Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with the awk syntax
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with the awk syntax Post 302817823 by juzz4fun on Thursday 6th of June 2013 01:57:22 PM
Old 06-06-2013
That certainly worked.
But the o/p is like 1st fields on 1st line, 2nd field on 2nd line, 3rd is on 3rd line so on..
how can I avoid this?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Awk Syntax

I have written many awk commands which go in multiple lines. I have this confusion many times. Some time they work if i dont terminate them with "\" but some time error. Some time in "if" statements between if and else if i dont use ";" it gives error but sometimes it doesnt. The below... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk syntax help

I don't get correct output when I run this command line: nmap -sP failedhost.com | grep -i failed | awk -F '{print $6}' I basically want it to return 'failedhost.com' but its just showing the output of the nmap scan. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: streetfighter2
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK syntax

Hi I am trying to understand AWK syntax so I tried this command which gives me the home directory of root awk 'BEGIN { FS = ":"} {if ($1 == "root") print $6 }' /etc/passwd I would know what are the following commands doing. The first one prints all /etc/passwd, second prints nothing. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakatana
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk syntax

Little bit confusing while using awk :confused::confused: In Sed while pattern search we can use "(double quotes) i mean $a=hello $cat file.txt |sed -n "/$a/p"this thing work fine But if i use it in awk it's not working How could i do the substitution of pattern by a variables and the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: posix
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK syntax help

i have a ksh code that needs to be written in AWK. can someone please help me here? :( if }" | grep -c "$2") -gt 0 ] ; then print - "found $2 in array ignore" else print - "did not find $2 in array ignore" fi ignore=4ty56r ignore=er45ty . . . ignore=frhtg2 (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: usustarr
27 Replies

6. AIX

Help with syntax using AWK

I have a file which is comma separated and has quotes. I can use this command and awk -F"," '{ if ($4=="01" print $0 }' test.txt But this doesn't fetch me the data.since it has quotes. If the data has no quotes,the above command works fine. In Unix you can skip quote \" but this doesn't work.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesnar
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk syntax

Hi I have a bash file which will split a big file to many small files. But I got a syntax error.H="$(head -1 CCC.tped)" awk 'print $0 > $1 ".tped"' CCC.tped for f in $(ls *.tped); do echo "$H\n" "$(cat $f)" >$f; done And -bash-4.1$ bash split awk: print $0 > $1".tped" awk: ^ syntax error... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zhshqzyc
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Function syntax

Hi, I would like to know what is the correct syntax to perform a function in awk. Although I have seen several examples, not get it to work, this is what I'm trying: #!/bin/bash awk function multi (number) { return number * 3 } print multi (4)Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Godie
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax Problem with awk

Hello, I have perl script,which take some part of data in the file. the below command works fine in normal cmd prompt. `awk '/CDI/ && // && !/Result for/ {print $3 $5 > "final.txt"}' datalist.txt`; `nawk -F"" '{print $2}' finalcdi.txt`; But not working. Please use code tags, thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rasingraj
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: syntax error

awk -F, ' NR>1 { BEGIN{ chr=$2 } END{ for (k in chr) {print k} } } ' $gene_file I've a really simple code. I want to store gene name and it's chromosome and in the end print them. I'm skipping line one as it contains headers. But I don't know why I get error as: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: genome
2 Replies
SWISS::GNs(3pm) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SWISS::GNs(3pm)

Name
       SWISS::GNs.pm

Description
       SWISS::GNs represents the GN lines within an SWISS-PROT + TrEMBL entry as specified in the user manual
	http://www.expasy.org/sprot/userman.html . The GNs object is a container object which holds a list of SWISS::GeneGroup objects.

Inherits from
       SWISS::ListBase.pm

Attributes
       "list"
	     Each list element is a SWISS::GeneGroup object.

"and" (deprecated, for old format only)
	     Delimiter used between genes. Defaults to " AND ".

"or" (deprecated, for old format only)
	     Delimiter used between gene names. Defaults to " OR ".

