Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sorting files ending in numbers with "sort" Post 302816649 by drl on Tuesday 4th of June 2013 11:16:42 AM
Old 06-04-2013
Hi.

The non-standard msort utility can be used:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env bash

# @(#) s1	Demonstrate msort hybrid comparison.

pe() { for _i;do printf "%s" "$_i";done; printf "\n"; }
pl() { pe;pe "-----" ;pe "$*"; }
db() { ( printf " db, ";for _i;do printf "%s" "$_i";done;printf "\n" ) >&2 ; }
db() { : ; }
C=$HOME/bin/context && [ -f $C ] && $C msort

# See: http://freecode.com/projects/msort
# Special comparison mode "hybrid".
# Hybrid comparison is like lexicographic comparison except for
# the fact that strings of digits are treated as numbers. 

FILE=${1-data1}

pl " Results of msort hybrid comparison:"
msort -j -q -l -n 1 -c hybrid $FILE

exit 0

producing:
Code:
% ./s1

Environment: LC_ALL = C, LANG = C
(Versions displayed with local utility "version")
OS, ker|rel, machine: Linux, 2.6.26-2-amd64, x86_64
Distribution        : Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.8 (lenny) 
bash GNU bash 3.2.39
msort 8.44

-----
 Results of msort hybrid comparison:
includes1
includes2
includes3
includes4
includes5
includes6
includes7
includes8
includes9
includes10
includes11
includes12

Best wishes ... cheers, drl
This User Gave Thanks to drl For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

get two strings ending with "." and starting with "."

Hi all, In unix shell, I want to get two strings ending with "." and starting with "." from a string "chan.txt" For example, a string "chan.txt". The first string is "chan" The second string is "txt" Yours Wilson (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wilsonchan1000
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting problem "sort -k 16,29 sample.txt > output.txt"

Hi all, Iam trying to sort the contents of the file based on the position of the file. Example: $cat sample.txt 0101020060731 ## Header record 1c1 Berger Awc ANP20070201301 4000.50 1c2 Bose W G ANP20070201609 6000.70 1c2 Andy CK ANP20070201230 28000.00... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganapati
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines ending in "_;" using sed

I could really use some help with this issue. I'm having a lot of trouble getting my sed command to delete only the lines from my file that end with _; I'm also supposed to carry the leading 'c' down to the next line. The commands I've tried either delete everything or nothing at all. Any help... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: turbulence
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set command ending with a "." (dot)

Hi I have a "set" command which ends with a "." (dot), for example: set `grep "\<${pnum}\>" /tstmp/data.txt |sed 's/#//'` . Can somebody help me to understand the purpose of this "set" and "." combination? The problem is that this command does not produce the same result when run on AIX... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of "b" modifier in "sort" command

I need to sort the following file by the rhdiskpower devices in the last column: Total_MB Free_MB OS_MB Name Failgroup Library Label UDID Product Redund Path 1024 851 1024 OCRVOT1_0000 OCRVOT1_0000 System UNKNOWN ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wjssj
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it Possible to sort a list of hexadecimal numbers using "sort" command?

Hello Everybody :) !!!. i have question in mind, is it possible to sort a list of hexadecimal numbers using "sort" command? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort, columns, no result! can I print files of "planes"?

hi, please can I ask you for some help? I have data from 3D situation, x y z value I'd like to use gnuplot to generate maps of the value in the planes z=0 to z=1 for example, my file looks like -0,012 0,0060 0,0 0,13972813076023477 -0,012 0,0064319163 4,2894483E-4 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kocour
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get last word from a line ending with "/" in Unix

Hello All, I have a scenario to read a file containing text like this:(say file name is Dummy.txt) /home/abc/test1/ | file1 /home/abc/test2/ | file2 I used a variable to store the content from file like this (say for line1): File=`head -1 Dummy.txt | cut -f1 -d "|"` Dir=`head -1 Dummy.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Quesemail
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find out if multiple files have lines ending with"r"

I am trying to find out which files in a group of files have lines ending in r. What I have is this: cat /tmp/*RECORDS| if grep r$>/dev/null; then echo "yes";else echo"no";fi Records is more than one file. There are the following files TEST-RECORDS /volume/testing /volume/programs ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extract delta records using with "comm" and "sort" commands combination

