Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How can I get certain records from this file format? Post 302816239 by juzz4fun on Monday 3rd of June 2013 02:25:10 PM
Old 06-03-2013
^M usually appears when we transfer files using FTP... I usually select ascii mode to do this. Or manually remove all ^M characters using (while being in vi)

:%s/^M//g

---------- Post updated at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:17 PM ----------

Is it only "^M" that you want to take care of or "0^M"?

I guess DOS to Unix conversion didn't happen properly.
Can you try with dos2unix tool?

dos2unix <input>

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count No of Records in File without counting Header and Trailer Records

I have a flat file and need to count no of records in the file less the header and the trailer record. I would appreciate any and all asistance Thanks Hadi Lalani (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guiguy
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To convert multi format file to a readable ascii format

Hi I have a file which has ascii , binary, binary decimal coded,decimal & hexadecimal data with lot of special characters (like öƒ.ƒ.„İİ¡Š·œƒ.„İİ¡Š· ) in it. I want to standardize the file into ASCII format & later use that as source . Can any one suggest a way a logic to convert such... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaur.deepti
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use records from one file to delete records in another file

file_in_1: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 file_in_2: 9 10 11 12 21 22 23 24 1 2 3 4 17 18 19 20 file_out: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenneth.mcbride
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format & re-arrange the records

Data on my input file : Ac1n1s1c2n2s2XPd1r1e1t1d2r2e2t2d3r3e3t3d4r4e4t4RT Bh1k1p1h2k2p2NTq1y1f1m1q2y2f2m2q3y3f3m3q4y4f4m4ZN and i want the output to be: Ac1n1s1XPd1r1e1t1RT Ac1n1s1XPd2r2e2t2RT Ac1n1s1XPd3r3e3t3RT Ac1n1s1XPd4r4e4t4RT Ac2n2s2XPd1r1e1t1RT Ac2n2s2XPd2r2e2t2RT... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rlmadhav
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep specific records from a file of records that are separated by an empty line

Hi everyone. I am a newbie to Linux stuff. I have this kind of problem which couldn't solve alone. I have a text file with records separated by empty lines like this: ID: 20 Name: X Age: 19 ID: 21 Name: Z ID: 22 Email: xxx@yahoo.com Name: Y Age: 19 I want to grep records that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atrisa
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting windows format file to unix format using script

Hi, I am having couple of files which i used to copy from windows to Linux, so now in case of text files (CTRL^M) appears at end of line. I know i can convert this windows format file to unix format file by running dos2unix. My requirement here is that i want to do it automatically using a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting duplicate records from file 1 if records from file 2 match

I have 2 files "File 1" is delimited by ";" and "File 2" is delimited by "|". File 1 below (3 record shown): Doc1;03/01/2012;New York;6 Main Street;Mr. Smith 1;Mr. Jones Doc2;03/01/2012;Syracuse;876 Broadway;John Davis;Barbara Lull Doc3;03/01/2012;Buffalo;779 Old Windy Road;Charles... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vestport
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing records in different format

Hi all, I have a input file say record.txt hostname IP_address Port_No Version A 10.10.10.1 80 6.02 B 10.10.10.2 81 6.03 C 10.10.10.3 82 6.04 row 1 has 4 field headings : hostname, IP_address, Port_No and Version. and from 2nd row onwards the actual records start. now i need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PranavEcstasy
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple records need to convert UNIXtime to human readable datatime and all output in one format

Hello Experts, Below is the record i have: sample data attached I want this record of each row to be in single line and there are multiple rowise unixtime mentioned e.g 11996327 , This needs to be converted to Human readdable data and time from multiple rows Can you help me , it will be... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishK
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separate records of a file on 2 types of records

Hi I am new to shell programming in unix Please if I can provide help. I have a file structure of a header record and "N" detail records. The header record will be the total number of detail records I need to split the file in 2: One for the header Another for all detail records Could... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamcogar
1 Replies
NAMED-CHECKZONE(8)						       BIND9							NAMED-CHECKZONE(8)

