Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity Password encryption - migration user accounts from SuSe to RedHat Post 302818415 by Corona688 on Friday 7th of June 2013 12:49:19 PM
Old 06-07-2013
Agreed, you can't convert. The entire point of keeping passwords in hashes is because you cannot reverse them. You can only compare a hash to another hash.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

User name and password encryption

Hi, I have usernames and passwords (to connect oracle DB) buried in so many shell scripts. We want to externalize all usernames and passwords from those shell scripts and encrypt them and keep them in a file. So far I found two choices, 1) Use some encryption algorithms like (RC5/MD5) to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: satguyz
5 Replies

2. HP-UX

HP-UX to Redhat Linux Migration

Hi, We are planning to do migration from HP-UX to Redhat linux. We have 1300 makefiels. Is there any difference between HP-UX make and GNU make? Is there any tutorial on that? Regards hari_anj (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hari_anj
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single user mode - user accounts passwords

hello ppl, someone must be able to help with this --> I have an old NCR tower 32 with an ADDS terminal running a unix version 020102 (Im not sure if thats correct but its unix for sure). I have no user names and no passwords and need to login to read a tape. Is there any way to do that? I hear... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orestis
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between : Locked User Account & Disabled User Accounts in Linux ?

Thanks AVKlinux (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: avklinux
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password encryption

In unix, i know the password encrypt by using salt But how does it work? And how windows protect its password? Thank you for helping in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cryogen
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Migration to Redhat

Hi, We are currently using solaris 9 on sunfire v240 and strongly considering to migrate to redhat enterprise. But we are not sure if we can install redhat enterprise on sunfire WS . Although, we will purchase a X64 machine we also want to use sunfire machine. can we install redhat on sunfire... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: titanic
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

password change for user on Redhat 5.6

Hi expert, after creating users on Redhat, i wantn to change their password with something that easy to remember and the way we use. For example #passwd username hello$123 it don't allow me. It may has something to do /etc/pam.d/filesXXXX there which i don't know to change to allow root... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lamoul
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Redhat 4 host based migration

Hi, I need to migrate using Redhat 4 as host based migration,EMC Clariion to VNX. Please what are the best ways to perform online migration,with users working on the box?The file system is ext3 and the source logical voulumes are raid 1. - adding the 3rd LUN(from VNX) to the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tanislavm11
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Vormetric Data Encryption on Solaris Redhat

Does anyone have experience running the Vormetric Data Encryption on Oracle Solaris platform? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwevans
0 Replies
HASHALOT(1)						      General Commands Manual						       HASHALOT(1)

NAME
hashalot - read a passphrase and print a hash SYNOPSIS
hashalot [ -t secs ] [ -s SALT ] [ -x ] [ -n #BYTES ] [ -C itercountk ] HASHTYPE HASHTYPE [ -t secs ] [ -s SALT ] [ -x ] [ -n #BYTES ] [ -C itercountk ] DESCRIPTION
hashalot is a small tool that reads a passphrase from standard input, hashes it using the given hash type, and prints the result to stan- dard output. Supported values for HASHTYPE: ripemd160 rmd160 rmd160compat sha256 sha384 sha512 OPTIONS
The option -s SALT specifies an initialization vector to the hashing algorithm. You need this if you want to prevent identical passwords to map to identical hashes, which is a security risk. If the -x option is given then the hash will be printed as a string of hexadecimal digits. The -n option can be used to limit (or increase) the number of bytes output. The default is as appropriate for the specified hash algo- rithm: 20 bytes for RIPEMD160, 32 bytes for SHA256, etc. The default for the "rmd160compat" hash is 16 bytes, for compatibility with the old kerneli.org utilities. The -t option specifies a timeout for reading the passphrase from the terminal. The -C option specifies that the hashed password has to be encrypted itercountk thousand times using AES-256. Use for compatability with loop-AES. The options -t and -C are currently SUSE specific AUTHOR
Ben Slusky <sluskyb@paranoiacs.org> This manual page was written by Matthias Urlichs <smurf@debian.org>. 09 Feb 2004 HASHALOT(1)