Methods
   Standard methods
       new
       fromText
       toText

Reading/Writing methods
       text [($newText)]
	   Sets the text of the GN line to the parameter if it is present, and returns the (unwrapped) text of the line.  Also sets 'and' and 'or'
	   delimiters to the first occurrences of the words "OR" and "AND" in the line, conserving the case.

lowercase (deprecated, for old format only)
	   Sets the GNs::and and GNs::or delimiters to their lower case values.

uppercase (deprecated, for old format only)
	   Sets the GNs::and and GNs::or delimiters to their upper case values.

getFirst()
	   Returns first gene name in gene line

getTags($target)
	   Returns evidence tags associated with $target

$target is a string

isPresent($target)
	   Returns 1 if $target is present in the GN line

$target is a string

needsReCasing($target)
	   If $target is present in the GN line, but wrongly cased, method returns the matching name in its current case

$target is a string

replace($newName, $target, $evidenceTag)
	   Replaces the first GN object in the GN line whose text attribute is $target with a new GN object whose text attribute is set to
	   $newName and whose evidenceTags attribute is is set using values set by splitting $evidenceTag on /, / (as name is not being changed,
	   programs should keep old tag and add new tag).  Does nothing if $target is not found.

delete($target)
	   Removes synonym/single-member gene group matching $target. Note that if a "Name" is deleted, the first "Synonym" will be promoted to
	   "Name"

addAsNewSynonym($newName, $target, $evidenceTag, $location)
	   Adds a new GN object (with text attribute set to new $newName, and evidenceTags attribute set to ($evidenceTag)), as a synonym to the
	   first gene group in which $target is a gene name.  Does nothing if $target is not found.  Will not add a duplicate gene name.
	   $location determines where in gene group new object is added: if $location == 1, 2, 3, ..., new object added in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, ...
	   position; if $location == 0, new object added before $target; if $location == -1, new object added after $target (default); if
	   $location == -2, new object added at end of gene group.  Note that if the new synonym is inserted in the first postion, it will become
	   the "Name" and the previous "Name" will be downgraded to first "Synonym"

addAsNewGeneGroup($newName, $target, $evidenceTag, $location)
	   Adds a new GeneGroup object, comprising 1 GN object (with text attribute set to new $newName, and evidenceTags attribute set to
	   ($evidenceTag)). Will not add a duplicate gene name.  $location and $target determine where in GNs line new group is added: if
	   $location == 1, 2, 3, ..., new object added in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, ... position; if $location == 0, new object added before $target; if
	   $location == -1, new object added after $target (default); if $location == -2, new object added at end of GNs line.	Does nothing if
	   $target is not found, and $location == 0 or -1; otherwise $target does not need to be set.

replaceGeneGroup($newGeneGroup, $target)
	   Replaces the first gene group containing $target with $newGeneGroup.  Creating the $newGeneGroup correctly is the user's responsibility

getGeneGroup($target)
	   Returns the first gene group that contains $target

setToOr()
	   Retruns a new GNs object, but with all GNs objects in a single gene group.  Needed when adding 'C' to 'A and B', when the relationship
	   of 'C' to 'A' and 'B' is unknown: the universal use of ' or ' is the default delimeter for TrEMBL entries

TRANSITION
The format of the GN line will change in 2004 from: GN (CYSA1 OR CYSA OR RV3117 OR MT3199 OR MTCY164.27) AND (CYSA2 OR GN RV0815C OR MT0837 OR MTV043.07C). to: GN Name=CysA1; Synonyms=CysA; OrderedLocusNames=Rv3117, MT3199; GN ORFNames=MtCY164.27; GN and GN Name=CysA2; OrderedLocusNames=Rv0815c, MT0837; ORFNames=MTV043.07c; This module supports both formats. To convert an entry from the old to the new format, do: $entry->GNs->is_old_format(0); perl v5.10.1 2006-01-26 SWISS::GNs(3pm)