Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ^H characters appear when opening text file using vi - RHEL Post 302819083 by in2nix4life on Monday 10th of June 2013 09:09:27 AM
Old 06-10-2013
I usually use the following if I find the need to convert a man page to a text file:

Code:
man ksh | col -b > kshManPage.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete a particular text without opening the file.

Hi, Could someone tell me how to delete a particular text inside an existing file without opening the file? e.g. I have a text file called mytext.txt which contains three lines of text below and I want to delete “ ;” and delete the second line “b ;” including the carriage return. a ; b ; c ;... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Urgent help needed to delete some text without opening the file in unix

Hi To delete some text in 2 files in line1 ( not complete line) in unix without opening the files. For example: source file is like this <?xml version="1.0"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pyaranoid
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read text from a file between two characters..

I have a requirement where i have to read from a .sh file a text lying bet characters like 'SELECT' & ';'...Please help me out in this. I am new to shell scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goutam_igate
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with deleting characters from text file

I have a text file that looks like this: I want to delete the last character of first column in all rows so that my output looks like this: Thanks a lot! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Any way to get rid of ^M characters in a text file using pr?

When I use vi to see what's in the file I get this: int add1(int x) {^M return x + 1;^M} ^Mint subtract1(int x) {^M return x - 1;^M} ^Mint double_it(int x) {^M return x * 2;^M} ^Mint halve_it(int x) {^Mreturn x / 2;^M} ^Mint main() {^M int myint;^M int result;^M ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nonito84
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

Does RHEL 5 provide a command to collect RHEL system log in single compress file?

Hi, I heard a command that can collect all RHEL 5 log in a single compress file before I forget. Does any body know...What the command is ? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnnnnnine
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting 2 characters with into 2 categories from a text file

I have a tab delimited file of the following format 2 L a 2 G b 2 L c 2 G a 3 G a 3 G b 3 L c 4 L a 4 G a 4 G b 4 L c 4 G a .. ... I want to count the number of G's and L's with in the first column and the third column/categories such that I would get an output file: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if the text file has more than 2 characters

Guys, I know that the below command will cut the 13th field from test.txt file awk -F"|" '{print $13}' test.txt The answer would be, CA CN Ohio If we see the 3 rd one, it has more than 2 characters. So i wanted to check this in if condition and i want to get the output if the 13th... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AraR87
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to display Chinese and Japanese Characters on Rhel 6?

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to display Chinese and Japanese Characters on my RHEL 6 Console. There is no more "bogl-bterm" for RHEL6, that is not supported anymore. Is there any way that I could display them? Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjeedu2247
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove all junk characters from a text file

I am using flatfile, in that flat file we are getting the junk chars 1)I21001f<82>^Me<85>!h49 Service Charge 2) I21001f‚ e...!h49 Service Charge please tell me how to remove all junk chars in unix scripts. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Talari
1 Replies
RHNPLUGIN(8)							   Red Hat, Inc.						      RHNPLUGIN(8)

NAME
rhnplugin - Spacewalk/Red Hat Satellite support for yum(8). DESCRIPTION
rhnplugin provides Spacewalk support for yum(8) via its plugin architecture. A system registered with Spacewalk will be able to update and install packages from Spacewalk. FILES
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date The common configuration file used by RHN client programs. /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/rhnplugin.conf A file containing plugin specific configuration options. SEE ALSO
yum(8), rhn_check(8), rhn_register(8), rhnplugin.conf(5), up2date(5). AUTHORS
James Bowes <jbowes@redhat.com> and Peter Vetere <pvetere@redhat.com>. BUGS
Report bugs to <http://bugzilla.redhat.com>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2006 Red Hat, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. Linux 2006 November 13 RHNPLUGIN(8)