Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Disk controller reassignment
Operating Systems Solaris Disk controller reassignment Post 302818653 by hicksd8 on Saturday 8th of June 2013 06:43:50 AM
Old 06-08-2013
Hey, I just had another thought on this.

You say that the platform is a T4-1 and this box usually has a built-in hardware raid controller. You seem to be saying that the 'factory' install mirrored the first two slots, which is normal for factory setup.

Does your box have a built-in hardware raid controller?

If so, could that be the reason the first two slots are mirrored??

If so, you can break that mirror with the raid tools and create another mirror of your choice.

I may be completely wrong on this but you need to check it out.
(Google "T4-1 RAID")

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Controller Naming

Hello all, How does the Solaris identifies the controller subscript ? ( like c0txdxs0 or c1txdxsx ?? ) I have a unix box ( Ultra 30) running with 2.5.1. When I connected an external hard disk to the on-board scsi port, it got identified as c0t1dxsx... (... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shibz
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Controller target disk?

Hi, I am a newbie to Solaris. I want to know how to find out the controller target and disk number on a SunFire V890 box that has 6X72GB disks. The probe-scsi output is as shown below: /pci@8,600000/SUNW,qlc@2 LiD HA LUN --- Port WWN --- ----- Disk description ----- 0 0 0 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudhir_shet
1 Replies

3. Solaris

changing controller name

Dear Solarizer, If i have a disk let say like this c1t0d0s0 How to change the controller to be come example : c3t0d0s0 Thanxs For your replay Regads, tpx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tpx99
3 Replies

4. SCO

Warning HD: no root disk controller was found

hi... i hav a problem to install sco unix while installing sco unix 5.0.5 in acer altos with hardware raid am getting error "Warning HD: no root disk controller was found system error 5: while getting fs type flushing controller: DAC960PRL cache done." i hav use the following... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: mselvaprakash
18 Replies

5. HP-UX

[Joy Share] - Replace an unknown status controller on HP FC60 disk array

Replace an unknown status controller on HP FC60 disk array Author:JoyOnline JoyChangLu@gmail.com Trouble description: The users detected that the status of controller at A is unknown. Analysis and diagnostic: Physical observed all leds on enclosure of disk array is normal. The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoyOnLine
4 Replies

6. SCO

SCO 5.0.7 no root disk controller found error during install

I'm "attempting" to install SCO 5.0.7 on an HP ML370 G4 server and am ready to bash the keyboard with head now. I keep getting the error message "WARNING hd: no root disk controller found" when running the bootable install cd. I have a raid 5 array with an online spare created using 4 36.3 GB... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FrictionBurn
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Help needed to find out the disk controller for veritas disks

hi all i am using vxvm 5.1 on my sun blade 150 which is running with solaris 5.10. When i give the command "vxdisk list" it gives the following output # vxdisk list DEVICE TYPE DISK GROUP STATUS c0t0d0s2 auto:none - - online... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingston
2 Replies

8. SCO

Change Disk controller in SCO 6.0.0

So today I tried to upgrade a customer from a Proliant with an HPSAS controller to an Intel server with a MEGASAS controller. First, I downloaded the megasas driver from SCO and installed it on the old system. Then I created a new Microlite Edge emergency boot cd with the new driver on it. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Changed disk controller -> drops into GRUB?!

I changed disk controller. Unplugged every disk, inserted another controller card, an IBM M1015. The disks are recognized in BIOS, and the controller card's BIOS shows up. But after that, I drop into GRUB and a prompt. That is all. How shall I solve this problem? I am thinking of booting from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kebabbert
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Sun Fire v440 Hard disk or controller broken? WARNING: /pci@1f,700000/scsi@2/sd@0,0 (sd1)