Hi All, I have 2 pipe delimited files viz., file_old and file_new. I'm trying to compare these 2 files, and extract all the different rows between them into a new_file. comm -3 < sort file_old < sort file_new > new_file I am getting the below error: -ksh: sort: cannot open But if I do... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: njny
7 Replies
lsort(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  lsort(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
lsort - Sort the elements of a list SYNOPSIS
lsort ?options? list _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command sorts the elements of list, returning a new list in sorted order. The implementation of the lsort command uses the merge-sort algorithm which is a stable sort that has O(n log n) performance characteristics. By default ASCII sorting is used with the result returned in increasing order. However, any of the following options may be specified before list to control the sorting process (unique abbreviations are accepted): -ascii Use string comparison with ASCII collation order. This is the default. -dictionary Use dictionary-style comparison. This is the same as -ascii except (a) case is ignored except as a tie-breaker and (b) if two strings contain embedded numbers, the numbers compare as integers, not characters. For example, in -dictionary mode, bigBoy sorts between bigbang and bigboy, and x10y sorts between x9y and x11y. -integer Convert list elements to integers and use integer comparison. -real Convert list elements to floating-point values and use floating comparison. -command command Use command as a comparison command. To compare two elements, evaluate a Tcl script consisting of command with the two elements appended as additional arguments. The script should return an integer less than, equal to, or greater than zero if the first element is to be considered less than, equal to, or greater than the second, respectively. -increasing Sort the list in increasing order (``smallest'' items first). This is the default. -decreasing Sort the list in decreasing order (``largest'' items first). -index index If this option is specified, each of the elements of list must itself be a proper Tcl sublist. Instead of sorting based on whole sublists, lsort will extract the index'th element from each sublist and sort based on the given element. The keyword end is allowed for the index to sort on the last sublist element, and end-index sorts on a sublist element | offset from the end. For example, lsort -integer -index 1 {{First 24} {Second 18} {Third 30}} returns {Second 18} {First 24} {Third 30}, and | lsort -index end-1 {{a 1 e i} {b 2 3 f g} {c 4 5 6 d h}} | returns {c 4 5 6 d h} {a 1 e i} {b 2 3 f g}. This option is much more efficient than using -command to achieve the same effect. -unique If this option is specified, then only the last set of duplicate elements found in the list will be retained. Note that duplicates are determined relative to the comparison used in the sort. Thus if -index 0 is used, {1 a} and {1 b} would be considered duplicates and only the second element, {1 b}, would be retained. NOTES
The options to lsort only control what sort of comparison is used, and do not necessarily constrain what the values themselves actually are. This distinction is only noticeable when the list to be sorted has fewer than two elements. The lsort command is reentrant, meaning it is safe to use as part of the implementation of a command used in the -command option. EXAMPLES
Sorting a list using ASCII sorting: % lsort {a10 B2 b1 a1 a2} B2 a1 a10 a2 b1 Sorting a list using Dictionary sorting: % lsort -dictionary {a10 B2 b1 a1 a2} a1 a2 a10 b1 B2 Sorting lists of integers: % lsort -integer {5 3 1 2 11 4} 1 2 3 4 5 11 % lsort -integer {1 2 0x5 7 0 4 -1} -1 0 1 2 4 0x5 7 Sorting lists of floating-point numbers: % lsort -real {5 3 1 2 11 4} 1 2 3 4 5 11 % lsort -real {.5 0.07e1 0.4 6e-1} 0.4 .5 6e-1 0.07e1 Sorting using indices: % # Note the space character before the c % lsort {{a 5} { c 3} {b 4} {e 1} {d 2}} { c 3} {a 5} {b 4} {d 2} {e 1} % lsort -index 0 {{a 5} { c 3} {b 4} {e 1} {d 2}} {a 5} {b 4} { c 3} {d 2} {e 1} % lsort -index 1 {{a 5} { c 3} {b 4} {e 1} {d 2}} {e 1} {d 2} { c 3} {b 4} {a 5} Stripping duplicate values using sorting: % lsort -unique {a b c a b c a b c} a b c More complex sorting using a comparison function: % proc compare {a b} { set a0 [lindex $a 0] set b0 [lindex $b 0] if {$a0 < $b0} { return -1 } elseif {$a0 > $b0} { return 1 } return [string compare [lindex $a 1] [lindex $b 1]] } % lsort -command compare {{3 apple} {0x2 carrot} {1 dingo} {2 banana}} {1 dingo} {2 banana} {0x2 carrot} {3 apple} SEE ALSO
lappend(n), lindex(n), linsert(n), list(n), llength(n), lrange(n), lreplace(n), lsearch(n) KEYWORDS
element, list, order, sort Tcl 8.3 lsort(n)