Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? How to start in System Administration? Post 302818757 by Scrutinizer on Sunday 9th of June 2013 03:04:39 AM
Old 06-09-2013
If you have the possibility to study and there is no direct financial need and age is not much of a factor, I would be inclined to take that opportunity. That will increase your agility to switch to something else should the employment opportunities in your particular field of expertise dry up, for example development or business analysis.

Perhaps you could study and get a part time help desk job on the side to gain experience, put you study into perspective and help keep your study debt low. You could perhaps get a certificate or two to move on to part time system administration, if there are jobs like that in your country. Just set a limit on how many hours you can work so these activities will not jeopardize your study. Just my 2c..

--
Moved thread to the lounge..

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 06-09-2013 at 04:10 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System Administration

I have been working with UNIX (HP-UX) now for a couple of years. Have become quite capable in shell scripting and general UNIX use. The local university offers a certification course in UNIX administration which I am considering taking. However, the certification is geared toward UNIX in general... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: google
13 Replies

2. HP-UX

Hp-UX system administration exam ( HP0-002).

Hi, I would like to know some details about Hp-UX system administration exam ( HP0-002). I want to know 1. What is the passing percentage 2. How touch is the exam. I am reading Rehman's book thru and thru. I need to know if any other studies are required. I have some 4 years of Unix hands... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas_sri
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

HP0-002 system administration certification

Hi, I would like to know some details about Hp-UX system administration exam ( HP0-002). I want to know 1. What is the passing percentage 2. How touch is the exam. I am reading Rehman's book thru and thru. I need to know if any other studies are required. I have some 4 years of Unix hands... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vikas_sri
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP-UX system & Network Administration II.PDF

Dear all, I plan to take HP-UX cert. EXAM. But, I cannot find hp-ux system & network administration II.pdf file Do you know where can I download?? Do you have? can you send to me? Thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkpcman
2 Replies

5. Solaris

System Administration Certification

I'm planning to take System Administration certification in SUN Solaris. Can some one suggest me if there are any links are URLs to find sample question papers. Pharos (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Information about Unix System Administration

I'm a newbie so I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section... if I didn't, please forgive me :) I've been looking all over the web for information on system administration. I'd like to become a Unix System Administrator but I want to find some more info about the job. Can someone please... (54 Replies)
Discussion started by: hpicracing
54 Replies

7. Solaris

Various System Administration Questions

Sorry I'm kind of desperate here :wall:, there's a security audit coming next week :( and I can't seem to find solutions for the questions below :confused:. 1) I need to limit usage on account during non-working hours. There's no /etc/security/time.conf file in my system should I create it? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShouTenraku
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

System/Network Administration Tools

Sorry for making this post so generic. I'm trying to see if there are tools that exist that look at local network/system configurations and find problems... for example: - NTP server configured that cannot be reached (can cause the system to drift because nobody is alerted to the fact that the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjinno
0 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Learning System Administration: What to focus on?

In the fall I am taking courses in System Admin and Networking Admin, along with Cisco classes. Sometime next year I hope to get Red Hat and CCNA certifications, then try to get some experience and a job. I am wondering what I can focus on in the meantime (and in my spare time) that will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ScottLew
1 Replies
PCREPRECOMPILE(3)					     Library Functions Manual						 PCREPRECOMPILE(3)

