Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Malloc function returning NULL Post 302820749 by shamrock on Thursday 13th of June 2013 11:28:20 AM
Old 06-13-2013
@OP:

I was only interested in the definition of the format_tree structure i.e. what its members are. Also are you compiling the source code for 32 or 64 bit mode and how much physical memory is installed on each of the *nixes...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

malloc function

Hello This is a simple program i carried out in my machine i dont know how it is working #include<alloc.h> #include<stdio.h> mian() { int *p,j; p= (int*)malloc(1); for(j=1;j<=580;j++) { *p=j; ++p; } p=p-580; for(j=1;j<=580;j++) { printf("%d",*p); } (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajashekaran
7 Replies

2. Solaris

malloc returning NULL if freemem high & swapmem low

Hi All, In my application malloc is returning NULL even though there is sufficient amount of free memory is available but swap memory is low. Is this possible that, if free memory is high & swap memory is low, malloc will not be able to allocate memory & return NULL ?:) Kindly look into... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ritesh Kumar
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

malloc returning NULL if freemem high & swapmem low (MPRAS version 3.03 )

Hi All,:) In my application malloc is returning NULL even though there is sufficient amount of free memory available but the swap memory is low. Is this possible that, if free memory is high & swap memory is low, malloc will not be able to allocate memory & return NULL ? Few details: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ritesh Kumar
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

returning from a function

Hi all, I am very new to BASH shell programming. I need to return an integer from a function to the caller function. I did this: but it keeps giving me wrong return: Can someone help me out here, please? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alirezan
2 Replies

5. Programming

getservbyport - Always returning NULL servent

Hi, I am having an issue using getservbyport. Here is a little program to demonstrate the problem (removed the includes): int main(void) { struct servent *service; int memsize = sizeof(struct servent); service = (struct servent *)malloc(memsize); ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goon12
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script returning null results

Hi, The following shell script returning null results could you please tell me whats the problem in script, ********************************* #!/bin/ksh . $HOME/conf/systemProperties/EnvSetup.properties a=`date +"%y%m%d"` set -x for i in `cat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivanete
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning the name of function used

Hi All In my script, I can call on several functions. I have a logging function that is called by any of these functions. What I would like is some way of identifying which function I am using and pass this to the log function as some parameter. Is there some built in command or way of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpin2502
3 Replies

8. Programming

Regarding the maximum memory allocated by malloc() function on HP-UX B11.11

In a 'C' program,when I am trying to allocate memory with the help of malloc () function, it is allocating the memory up to a certain limit for e.g. in my case, it is 670 MB (approx). malloc() returns NULL if I allocate more than this amount of memory.When I tried to allocate memory in chunks of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vipinsachan
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

getservbyname returning NULL

OS : Solaris 10 When I try to get the "echo" service port, getservbyname is returning null. I checked - /etc/services having an entry for echo - echo 7/tcp (But still getservbyname returning null) Any other config required to consider? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satish@123
1 Replies

10. Programming

Getpwnam_r returning null with errno 25

I am calling getpwnam_r with all proper argument as below:- rv = getpwnam_r(name, result, buffer, buflen); This program runs fine on sol 8/9/10. But on sol 11 it returns NULL with errno set to 25 (#define ENOTTY 25 /* Inappropriate ioctl for device */) All boxes are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ranajit
2 Replies
GETCWD(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 GETCWD(3)

NAME
getcwd, get_current_dir_name, getwd - Get current working directory SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getcwd(char *buf, size_t size); char *get_current_dir_name(void); char *getwd(char *buf); DESCRIPTION
The getcwd() function copies an absolute pathname of the current working directory to the array pointed to by buf, which is of length size. If the current absolute path name would require a buffer longer than size elements, NULL is returned, and errno is set to ERANGE; an appli- cation should check for this error, and allocate a larger buffer if necessary. If buf is NULL, the behaviour of getcwd() is undefined. As an extension to the POSIX.1 standard, Linux (libc4, libc5, glibc) getcwd() allocates the buffer dynamically using malloc() if buf is NULL on call. In this case, the allocated buffer has the length size unless size is zero, when buf is allocated as big as necessary. It is possible (and, indeed, advisable) to free() the buffers if they have been obtained this way. get_current_dir_name, which is only prototyped if _GNU_SOURCE is defined, will malloc(3) an array big enough to hold the current directory name. If the environment variable PWD is set, and its value is correct, then that value will be returned. getwd, which is only prototyped if _BSD_SOURCE or _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED is defined, will not malloc(3) any memory. The buf argument should be a pointer to an array at least PATH_MAX bytes long. getwd does only return the first PATH_MAX bytes of the actual pathname. Note that PATH_MAX need not be a compile-time constant; it may depend on the filesystem and may even be unlimited. For portability and security rea- sons, use of getwd is deprecated. RETURN VALUE
NULL on failure with errno set accordingly, and buf on success. The contents of the array pointed to by buf is undefined on error. ERRORS
EACCES Permission to read or search a component of the file name was denied. EFAULT buf points to a bad address. EINVAL The size argument is zero and buf is not a null pointer. ENOENT The current working directory has been unlinked. ERANGE The size argument is less than the length of the working directory name. You need to allocate a bigger array and try again. NOTES
Under Linux, the function getcwd() is a system call (since 2.1.92). On older systems it would query /proc/self/cwd. If both system call and proc file system are missing, a generic implementation is called. Only in that case can these calls fail under Linux with EACCES. These functions are often used to save the location of the current working directory for the purpose of returning to it later. Opening the current directory (".") and calling fchdir(2) to return is usually a faster and more reliable alternative when sufficiently many file descriptors are available, especially on platforms other than Linux. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1 SEE ALSO
chdir(2), fchdir(2), open(2), unlink(2), free(3), malloc(3) GNU
2002-04-22 GETCWD(3)