Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Do loop doesn't iterate
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Do loop doesn't iterate Post 302819999 by bakunin on Tuesday 11th of June 2013 10:20:37 PM
Old 06-11-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrutinizer
Also see if this makes a difference:
Good catch: if some filenames contain control characters the original construct with the subshell "$(...)" might result in somewhat obfuscated output because this is interpreted by the shell a second time.

It will be a good idea to test which output ls -rt *txt | tail -n 2 really produces.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why script For...Loop doesn't work. Seek help

I have written a script to run on UNIX server. When I tested, it always hanged on after "date +"%D %T: XXXXXX script started." part. Then it wouldn't go further. UNIX server gave me one error message. I used the same code in another script. It works fine. I think the major problem may be in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

a for loop that doesn't make sense

I've been referring bash info for processes and came across a structure for a process which is defined like typedef struct process { struct process *next; char ** argv . . . }process; What I don't understand is that in the program there's a for loop which goes like this job... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdsd
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop doesn't work

I have a script which uses below for loop: for (( i = 0 ; i <= 5; i++ )) do echo "Welcome $i times" done But when I run the script, it gives error message: Syntex Error : Bad for loop variable Can anyone guide to run it? Thanks in advance. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why doesn't this loop end?

Simple script, takes an cmd line argument and counts down to 1. NUMBER=$1 # One argument must be provided, otherwise don't execute if then echo "Error. Enter one argument " exit 0 elif then echo " " fi # Integer value must be greater than zero while do echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Breakology
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script doesn't work in loop but does if not

I have a script that only works if I remove it from the looping scenario. #!/bin/bash # Set the field seperator to a newline ##IFS=" ##" # Loop through the file ##for line in `cat nlist.txt`;do # put the line into a variable. ##dbuser=$line echo "copying plugin..." ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bugeye
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested While loop doesn't end

Hi, Below is my script in which i am using nested while loop to read two files and move the files to a remote server. My issue is that the 2nd while loop doesn't stop executing and it keeps on executing. Can someone please let me know where i have gone wrong. myFile=$ESER_TEST_FILES ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: funonnet
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to loop(Iterate) through List with foreach(csh)

Hey all,, I know cshell is harmful:) but I am using this just "to know" - for educational purposes!... not for a long-term use. lets say i have a list.. set arr=(x y z e f) I wanna iterate the list with foreach ,, not with while.!! foreach i $arr echo $i end does not work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eawedat
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Iterate/Loop Through XML Node List

I need to load an XML file and loop through a list of nodes in it to execute a shell script for each one using the attributes for each node as parameters for the script. Any ideas? Any help will be much appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bradlecat
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Iterate array using loop over ssh

A simple script: #!/bin/bash test=test test1=(test1 test2 test3) echo ${test1 } ssh server 'echo '$test'; echo '${test1 }' ; echo '${test1}' ; for m in $(seq 1 $(echo '${test1 }' | tr " " "\n" | wc -l)); do echo $m ; echo '${test1}'; done'Here is the result: test1 test2 test3 testing... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mharald
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using nested for loop to iterate over file names

I'm trying to grab a list of file names from a directory, then process those files 5 at a time. In the link below. Instead of using files I'm using the files array which contains 15 strings starting with AAA. So I'm trying to assign $fileset 5 of the strings at a time to pass to a command. So... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zBernie
4 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)