Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Mac OS X sed, add newline after pattern Post 302819753 by pburge on Tuesday 11th of June 2013 10:49:35 AM
Old 06-11-2013
Sorry,

Not being very clear.

I have a text file that lists dmg's and I want to be able to separate the lines with a newline, with .dmg being the pattern match for the sed command.

So

Code:
1.dmg 2.dmg 3.dmg

to

Code:
1.dmg
2.dmg
3.dmg

Thanks

Last edited by Scott; 06-11-2013 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep and sed to find a pattern and add newline

Hello All, I have log file the result from a multithreaded process. So when a process finishes it will write to this log file as 123 rows merged. The issue is sometimes the processess finish at the same time or write to the file at the same time as 123 rows merged.145 rows merged. At... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssikhar
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep the pattern followed by newline

Hi I have a problem using grep to find a pattern followed by newline. Here is my file xxxxxxxxxxxpattern patternxxxxxx pattern xxxpattern xxpatternx xxxxxxyyyyxxxx I want the result to be like this xxxxxxxxxxxpattern pattern xxxpattern Please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalelle
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED: how to remove newline after pattern?

Hi, I have the following XML not well-indented code: <hallo >this is a line </hallo> So I need to remove the newline. This syntax finds what I need to correct, but I don't know how to remove the newline after my pattern: sed 's/<.*$/&/' How can I subtract the newline after my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nico.ben
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: add text if pattern not found

Hello, I would like to add the line TIMEZONE="CET" if the pattern TIMEZONE is not found between the range <JOB and JOB> : Example: Src file: <!DOCTYPE DEFTABLE SYSTEM "deftable.dtd"> <DEFTABLE > <JOB TASKTYPE="Job" TIMEFROM="0030" TIMEZONE="CET" </JOB> <JOB... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mutunzi
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert two newline after some pattern

Hi, I need to insert two newline characters after matching of a pattern in each line of a file. Eg. If i have a file with contents as follows:- Now, i want output as follows :- i.e., I need to insert two newline characters after the occurance of pattern "</Message>>". Thnx... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DTechBuddy
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Find duplicate and add pattern in sed/awk

<Update> I have the solution: sed 's/\{3\}/&;&;---;4/' The thread can be marked as solved! </Update> Hi There, I'm working on a script processing some data from a website into cvs format. There is only one final problem left I can't find a solution. I've processed my file... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lolworlds
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert new pattern in newline after the nth occurrence of a line pattern - Bash in Ubuntu 12.04

Hi, I am getting crazy after days on looking at it: Bash in Ubuntu 12.04.1 I want to do this: pattern="system /path1/file1 file1" new_pattern=" data /path2/file2 file2" file to edit: data.db - I need to search in the file data.db for the nth occurrence of pattern - pattern must... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phil3759
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to add word if pattern exists

Hi, I have a file with data listed below: clm_id double, cnl_id double, cnl_amt double I want output to be clm_id string, cnl_id string, cnl_amt double So replace double by string if the field contains the word _id I tried sed -e 's/_id/& string/' filename The above will not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wahi80
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to remove newline chars based on pattern mis-match

Greetings Experts, I am in AIX; I have a file generated through awk after processing the input files. Now I need to replace or remove the new-line characters on all lines that doesn't have a ; which is the last character on the line. I tried to use sed 's/\n/ /g' After checking through the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk to find pattern and add priffix

Original File Server1|poweredOn|268401| Server1/Server1.vmx|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (64-bit) Need Output Server1|poweredOn|DR|T1|268401| Server1/Server1.vmx|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (64-bit) Conduction to check find the string "SFCHT1" and "SR" and add prefix has... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjancom2000
4 Replies
fgrep(1)							   User Commands							  fgrep(1)

NAME
fgrep - search a file for a fixed-character string SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/fgrep [-bchilnsvx] [-e pattern_list] [-f pattern-file] [pattern] [file...] /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep [-bchilnsvx] [-e pattern_list] [-f pattern-file] [pattern] [file...] DESCRIPTION
The fgrep (fast grep) utility searches files for a character string and prints all lines that contain that string. fgrep is different from grep(1) and from egrep(1) because it searches for a string, instead of searching for a pattern that matches an expression. fgrep uses a fast and compact algorithm. The characters $, *, [, ^, |, (, ), and are interpreted literally by fgrep, that is, fgrep does not recognize full regular expressions as does egrep. These characters have special meaning to the shell. Therefore, to be safe, enclose the entire string within single quotes ('). If no files are specified, fgrep assumes standard input. Normally, each line that is found is copied to the standard output. The file name is printed before each line that is found if there is more than one input file. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -b Precedes each line by the block number on which the line was found. This can be useful in locating block numbers by con- text. The first block is 0. -c Prints only a count of the lines that contain the pattern. -e pattern_list Searches for a string in pattern-list. This is useful when the string begins with a -. -f pattern-file Takes the list of patterns from pattern-file. -h Suppresses printing of files when searching multiple files. -i Ignores upper/lower case distinction during comparisons. -l Prints the names of files with matching lines once, separated by new-lines. Does not repeat the names of files when the pattern is found more than once. -n Precedes each line by its line number in the file. The first line is 1. -s Works silently, that is, displays nothing except error messages. This is useful for checking the error status. -v Prints all lines except those that contain the pattern. -x Prints only lines that are matched entirely. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file Specifies a path name of a file to be searched for the patterns. If no file operands are specified, the standard input will be used. /usr/bin/fgrep pattern Specifies a pattern to be used during the search for input. /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep pattern Specifies one or more patterns to be used during the search for input. This operand is treated as if it were specified as -e pattern_list. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of fgrep when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of fgrep: LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 If any matches are found 1 If no matches are found 2 For syntax errors or inaccessible files, even if matches were found. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin/fgrep +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ed(1), egrep(1), grep(1), sed(1), sh(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), XPG4(5) NOTES
Ideally, there should be only one grep command, but there is not a single algorithm that spans a wide enough range of space-time tradeoffs. Lines are limited only by the size of the available virtual memory. /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep The /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep utility is identical to /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -F (see grep(1)). Portable applications should use /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -F. SunOS 5.10 4 Oct 2002 fgrep(1)