Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ksh for loop
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ksh for loop Post 302819347 by Don Cragun on Monday 10th of June 2013 04:06:07 PM
Old 06-10-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by targetshell
Any reason why this thing doesn't works in Korn Shell

for (( expr1; expr2; expr3 ))
do
..... ... repeat all statements between do and done until expr2 is TRUE Done

Rgds,
TS
Assuming your version of the Korn shell handles ((...)) in for loops, you've got the logic backwards.
Code:
for (( expr1; expr2; expr3 ))
do      statements...
done

executes the specified statements each time expr2 evaluates to TRUE and leaves the loop when expr2 evaluates to FALSE. For example:
Code:
for (( i=1; i<5; i++))
do    echo $i
done

produces the output:
Code:

because i<5 is true the 1st four times through the loop.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh while loop

hi all, got this silly problem and i just can't seem to make sense of the error message its is saying 1400: cannot open. its my first time at writing a while loop but tried all sorts to get it working without success. #!usr/bin/ksh integer max=1400 set file="afilename" integer i=1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptingmani
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop in ksh..Please help..

Hi ALL, I need to take some command line arguments for my script and then want to run a function for each argument.I thought of using for loop as below, but its not working , can some one please help... #!/bin/ksh lpar1=$1 lpar2=$2 lpar3=$3 lpar4=$4 lpar5=$5 echo "$lpar1" >>lpar.txt echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashant43
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with While loop in KSH

Hi, I want to write a while loop like this can any one say me whats wrong with my loop USAGE="Usage: Mail.ksh" integer i=3 while ((1<i<=3)) do . . . . (( CMD_JUL = LSD_JUL - i )) CUR_MAINT_DATE=$(julian2date ${CMD_JUL}) . . . i=i-1 done (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhagya2340
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why does my for loop does not work right in ksh?

hi all, i have a for loop statement in my ksh code. it only returns the first value retrieved not the value for the other rows. ex: acct_id value = returned value in the for loop 1 = 1 2 = 1 (instead of 2) 3 = ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ryukishin_17
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - for loop with variables

Hi, I 'm trying to send an e-mail for every different line in the .txt for i in {1..$variable} do sed -n "/$i$/p" text.txt done I have two problems about this. First one is that for loop doesn't work and the second one is that i cant get the output of sed (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozum
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh loop

I need an echo "hit enter" running every 3 seconds till user hit enter key. 10x (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output in for loop (ksh)

Hi , I'm writing the for loop script in home directory and wanted to get the files from /etc/data directory. #!/bin/ksh file_nm="/etc/dat" for test_data in $file_nm/fln* do echo "$test_data" done the code is executing successfully , but in the output it is showing ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with loop in ksh script

Hi, I am new to UNIX. I am working on a script where it takes the input and produces a desired output and it works fine for one instance. Input(One Instance): CREATE TABLE TAB1 ( COL1, COL2 ); CREATE UNIQUE INDEX XPKTAB1 ( COL1 )TAB1; Output: CREATE TABLE TAB1 ( COL1, COL2... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: varun2327
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Multiple if within while loop ksh

Hi All, I'm trying to write while loop with multiple if conditions. Each and every if condition with different variables. whenever one if condition fails i have remove the file from filename and have to pick another file and loop should exit until the last file found in filename. Please help... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kayal
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Error with while loop ksh

while ];do first=${hat} echo "${first}" b=$((b+1)) a=$((a+5)) done I'm trying to append values from the indicated index of one array to other, but it gives me an error with while loop....suggesting that ....... In the hat array, it contains many values... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TestKing
2 Replies
EXPR(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   EXPR(1)

NAME
expr -- evaluate expression SYNOPSIS
expr expression DESCRIPTION
The expr utility evaluates expression and writes the result on standard output. All operators and operands must be passed as separate arguments. Several of the operators have special meaning to command interpreters and must therefore be quoted appropriately. All integer operands are interpreted in base 10 and must consist of only an optional leading minus sign followed by one or more digits. Arithmetic operations are performed using signed integer math with a range according to the C intmax_t data type (the largest signed integral type available). All conversions and operations are checked for overflow. Overflow results in program termination with an error message on stdout and with an error status. Operators are listed below in order of increasing precedence; all are left-associative. Operators with equal precedence are grouped within symbols '{' and '}'. expr1 | expr2 Return the evaluation of expr1 if it is neither an empty string nor zero; otherwise, returns the evaluation of expr2 if it is not an empty string; otherwise, returns zero. expr1 & expr2 Return the evaluation of expr1 if neither expression evaluates to an empty string or zero; otherwise, returns zero. expr1 {=, >, >=, <, <=, !=} expr2 Return the results of integer comparison if both arguments are integers; otherwise, returns the results of string comparison using the locale-specific collation sequence. The result of each comparison is 1 if the specified relation is true, or 0 if the relation is false. expr1 {+, -} expr2 Return the results of addition or subtraction of integer-valued arguments. expr1 {*, /, %} expr2 Return the results of multiplication, integer division, or remainder of integer-valued arguments. expr1 : expr2 The ``:'' operator matches expr1 against expr2, which must be a basic regular expression. The regular expression is anchored to the beginning of the string with an implicit ``^''. If the match succeeds and the pattern contains at least one regular expression subexpression ``(...)'', the string corresponding to ``1'' is returned; otherwise the matching operator returns the number of characters matched. If the match fails and the pattern contains a regular expression subexpression the null string is returned; otherwise 0. Parentheses are used for grouping in the usual manner. The expr utility makes no lexical distinction between arguments which may be operators and arguments which may be operands. An operand which is lexically identical to an operator will be considered a syntax error. See the examples below for a work-around. The syntax of the expr command in general is historic and inconvenient. New applications are advised to use shell arithmetic rather than expr. EXIT STATUS
The expr utility exits with one of the following values: 0 the expression is neither an empty string nor 0. 1 the expression is an empty string or 0. 2 the expression is invalid. EXAMPLES
o The following example (in sh(1) syntax) adds one to the variable a: a=$(expr $a + 1) o This will fail if the value of a is a negative number. To protect negative values of a from being interpreted as options to the expr command, one might rearrange the expression: a=$(expr 1 + $a) o More generally, parenthesize possibly-negative values: a=$(expr ( $a ) + 1) o With shell arithmetic, no escaping is required: a=$((a + 1)) o This example prints the filename portion of a pathname stored in variable a. Since a might represent the path /, it is necessary to pre- vent it from being interpreted as the division operator. The // characters resolve this ambiguity. expr "//$a" : '.*/(.*)' o With modern sh(1) syntax, "${a##*/}" expands to the same value. The following examples output the number of characters in variable a. Again, if a might begin with a hyphen, it is necessary to prevent it from being interpreted as an option to expr, and a might be interpreted as an operator. o To deal with all of this, a complicated command is required: expr ( "X$a" : ".*" ) - 1 o With modern sh(1) syntax, this can be done much more easily: ${#a} expands to the required number. SEE ALSO
sh(1), test(1) STANDARDS
The expr utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2008 (``POSIX.1''). The extended arithmetic range and overflow checks do not conflict with POSIX's requirement that arithmetic be done using signed longs, since they only make a difference to the result in cases where using signed longs would give undefined behavior. According to the POSIX standard, the use of string arguments length, substr, index, or match produces undefined results. In this version of expr, these arguments are treated just as their respective string values. BSD
September 9, 2010 BSD