls|head pipeline. For the record, I am not on a mission to get rid of pipelines. And, when speed isn't a critical issue in a shell script, I sometimes use a pipeline (even when avoiding it could produce faster code) if the pipeline is "easier to read and understand."

But, when globbing could yield a fork error due to ARG_MAX limits, and an ls -t | head -1 pipeline would sometimes yield the wrong file and result in the destruction of data, I much prefer a different solution that avoids both issues.

Note also that the basename and dirname utilities aren't quite as easy to replace as you're suggesting. The commands:
Code:
ddir=$(dirname "$1")
sdir=${1%/*}
bbase=$(basename "$1")
sbase=${1##*/}
printf "directory containing \"%s\" is \"%s\" or \"%s\"\n" "$1" "$ddir" "$sdir"
printf "last component of \"%s\" is \"%s\" or \"%s\"\n" "$1" "$bbase" "$sbase"

show that they produce identical results when this script is invoked with the name of my home directory:
Code:
directory containing "/Users/dwc" is "/Users" or "/Users"
last component of "/Users/dwc" is "dwc" or "dwc"

but, very different results if I invoke the same script with / as an operand:
Code:
directory containing "/" is "/" or ""
last component of "/" is "/" or ""

I can certainly modify the script above to check for the special case when the operand is root; but I will frequently use basename and dirname because I don't have to think about the special case (even though a fork and exec is involved). And, what is going on will be more obvious to naive readers of my code. If this is done once during the initialization of a long running script, I might not care about the small additional start up costs. However, if this were to be done every time in a tight loop processing thousands of files that might include "/", it would be a different issue.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Port incrementing using one file

Hi I wrote this script with the help of you guyz.My next challenge is to increment the port using single file.So far iam using this code to increment hp1 and hp2 .To increment port numbers, iam using two different files (.default_port_hp1 and .default_port_hp2).The challenge for me is to use... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolkid
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl + array and incrementing number

morning guys and gals, I am haveing a problem, a friend helped me out with this script but i dont know how to add incrementing number for each movie in movie.list. this is what i have so far. any assistance would be great. I have removed the GT and LT symbols so you can see what is going on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus_P
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Incrementing number in bash

I have the following code and getting the error ./raytrac.bash: line 231: ((: 0++: syntax error: operand expected (error token is "+") iarg = 0 iarg=0 narg=$# # Number of arguments passed. echo "narg = $narg" argsArr=("$@") # Set... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change numbers in a file, incrementing them

Hello, Here's a file of mine: key1:431 key2:159 key3:998 I need to change these keys to something bigger - and I actually need to shift them all by a range of 3. The output would be: key1:434 key2:162 key3:1001 I can't find the propper sed/awk line that would alter all my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fzd
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing string by incrementing number

Dear all Say I have a file as ! TICKET NBR : 234 !GSI : 102 ! 3100.2.112.1 11/06/2013 15:56:29 ! 3100.2.22.3 98 ! 3100.2.134.2 8 ! ! TICKET NBR : 1809 ! GSI : 102 ! 3100.2.112.1 11/06/2013 16:00:45 ! 3100.2.22.3 65 ! 3100.2.134.2 3 ! ! TICKET NBR : 587 ! GSI : 102 ! 3100.2.112.1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: OTNA
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Incrementing parts of ten digits number by parts

I have number in file which contains date and serial number: 2013101000. The last two digits are serial number (00). So maximum of serial number is 100. After reaching 100 it becomes 00 with incrementing 10 which is day with max 31. after reaching 31 it becomes 00 and increments 10... (31 Replies)
Discussion started by: Natalie
31 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Add an incrementing identity column to a file

Two questions: 1) Is there a way to create a new column (i.e. ID) to an existing file containing data and the new column ID populate as an auto incrementing number? for example: (Current file has headers and is PIPE delimited.) **data looks like this** "COL1"|"COL2"|"COL3"|"COL4"|"COL5"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: timlisa20
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Add an incrementing identity column to a file

Two questions: 1) Is there a way to create a new column (i.e. ID) to an existing file containing data and the new column ID populate as an auto incrementing number? for example: (Current file has headers and is PIPE delimited.) **data looks like this** "COL1"|"COL2"|"COL3"|"COL4"|"COL5"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: timlisa20
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Incrementing the New File Version Number

Hi, This is my first post here. I am using cygwin on Windows 7. I am starting with a data file with filename "name_1.ext", like "20180831_snapgenotypes_1.csv". The "_1" before ".ext" is a version number. Integers (0-99) are sufficient. They don't have to be like "1.0.0". The filename may... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: minimalist
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX replacing and incrementing number

