Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat How to display Chinese and Japanese Characters on Rhel 6? Post 302816763 by joeyg on Tuesday 4th of June 2013 01:52:11 PM
Old 06-04-2013
Bumping up posts or double posting is not permitted in these forums.

Please read the rules, which you agreed to when you registered, if you have not already done so.

You may receive an infraction for this. If so, don't worry, just try to follow the rules more carefully. The infraction will expire in the near future

Thank You.

The UNIX and Linux Forums.
This User Gave Thanks to joeyg For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Chinese characters on Sol 2.7

Hi there, I need to get a Chinese disclaimer attached to an email on a Solaris 2.7 box. The disclaimer we use is in English and stored as a text file although I've been asked to see if we can add the Chinsese one? Is it simply just a matter of adding the Chinese locale to the OS or is there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hayez
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Chinese characters in Vi editor

Dear All, I have excel files containing Chinese characters. I have a requirement to display the contents of both the English and the Chinese files in the Unix box using the vi editor. But I when I try to open the Chinese files, the characters are junk. Can one of you help me in getting rid of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisanto_2000
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Email a File from UNIX which has Japanese characters in it

Hi, I'm trying to email from UNIX, a file which has Japanese characters in it (i,e. in the contents -- not the filename). The file gets emailed, but the Japanese characters do not show up properly when I open the file on Windows in my Outlook mailbox. I searched a lot of forums but still... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jainkirti
4 Replies

4. Programming

Netbeans ide can't display chinese character in linux

When i write the source code in netbeans environment,if the source code,there are chinese characters,chinese characters will be displayed as box,how to solve this problem?please (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fang_xiaoan
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detect lines beginning with double-byte characters (Japanese) and delete

Greetings, I want to use a script (preferably awk) which determines if the first character in a line is double-byte (as in Japanese or Chinese) and deletes it. For example: (in the above quote, I see Japanese on my screen for two lines - with 2 characters in the first and 3 characters in the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ubbeauty
8 Replies

6. Solaris

Chinese / Global characters problem

Hello, I have large xml files with chinese characters on a windows box and they need to be FTP'd to UNIX box. When I ftp the file, the chinese text converts to junk characters. I tried changing my setting on putty to UTF-8, but still cannot view the correct text. Is there something I need to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tokool420
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines with non-chinese characters from xml file

Hi there, I'm looking for a way to remove all lines that don't contain chinese characters from an xml file. Example: http://pastebin.com/8KzSbCKe The result should be like this: http://pastebin.com/ZywXsNhx Only lines that don't contain chinese characters should be deleted. If theres a mix of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: g4rb4g3
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

One simple question: Does RHEL4 support CJK (Chinese, Japanese and Korean)?

Hi, One simple question: Does RHEL4 support CJK (Chinese, Japanese and Korean)? If the answer is yes, then how to implement it? Thank you in advance! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
0 Replies

9. SuSE

Display Chinese and Japanese characters on my SLES console.

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to display Chinese and Japanese Characters on my SLES 11 Console. Is there any way that I could display those characters on my console? Thank you. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjeedu2247
3 Replies
eucTW(5)							File Formats Manual							  eucTW(5)

