Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers CPU with long hours in top, is this bad? Post 302816507 by rbatte1 on Tuesday 4th of June 2013 05:26:40 AM
Old 06-04-2013
With this number of SIDs in play I would consider the memory load that they will create. Perhaps the total memory defined for each exceeds real memory and you are forcing paging. This could cause an load on the server with processes timing out as all the SIDs fight for the IO to get their memory pages back in.

I've been off Solaris for a while so I can't quite remember the commands. swap -l perhaps? Another thing to investigate with is vmstat

If you set it running on one screen with vmstat 5 and make sure that the display is wide enough to display it all (statistics wrapped wrong a line are very hard to see a trend) and look at the Page section (check in the man page which it is) then on a second screen or using the OEM, fire in the request and watch what happens.

If this does cause paging, then you might be in a struggle to lower the memory definitions of each SID, but obviously keeping them running satisfactorily. You may be after purchasing memory at the end of this, if paging is the problem. Sorry.

I hope that this gives you a pointer. I would welcome any other suggestions though.

Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual CPU's and 'top'

Hi have just built a new sunfire 280r with solaris 9 and i Have 2 questions 1) where can i view some information that will tell me for definate that the 2*900 mhz processors are both being used, i tried using "top" but it doesnt tell me for sure that both processors are churning away together ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

N00b question on CPU % in top

I have a process in my TOP output that is consistantly at 97% usage. I have 16 CPUs on my box. So is the 97% the cumalative usage of all the CPUs or just one? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kskywr
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

top %CPU.

I am using the Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon), 2.4.21-4.EL. When I see the output of the command 'top'. I am getting the following ************************************************************************************ 2 processes: 227 sleeping, 5 running, 0 zombie, 0 stopped... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveen_b744
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get persistant cpu utilization values per process per cpu in linux (! top,ps)

hi, i want to know cpu utilizatiion per process per cpu..for single processor also if multicore in linux ..to use these values in shell script to kill processes exceeding cpu utilization.ps (pcpu) command does not give exact values..top does not give persistant values..psstat,vmstat..does njot... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajd
3 Replies

5. AIX

Need a list of top 10 CPU using processes (also top 10 memory hogs, separately)

Okay, I am trying to come up with a multi-platform script to report top ten CPU and memory hog processes, which will be run by our enterprise monitoring application as an auto-action item when the CPU and Memory utilization gets reported as higher than a certain threshold I use top on other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thenomad
5 Replies

6. Solaris

top is showing 0% cpu Idle

What should we do if we show a 0% cpu idl on top? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
5 Replies

7. HP-UX

Bad performance but Low CPU loading?

There might be some problem with my server, because every morning at 7, it's performance become bad with no DB extra deadlock. But I just couldn't figure it out. Please give me some advise, thanks a lot... According to the CPU performace chart, Daily CPU loading Maximum: 42 %, Average:36%. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: GreenShery
8 Replies

8. Solaris

Long running thread limited to 1.5% cpu

I have some long running threads on a T5220 / Solaris 10 box and it seems they never get more then 1.5% of cpu per thread. Is there a way to give a thread more cpu on the T5220's? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcthreader
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Help me Solaris 10&11 cpu load average states for 24 hours report

need to capture the following data on an hourly basis without cronjob scheduling in Solaris 5.10/5.11:- 1. load averages 2. Total no. of processes. 3. CPU state 4. Memory 5. Top 3 process details. any other third-party tool is available? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: thoranam
7 Replies

10. Red Hat

Understanding cpu consumption with TOP

Hi please see attached picture of the TOP command. the "java" process seem to consume 700% of cpu is that mean that he uses 100% of every 7 cpu cores? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guy3145
2 Replies
Apache::Session::Oracle(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			      Apache::Session::Oracle(3pm)

NAME
Apache::Session::Oracle - An implementation of Apache::Session SYNOPSIS
use Apache::Session::Oracle; #if you want Apache::Session to open new DB handles: tie %hash, 'Apache::Session::Oracle', $id, { DataSource => 'dbi:Oracle:sessions', UserName => $db_user, Password => $db_pass, Commit => 1 }; #or, if your handles are already opened: tie %hash, 'Apache::Session::Oracle', $id, { Handle => $dbh, Commit => 1 }; DESCRIPTION
This module is an implementation of Apache::Session. It uses the Oracle backing store and no locking. See the example, and the documentation for Apache::Session::Store::Oracle for more details. USAGE
The special Apache::Session argument for this module is Commit. You MUST provide the Commit argument, which instructs this module to either commit the transaction when it is finished, or to simply do nothing. This feature is provided so that this module will not have adverse interactions with your local transaction policy, nor your local database handle caching policy. The argument is mandatory in order to make you think about this problem. This module also respects the LongReadLen argument, which specifies the maximum size of the session object. If not specified, the default maximum is 8 KB. AUTHOR
This module was written by Jeffrey William Baker <jwbaker@acm.org>. SEE ALSO
Apache::Session::File, Apache::Session::Flex, Apache::Session::DB_File, Apache::Session::Postgres, Apache::Session perl v5.10.1 2010-10-18 Apache::Session::Oracle(3pm)