Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Solved] Howto remove extra space in the file Post 302816719 by Yoda on Tuesday 4th of June 2013 12:37:02 PM
Old 06-04-2013
Using awk
Code:
awk '{$1=$1}1' file

These 3 Users Gave Thanks to Yoda For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove extra lines in the file

Hi, I have some files, with some extra lines in weird characters on the top and bottom of the. I want to get rid of those line. Is there a way I can do that? example of the input file. I want to get rid of those lines in bold  ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: CamTu
8 Replies

2. HP-UX

[Solved] Howto change subdirectory easily using cd

Hi all, how to change the path easily from /u01/oracle/oradata/newdb/tab >cd olddb /u01/oracle/oradata/olddb/tab > or /u01/oracle/oradata/newdb/tab >cd u05 /u05/oracle/oradata/newdb/tab > I am lazy for typing the abs. path again... As I know there is some "tips" in doing this. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: freddy1228
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

m4 adds extra space at top of file.

I have used m4 in the past to generate source code where aesthetics and space were of no consequence . Now I am using it to generate script and program templates . So here is an excerpt from my m4 file for producing a generic bash script: dnl `$Id$' define(`START_SCRIPT',`#!/bin/bash... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bubnoff
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to remove extra commas from CSV outp file

Name,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Domain,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Contact,Phone,Email,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Location -----------------------,------------------------------------------------,-------,-----,---------------------------------,------------------------------------ ----... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreenath1037
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove extra double quotes from string in a delimited file??

Hi Unix Gurus.. I am new to Unix. Please help me. The file I am getting is as follows: Input File "2011-07-06 03:53:23","0","I","NOT SET ",,,,"123985","SAW CUT CONCRETE SLAB 20"THICK",,"98.57","","EACH","N" "2011-07-06 03:53:23","0","I","NOT SET ",,,,"204312","ARMAFLEX-1 3/8 X... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BICC
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

howto remove meta info about MP4 or FLV file downloaded off Youtube?

Hi I tried a tool called mediainfo > brew info media-info media-info 0.7.51 http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net Depends on: pkg-config /usr/local/Cellar/media-info/0.7.51 (3 files, 14M) http://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/commits/master/Library/Formula/media-info.rb Got details from a test... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] remove file extension

Hi, I have some files with some extension e.g. abc.xml.REMOVE,xyz.xml,efg.xml.REMOVE . I have to remove the .REMOVE extension. I can display it using the below script but cannot rename it. ls -l|sed 's/\.REMOVE//' How can I rename this? Thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: babom
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Help to remove a line from a file

Hi, I just upgraded one my server to latest version RHEL, I have many users who will do SSH from another server. I wanted to update all of the users home directory and remove the security key. For example. /home/XYZ/.ssh/known_hosts and remove this hostsname. Please see below and advise.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

9. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

To remove the extra spaces at the end of each line in a file

I have a file of about 10k records and eace line is having an extra space of 5 byte at the end.. Iwant to remove the extra spaces at the end of each line.. Can someone please help me out.. I tried using sed command and its not working... can someone please help me out. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rammohan
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extra Space in output - remove

Hi All I am trying to perform the below operation -count=`cat abc.txt | wc -l` echo$count 5 Head=Start"$DATE"00000"$count"File echo $HEAD START15020300000 5File There is a space coming before 5 which is not needed . How to ignore that . (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: honey26
4 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)