NAME
PCRE - Perl-compatible regular expressions SAVING AND RE-USING PRECOMPILED PCRE PATTERNS If you are running an application that uses a large number of regular expression patterns, it may be useful to store them in a precompiled form instead of having to compile them every time the application is run. If you are not using any private character tables (see the pcre_maketables() documentation), this is relatively straightforward. If you are using private tables, it is a little bit more complicated. However, if you are using the just-in-time optimization feature, it is not possible to save and reload the JIT data. If you save compiled patterns to a file, you can copy them to a different host and run them there. If the two hosts have different endian- ness (byte order), you should run the pcre[16|32]_pattern_to_host_byte_order() function on the new host before trying to match the pattern. The matching functions return PCRE_ERROR_BADENDIANNESS if they detect a pattern with the wrong endianness. Compiling regular expressions with one version of PCRE for use with a different version is not guaranteed to work and may cause crashes, and saving and restoring a compiled pattern loses any JIT optimization data. SAVING A COMPILED PATTERN
The value returned by pcre[16|32]_compile() points to a single block of memory that holds the compiled pattern and associated data. You can find the length of this block in bytes by calling pcre[16|32]_fullinfo() with an argument of PCRE_INFO_SIZE. You can then save the data in any appropriate manner. Here is sample code for the 8-bit library that compiles a pattern and writes it to a file. It assumes that the variable fd refers to a file that is open for output: int erroroffset, rc, size; char *error; pcre *re; re = pcre_compile("my pattern", 0, &error, &erroroffset, NULL); if (re == NULL) { ... handle errors ... } rc = pcre_fullinfo(re, NULL, PCRE_INFO_SIZE, &size); if (rc < 0) { ... handle errors ... } rc = fwrite(re, 1, size, fd); if (rc != size) { ... handle errors ... } In this example, the bytes that comprise the compiled pattern are copied exactly. Note that this is binary data that may contain any of the 256 possible byte values. On systems that make a distinction between binary and non-binary data, be sure that the file is opened for binary output. If you want to write more than one pattern to a file, you will have to devise a way of separating them. For binary data, preceding each pattern with its length is probably the most straightforward approach. Another possibility is to write out the data in hexadecimal instead of binary, one pattern to a line. Saving compiled patterns in a file is only one possible way of storing them for later use. They could equally well be saved in a database, or in the memory of some daemon process that passes them via sockets to the processes that want them. If the pattern has been studied, it is also possible to save the normal study data in a similar way to the compiled pattern itself. How- ever, if the PCRE_STUDY_JIT_COMPILE was used, the just-in-time data that is created cannot be saved because it is too dependent on the cur- rent environment. When studying generates additional information, pcre[16|32]_study() returns a pointer to a pcre[16|32]_extra data block. Its format is defined in the section on matching a pattern in the pcreapi documentation. The study_data field points to the binary study data, and this is what you must save (not the pcre[16|32]_extra block itself). The length of the study data can be obtained by calling pcre[16|32]_fullinfo() with an argument of PCRE_INFO_STUDYSIZE. Remember to check that pcre[16|32]_study() did return a non-NULL value before trying to save the study data. RE-USING A PRECOMPILED PATTERN Re-using a precompiled pattern is straightforward. Having reloaded it into main memory, called pcre[16|32]_pattern_to_host_byte_order() if necessary, you pass its pointer to pcre[16|32]_exec() or pcre[16|32]_dfa_exec() in the usual way. However, if you passed a pointer to custom character tables when the pattern was compiled (the tableptr argument of pcre[16|32]_compile()), you must now pass a similar pointer to pcre[16|32]_exec() or pcre[16|32]_dfa_exec(), because the value saved with the compiled pattern will obviously be nonsense. A field in a pcre[16|32]_extra() block is used to pass this data, as described in the section on matching a pattern in the pcreapi documentation. If you did not provide custom character tables when the pattern was compiled, the pointer in the compiled pattern is NULL, which causes the matching functions to use PCRE's internal tables. Thus, you do not need to take any special action at run time in this case. If you saved study data with the compiled pattern, you need to create your own pcre[16|32]_extra data block and set the study_data field to point to the reloaded study data. You must also set the PCRE_EXTRA_STUDY_DATA bit in the flags field to indicate that study data is present. Then pass the pcre[16|32]_extra block to the matching function in the usual way. If the pattern was studied for just-in-time opti- mization, that data cannot be saved, and so is lost by a save/restore cycle. COMPATIBILITY WITH DIFFERENT PCRE RELEASES
In general, it is safest to recompile all saved patterns when you update to a new PCRE release, though not all updates actually require this. AUTHOR
Philip Hazel University Computing Service Cambridge CB2 3QH, England. REVISION
Last updated: 24 June 2012 Copyright (c) 1997-2012 University of Cambridge. PCRE 8.30 24 June 2012 PCREPRECOMPILE(3)