Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting For loop inside awk to read and print contents of files Post 302817799 by jaldo0805 on Thursday 6th of June 2013 01:08:07 PM
Old 06-06-2013
For loop inside awk to read and print contents of files

Hello,
I have a set of files Xfile0001 - Xfile0021, and the content of this files (one at a time) needs to be printed between some line (lines start with word "Generated") that I am extracting from another file called file7.txt and all the output goes into output.txt. First I tried creating a for loop over the Xfiles, and inside the loop the awk code, but didn't work, I understand I have to use the for loop inside the awk command, but after trying many times, I am not getting the output I am looking for.
So far this is one of the several versions I have:
Code:
awk '/Generated/ {print;getline; for (i in Xfile????); print "$i"; next}' file7.txt > output.txt

So far this gives me an error, now I realized the question mark is not properly understood as 'interchangeable' character within awk, and also the print "$i" prints literally $i and not the content of the corresponding Xfile. I have recently started using more unix commands to try to do more efficiently my work, and its been very useful (whenever I get through this kind of things). I will really appreciate if someone can help me here.
By the way, the output I expect to have on output.txt should look like this:
Code:
<first line saying "Generated ....." from file7.txt>
<content of Xfile0001>
<second line saying "Generated ..." from file7.txt>
<content of Xfile0002>

Thank you very much,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read inside a while loop

Hi all, In a while loop, like below... while read line do read choice case $choice in 1) echo "xxx" esac done < file why I can't run the read choice???? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dta4316
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

input inside while read loop

Hi all Does anyone have a script that will allow me to stop inside a while read loop. I want to pause the loop until a enter is pressed. e.g. While read line do echo something if LINECOUNT > 40 then read ENTER?"PRESS ENTER TO CONT..." ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhansrod
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read command (input) inside the while loop

Hi, 'read' command is not working inside the while loop, How can I solve this? Rgds, Sharif. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharif
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print filename inside loop

Im want to print filename inside loop .. the code im using :- Filename_1=abc_20090623_2.csv.lk Filename_2=def_20090623_2.csv.lk i want to extract filename till .csv eg Filename_1=abc_20090623_2 Filename_2=def_20090623_2 How can i do this inside the for loop ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_t_1601
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename contents inside multiple files

Hi, I have 100 files in a directory. Each file have the following format >CtbRe01234 fdfjdhfkdfkd >CtL2B0456 gjfgfkgjfkgjfk >CmdrE05768 fghdjskksllfkLike this I have many files in the directory. What I want is; rename the header content in each file such that the above file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read contents of the file and print

AT ---------- 0 Elapsed: 00:00:00.02 SO ---------- 0 Elapsed: 00:00:00.01 SE ---------- 0 Elapsed: 00:00:00.01 CR ---------- (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy1028
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to read the contents of a file and print

Hi, Need help in writing a script to read the contents of this file test Test 00a 00b 00c 00d 00e 00f where it need to read each line to give a display such as form meta from dev 00a , config=Striped; add dev 00b:00f to meta 00a Can any one help me in writing this script (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveen1516
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update file record inside read loop

Hi, I am reading file records inside a while loop, and want to update the record when certain condition is met. How can I update a file while being read? I want to avoid using temporary files, copy, rename, ... while IFS=',' read -r f1 f2 do function(f1,f2) if then <add... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ysrini
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use while loop to read file and use ${file} for both filename input into awk and as string to print

I have files named with different prefixes. From each I want to extract the first line containing a specific string, and then print that line along with the prefix. I've tried to do this with a while loop, but instead of printing the prefix I print the first line of the file twice. Files:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to read user input inside a loop

Hi, This query is a part of a much more lengthy script. I wish to look for all the files in a folder named "data" which in this case has two files i.e. plan.war and agent.properties. For all the files found under data I wish to ask the user as to where they wish copy the files to. Below,... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
14 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)