NAME
eucTW - A character encoding system (codeset) for Traditional Chinese DESCRIPTION
The Taiwanese EUC (Extended UNIX Code), or eucTW, codeset consists of the following character sets: ASCII CNS 11643 (Plane 1 to Plane 16) Taiwanese EUC uses a combination of single-byte data and 2-byte data to represent ASCII characters, symbols, and ideographic characters. Because too many character planes were included, Taiwanese EUC uses different leading codes to designate different character planes. ASCII characters are represented in the form of single byte 7-bit data in Taiwanese EUC; that is, the most significant bit (MSB) of the byte that represents an ASCII character is always set off. For more information, refer to ascii(5). Although the standard Taiwanese EUC codeset includes all characters defined by the CNS 11643-1992 standard, the operating system's eucTW implementation currently supports the following: Characters defined in the first and second planes of CNS 11643 The EDPC Recommended Char- acter Set (refer to dechanyu(5) for more information) CNS 11643-1986 and DTSCS characters that have been remapped into the third and fourth character planes by the CNS 11643-1992 standard Characters that were added to CNS 11643-1986 by the CNS 11643-1992 standard are not supported. The characters that are defined in plane 1 and plane 2 of CNS 11643-1992 and that are the same as those defined in CNS 11643-1986 are as follows: --------------------------------------------------------------------- Character Plane Character Type Number of Characters --------------------------------------------------------------------- 1 Special characters 651 Control characters 33 Frequently-used characters 5401 2 Less frequently-used char- 7650 acters --------------------------------------------------------------------- The characters defined in plane 3 and plane 4 of CNS 11643-1992 are as follows: --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Character Plane Character Type Number of Characters --------------------------------------------------------------------------- 3 Rarely-used characters (EDPC Part I) 6148 4 Used for residency system, ISO 2nd edi- 7298 tion DIS 10646 Han characters, 171 EDPC Part II Characters --------------------------------------------------------------------------- The characters that have been remapped into the third and fourth character planes of CNS 11643-1992 as specified by the EDPC are as fol- lows: --------------------------------------------------------- EDPC Characters Character Plane Number of Characters --------------------------------------------------------- Part I Plane 3 6148 Part II Plane 4 171 --------------------------------------------------------- Taiwanese EUC Encoding Except for characters in the first plane of CNS 11643-1986, Taiwanese EUC makes use of a leading code (the 8-bit Single-Shift 2 control character (SS2) and an additional byte) to designate characters to a character plane. The position of a character on a plane is specified by two bytes. The first byte determines the character's row number and the second byte determines the character's column number. The MSB of both bytes is set on. The following table shows the encoding of Taiwanese EUC characters: ------------------------------------------------------- CNS 11643-1986 Code Plane Leading Code Code Range ------------------------------------------------------- 1 [nil] A1A1 - FEFE 2 SS2 A2 A1A1 - FEFE 3 SS2 A3 A1A1 - FEFE 4 SS2 A4 A1A1 - FEFE 5 SS2 A5 A1A1 - FEFE 6 SS2 A6 A1A1 - FEFE 7 SS2 A7 A1A1 - FEFE 8 SS2 A8 A1A1 - FEFE 9 SS2 A9 A1A1 - FEFE 10 SS2 AA A1A1 - FEFE 11 SS2 AB A1A1 - FEFE 12 SS2 AC A1A1 - FEFE 13 SS2 AD A1A1 - FEFE 14 SS2 AE A1A1 - FEFE 15 SS2 AF A1A1 - FEFE 16 SS2 B0 A1A1 - FEFE ------------------------------------------------------- Codeset Conversion The following codeset converter pairs are available for converting Traditional Chinese characters between eucTW and other encoding formats. Refer to iconv_intro(5) for an introduction to codeset conversion. For more information about the other codeset for which eucTW is the input or output, see the reference page specified in the list item. big5_eucTW, eucTW_big5 Converting from and to the Big-5 codeset: big5(5). Note that Big-5 encoding is equivalent to the Microsoft code-page format used on PCs for Traditional Chinese. You can therefore use this set of converters to convert Traditional Chinese text between the eucTW and PC code-page formats. For information about how the operating system supports PC code pages, see code_page(5). dechanyu_eucTW, eucTW_dechanyu Converting from and to the DEC Hanyu codeset: dechanyu(5). dechanzi_eucTW, eucTW_dechanzi Converting from and to the DEC Hanzi codeset: dechanzi(5). sbig5_eucTW, eucTW_sbig5 Converting from and to the Shift Big-5 codeset: sbig5(5). telecode_eucTW, eucTW_telecode Converting from and to the Telecode codeset: telecode(5). UCS-2_eucTW, eucTW_UCS-2 Converting from and to UCS-2 format: Unicode(5). UCS-4_eucTW, eucTW_UCS-4 Converting from and to UCS-4 format: Unicode(5). UTF-8_eucTW, eucTW_UTF-8 Converting from and to UTF--8 format: Unicode(5). Fonts for Taiwanese EUC For both display devices and printers, the operating system supports Taiwanese EUC through internal conversion to DEC Hanyu code and use of DEC Hanyu fonts (see dechanyu(5)). For general information on printing non-English text, refer to i18n_printing(5). SEE ALSO
Commands: locale(1) Others: ascii(5), big5(5), Chinese(5), code_page(5), dechanzi(5), GBK(5), iconv_intro(5), i18n_intro(5), i18n_printing(5), l10n_intro(5), sbig5(5), telecode(5), Unicode(5) eucTW(5)