Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sorting operations on several files Post 302820291 by kayak on Wednesday 12th of June 2013 12:43:35 PM
Old 06-12-2013
Thanks Jim, this should work well well. I will run the script on a cluster, so no problems about memory. Would it be possible to omit the first three lines (with #) in each file in the average calculation? It seems it makes a tiny difference in the final result.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sorting files

ok so I'm having major issues trying to figure this out: I have this program that I'm inputting the files in hte current directory which are image files...it spits out 5 line chunks describing the files... filename: (name of file) size: (100 x 200) arbitrary data arbitrary data arbitrary... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Infraredskies
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting files

Hi, What is the command for sorting files according to their size Thanx in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sendhil
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting Files

How to sort such files which contains records of varying length and varying lines? (With respect to Bash shell) Eg: Each record begins with a sting of 1/0(binary) which may or may not be followed by properties like AB,BS etc. I have to sort such records on the basis of 1/0 string and keep the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep_hi
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Operations on columns of 2 files

Hi I have 2 file with many lines and colums and i want to do some operation for each value in the 2 files : Matrix1 : a11 a12 a13 a14 ... a21 a22 a23 a42 ... a31 a32 a33 a32 ... ... Matrix2 : b11 b12 b13 b14 ... b21 b22 b23 b42 ... b31 b32 b33 b32 ... ... I want to have the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rauchy
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matrix Operations of two files

Hi , I have two files aaa.txt (which contains) 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 and bbb.txt (which contains) -1 -2 -3 -4 -5 -6 5 -8 0 3 0 0 the output that I intended to have is 0 0 0 0 0 0 6 0 4.5 6.5 5.5 6 i.e. Averaging the script is in the file abc Begin{START of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: narendra_linux
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with sorting files

find / -type f 2> /dev/null | find -inum +1 2> /dev/null | find -mtime -30 2> /dev/null what i am trying to do i search all regular files in root directory with one or more inodes modified within last 30 days. the /dev/null is to suppress the permission denied outputs. i am now trying to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iluvsushi
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

i need help in sorting two files

i have file a 123 234 456 567 678 and file b 123|xxx|hhh|ppp or zzz 234|rrr|ttt|xxx 432|ttt|mmm|nnn 678|cft|byt|mop i want to compare file a to file b such that when each of the lines in file a can be found in file b column1 and also xxx or hhh or ppp or zzz can be... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackzinga80
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting files

I have the following set of files and I want to order them according to the ascending values of the run: For example, doing ls -lrt *drw*.log gives n02-z30-sr65-rgdt0p25-dc0p08-4x3drw.log n02-z30-sr65-rgdt0p25-dc0p03-8x6drw.log n02-z30-sr65-rgdt0p25-dc0p01-8x6drw.log ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
18 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Complex data sorting in excel files or text files

Dear all, I have a complex data file shown below,,,,, A_ABCD_13208 0 0 4.16735 141044 902449 1293900 168919 C_ABCD_13208 0 0 4.16735 141044 902449 1293900 168919 A_ABCDEF715 52410.9 18598.2 10611 10754.7 122535 252426 36631.4 C_DBCDI_1353 0... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: AAWT
19 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read and write operations on files.

Dears. kindly guide !!! I have data, which is delimited by | . it should contain 26 columns, but one column data contain | makes few row to 27 columns. I want to find rows have 27 columns and then concatenate the specific columns to single column to make it 26 columns. Kindly help, Can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sadique.manzar
3 Replies
CLUSTERDB(1)						  PostgreSQL Client Applications					      CLUSTERDB(1)

NAME
clusterdb - cluster a PostgreSQL database SYNOPSIS
clusterdb [ connection-options... ] [ --table | -t table ] [ dbname ] clusterdb [ connection-options... ] [ --all | -a ] DESCRIPTION
clusterdb is a utility for reclustering tables in a PostgreSQL database. It finds tables that have previously been clustered, and clusters them again on the same index that was last used. Tables that have never been clustered are not touched. clusterdb is a shell script wrapper around the backend command CLUSTER [cluster(7)] via the PostgreSQL interactive terminal psql(1). There is no effective difference between clustering databases via this or other methods. psql must be found by the script and a database server must be running at the targeted host. Also, any default settings and environment variables available to psql and the libpq front-end library do apply. clusterdb might need to connect several times to the PostgreSQL server, asking for a password each time. It is convenient to have a $HOME/.pgpass file in such cases. OPTIONS
clusterdb accepts the following command-line arguments: -a --all Cluster all databases. [-d] dbname [--dbname] dbname Specifies the name of the database to be clustered. If this is not specified and -a (or --all) is not used, the database name is read from the environment variable PGDATABASE. If that is not set, the user name specified for the connection is used. -e --echo Echo the commands that clusterdb generates and sends to the server. -q --quiet Do not display a response. -t table --table table Clusters table only. clusterdb also accepts the following command-line arguments for connection parameters: -h host --host host Specifies the host name of the machine on which the server is running. If host begins with a slash, it is used as the directory for the Unix domain socket. -p port --port port Specifies the Internet TCP/IP port or local Unix domain socket file extension on which the server is listening for connections. -U username --username username User name to connect as -W --password Force password prompt. DIAGNOSTICS
CLUSTER Everything went well. clusterdb: Cluster failed. Something went wrong. clusterdb is only a wrapper script. See CLUSTER [cluster(7)] and psql(1) for a detailed discussion of error messages and potential problems. Note that this message may appear once per table to be clustered. ENVIRONMENT
PGDATABASE PGHOST PGPORT PGUSER Default connection parameters. EXAMPLES
To cluster the database test: $ clusterdb test To cluster a single table foo in a database named xyzzy: $ clusterdb --table foo xyzzy SEE ALSO
CLUSTER [cluster(7)] Application 2002-11-22 CLUSTERDB(1)