NAME
named-checkzone, named-compilezone - zone file validity checking or converting tool SYNOPSIS
named-checkzone [-d] [-h] [-j] [-q] [-v] [-c class] [-f format] [-F format] [-i mode] [-k mode] [-m mode] [-M mode] [-n mode] [-r mode] [-s style] [-S mode] [-t directory] [-w directory] [-D] [-W mode] {zonename} {filename} named-compilezone [-d] [-j] [-q] [-v] [-c class] [-C mode] [-f format] [-F format] [-i mode] [-k mode] [-m mode] [-n mode] [-o filename] [-r mode] [-s style] [-t directory] [-w directory] [-D] [-W mode] {-o filename} {zonename} {filename} DESCRIPTION
named-checkzone checks the syntax and integrity of a zone file. It performs the same checks as named does when loading a zone. This makes named-checkzone useful for checking zone files before configuring them into a name server. named-compilezone is similar to named-checkzone, but it always dumps the zone contents to a specified file in a specified format. Additionally, it applies stricter check levels by default, since the dump output will be used as an actual zone file loaded by named. When manually specified otherwise, the check levels must at least be as strict as those specified in the named configuration file. OPTIONS
-d Enable debugging. -h Print the usage summary and exit. -q Quiet mode - exit code only. -v Print the version of the named-checkzone program and exit. -j When loading the zone file read the journal if it exists. -c class Specify the class of the zone. If not specified, "IN" is assumed. -i mode Perform post-load zone integrity checks. Possible modes are "full" (default), "full-sibling", "local", "local-sibling" and "none". Mode "full" checks that MX records refer to A or AAAA record (both in-zone and out-of-zone hostnames). Mode "local" only checks MX records which refer to in-zone hostnames. Mode "full" checks that SRV records refer to A or AAAA record (both in-zone and out-of-zone hostnames). Mode "local" only checks SRV records which refer to in-zone hostnames. Mode "full" checks that delegation NS records refer to A or AAAA record (both in-zone and out-of-zone hostnames). It also checks that glue address records in the zone match those advertised by the child. Mode "local" only checks NS records which refer to in-zone hostnames or that some required glue exists, that is when the nameserver is in a child zone. Mode "full-sibling" and "local-sibling" disable sibling glue checks but are otherwise the same as "full" and "local" respectively. Mode "none" disables the checks. -f format Specify the format of the zone file. Possible formats are "text" (default) and "raw". -F format Specify the format of the output file specified. Possible formats are "text" (default) and "raw". For named-checkzone, this does not cause any effects unless it dumps the zone contents. -k mode Perform "check-names" checks with the specified failure mode. Possible modes are "fail" (default for named-compilezone), "warn" (default for named-checkzone) and "ignore". -m mode Specify whether MX records should be checked to see if they are addresses. Possible modes are "fail", "warn" (default) and "ignore". -M mode Check if a MX record refers to a CNAME. Possible modes are "fail", "warn" (default) and "ignore". -n mode Specify whether NS records should be checked to see if they are addresses. Possible modes are "fail" (default for named-compilezone), "warn" (default for named-checkzone) and "ignore". -o filename Write zone output to filename. If filename is - then write to standard out. This is mandatory for named-compilezone. -r mode Check for records that are treated as different by DNSSEC but are semantically equal in plain DNS. Possible modes are "fail", "warn" (default) and "ignore". -s style Specify the style of the dumped zone file. Possible styles are "full" (default) and "relative". The full format is most suitable for processing automatically by a separate script. On the other hand, the relative format is more human-readable and is thus suitable for editing by hand. For named-checkzone this does not cause any effects unless it dumps the zone contents. It also does not have any meaning if the output format is not text. -S mode Check if a SRV record refers to a CNAME. Possible modes are "fail", "warn" (default) and "ignore". -t directory Chroot to directory so that include directives in the configuration file are processed as if run by a similarly chrooted named. -w directory chdir to directory so that relative filenames in master file $INCLUDE directives work. This is similar to the directory clause in named.conf. -D Dump zone file in canonical format. This is always enabled for named-compilezone. -W mode Specify whether to check for non-terminal wildcards. Non-terminal wildcards are almost always the result of a failure to understand the wildcard matching algorithm (RFC 1034). Possible modes are "warn" (default) and "ignore". zonename The domain name of the zone being checked. filename The name of the zone file. RETURN VALUES
named-checkzone returns an exit status of 1 if errors were detected and 0 otherwise. SEE ALSO
named(8), named-checkconf(8), RFC 1035, BIND 9 Administrator Reference Manual. AUTHOR
Internet Systems Consortium COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2004-2007, 2009 Internet Systems Consortium, Inc. ("ISC") Copyright (C) 2000-2002 Internet Software Consortium. BIND9 June 13, 2000 NAMED-CHECKZONE(8)