Hi, I have a Sun Fire V440 server that fails to boot up correctly. A lot of services are not started and the sytems acts really slow to commands. During boot I can see the following Error: WARNING: /pci@1f,700000/scsi@2/sd@0,0 (sd1): SCSI transport failed: reason 'reset': retrying... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: oliwei
15 Replies
MKINITRD(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       MKINITRD(8)

NAME
mkinitrd - creates initial ramdisk images for preloading modules SYNOPSIS
mkinitrd [--version] [-v] [-f] [--preload=module] [--omit-scsi-modules] [--omit-raid-modules] [--omit-lvm-modules] [--with=module] [--image-version] [--fstab=fstab] [--nocompress] [--builtin=module] [--nopivot] image kernel-version DESCRIPTION
mkinitrd creates filesystem images which are suitable for use as Linux initial ramdisk (initrd) images. Such images are often used for preloading the block device modules (such as IDE, SCSI or RAID) which are needed to access the root filesystem. mkinitrd automatically loads filesystem modules (such as ext3 and jbd), IDE modules, all scsi_hostadapter entries in /etc/modules.conf, and raid modules if the system's root partition is on raid, which makes it simple to build and use kernels using modular device drivers. Any module options specified in /etc/modules.conf are passed to the modules as they are loaded by the initial ramdisk. If the root device is on a loop device (such as /dev/loop0), mkinitrd will build an initrd which sets up the loopback file properly. To do this, the fstab must contain a comment of the form: # LOOP0: /dev/hda1 vfat /linux/rootfs LOOP0 must be the name of the loop device which needs to be configured, in all capital lettes. The parameters after the colon are the device which contains the filesystem with the loopback image on it, the filesystem which is on the device, and the full path to the loop- back image. If the filesystem is modular, initrd will automatically add the filesystem's modules to the initrd image. The root filesystem used by the kernel is specified in the boot configuration file, as always. The traditional root=/dev/hda1 style device specification is allowed. If a label is used, as in root=LABEL=rootPart the initrd will search all available devices for an ext2 or ext3 filesystem with the appropriate label, and mount that device as the root filesystem. OPTIONS
--builtin=module Act as if module is built into the kernel being used. mkinitrd will not look for this module, and will not emit an error if it does not exist. This option may be used multiple times. -f Allows mkinitrd to overwrite an existing image file. --fstab=fstab Use fstab to automatically determine what type of filesystem the root device is on. Normally, /etc/fstab is used. --image-version The kernel version number is appended to the initrd image path before the image is created. --nocompress Normally the created initrd image is compressed with gzip. If this option is specified, the compression is skipped. --nopivot Do not use the pivot_root system call as part of the initrd. This lets mkinitrd build proper images for Linux 2.2 kernels at the expense of some features. In particular, some filesystems (such as ext3) will not work properly and filesystem options will not be used to mount root. This option is not recommended, and will be removed in future versions. --omit-lvm-modules Do not load any lvm modules, even if /etc/fstab expects them. --omit-raid-modules Do not load any raid modules, even if /etc/fstab and /etc/raidtab expect them. --omit-scsi-modules Do not load any scsi modules, including 'scsi_mod' and 'sd_mod' modules, even if they are present. --preload=module Load the module module in the initial ramdisk image. The module gets loaded before any SCSI modules which are specified in /etc/mod- ules.conf. This option may be used as many times as necessary. -v Prints out verbose information while creating the image (normally the mkinitrd runs silently). --version Prints the version of mkinitrd that's being used and then exits. --with=module Load the modules module in the initial ramdisk image. The module gets loaded after any SCSI modules which are specified in /etc/mod- ules.conf. This option may be used as many times as necessary. FILES
/dev/loop* A block loopback device is used to create the image, which makes this script useless on systems without block loopback support available. /etc/modules.conf Specified SCSI modules to be loaded and module options to be used. SEE ALSO
fstab(5), insmod(1), kerneld(8), lilo(8) AUTHOR
Erik Troan <ewt@redhat.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution Sat Mar 27 1999 MKINITRD(8)