Hi I am unix newbie looking for a unix bash script that can make it easier to do my code work. we have a code number for each code block that we want to incrementally assign. We have 10000 of these and it is very laborious to do this one by one. so what we want is start from the top of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chamajid
4 Replies
package(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							package(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
package - Facilities for package loading and version control SYNOPSIS
package forget ?package package ...? package ifneeded package version ?script? package names package present ?-exact? package ?version? package provide package ?version? package require ?-exact? package ?version? package unknown ?command? package vcompare version1 version2 package versions package package vsatisfies version1 version2 _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command keeps a simple database of the packages available for use by the current interpreter and how to load them into the inter- preter. It supports multiple versions of each package and arranges for the correct version of a package to be loaded based on what is needed by the application. This command also detects and reports version clashes. Typically, only the package require and package provide commands are invoked in normal Tcl scripts; the other commands are used primarily by system scripts that maintain the package database. The behavior of the package command is determined by its first argument. The following forms are permitted: package forget ?package package ...? Removes all information about each specified package from this interpreter, including information provided by both package ifneeded and package provide. package ifneeded package version ?script? This command typically appears only in system configuration scripts to set up the package database. It indicates that a particular version of a particular package is available if needed, and that the package can be added to the interpreter by executing script. The script is saved in a database for use by subsequent package require commands; typically, script sets up auto-loading for the commands in the package (or calls load and/or source directly), then invokes package provide to indicate that the package is present. There may be information in the database for several different versions of a single package. If the database already con- tains information for package and version, the new script replaces the existing one. If the script argument is omitted, the current script for version version of package package is returned, or an empty string if no package ifneeded command has been invoked for this package and version. package names Returns a list of the names of all packages in the interpreter for which a version has been provided (via package provide) or for which a package ifneeded script is available. The order of elements in the list is arbitrary. package present ?-exact? package ?version? This command is equivalent to package require except that it does not try and load the package if it is not already loaded. package provide package ?version? This command is invoked to indicate that version version of package package is now present in the interpreter. It is typically invoked once as part of an ifneeded script, and again by the package itself when it is finally loaded. An error occurs if a differ- ent version of package has been provided by a previous package provide command. If the version argument is omitted, then the com- mand returns the version number that is currently provided, or an empty string if no package provide command has been invoked for package in this interpreter. package require ?-exact? package ?version? This command is typically invoked by Tcl code that wishes to use a particular version of a particular package. The arguments indi- cate which package is wanted, and the command ensures that a suitable version of the package is loaded into the interpreter. If the command succeeds, it returns the version number that is loaded; otherwise it generates an error. If both the -exact switch and the version argument are specified then only the given version is acceptable. If -exact is omitted but version is specified, then ver- sions later than version are also acceptable as long as they have the same major version number as version. If both -exact and ver- sion are omitted then any version whatsoever is acceptable. If a version of package has already been provided (by invoking the package provide command), then its version number must satisfy the criteria given by -exact and version and the command returns immediately. Otherwise, the command searches the database of information provided by previous package ifneeded commands to see if an acceptable version of the package is available. If so, the script for the highest acceptable version number is invoked; it must do whatever is necessary to load the package, including calling package provide for the package. If the package ifneeded database does not contain an acceptable version of the package and a package unknown command has been specified for the interpreter then that command is invoked; when it completes, Tcl checks again to see if the package is now provided or if there is a package ifneeded script for it. If all of these steps fail to provide an acceptable version of the package, then the command returns an error. package unknown ?command? This command supplies a ``last resort'' command to invoke during package require if no suitable version of a package can be found in the package ifneeded database. If the command argument is supplied, it contains the first part of a command; when the command is invoked during a package require command, Tcl appends two additional arguments giving the desired package name and version. For example, if command is foo bar and later the command package require test 2.4 is invoked, then Tcl will execute the command foo bar test 2.4 to load the package. If no version number is supplied to the package require command, then the version argument for the invoked command will be an empty string. If the package unknown command is invoked without a command argument, then the current package unknown script is returned, or an empty string if there is none. If command is specified as an empty string, then the cur- rent package unknown script is removed, if there is one. package vcompare version1 version2 Compares the two version numbers given by version1 and version2. Returns -1 if version1 is an earlier version than version2, 0 if they are equal, and 1 if version1 is later than version2. package versions package Returns a list of all the version numbers of package for which information has been provided by package ifneeded commands. package vsatisfies version1 version2 Returns 1 if scripts written for version2 will work unchanged with version1 (i.e. version1 is equal to or greater than version2 and they both have the same major version number), 0 otherwise. VERSION NUMBERS
Version numbers consist of one or more decimal numbers separated by dots, such as 2 or 1.162 or 3.1.13.1. The first number is called the major version number. Larger numbers correspond to later versions of a package, with leftmost numbers having greater significance. For example, version 2.1 is later than 1.3 and version 3.4.6 is later than 3.3.5. Missing fields are equivalent to zeroes: version 1.3 is the same as version 1.3.0 and 1.3.0.0, so it is earlier than 1.3.1 or 1.3.0.2. A later version number is assumed to be upwards compatible with an earlier version number as long as both versions have the same major version number. For example, Tcl scripts written for version 2.3 of a package should work unchanged under versions 2.3.2, 2.4, and 2.5.1. Changes in the major version number signify incompatible changes: if code is written to use version 2.1 of a package, it is not guaranteed to work unmodified with either version 1.7.3 or version 3.1. PACKAGE INDICES
The recommended way to use packages in Tcl is to invoke package require and package provide commands in scripts, and use the procedure pkg_mkIndex to create package index files. Once you've done this, packages will be loaded automatically in response to package require commands. See the documentation for pkg_mkIndex for details. SEE ALSO
msgcat(n), packagens(n), pkgMkIndex(n) KEYWORDS
package, version Tcl 7.5 package(n)