Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete all files with specific extension in directory tree Post 302816055 by rbatte1 on Monday 3rd of June 2013 08:35:11 AM
Old 06-03-2013
Oh dear, I'm classing myself as a geek. Well, if the name fits, ......

The way you have tried, the shell will expand *.back before trying to run the command. If you happend to have a file at the top level called this.back then the command actually run will become:-
Code:
find . -name this.back -exec file {} \; -exec rm -i {} \;

so you will not actually match anything other than the file at the top level.

The others are various errors. What jaiseaugustine has suggested is the correct format for you. It will pass in *.back as it is to the find command and then it can be used for pattern matching.

If there are no files at the top level, you might get away with it depending how your shell reacts, but if there is more that one file called *.back, e.g. this.back & that.back, then you will probably get the error:-
Code:
find: There is a missing conjunction

because the shell will try to run:-
Code:
find . -name that.back this.back -exec rm {} ;

I hope that this clarifies things a bit.

Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to rbatte1 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete files in specific directory

i have a directory "ABC" with lots of old files and sub directories in it. the issue now is i want to delete away files which are older than 15 days in "ABC" without deleting the files in the sub directories and without deleting the sub directory. i tried using find command but it will drill down... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: legato
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get files with a specific extension

Hi All, How do I get only the files with the .csv extension. I have a shell script something like below: #!/usr/bin/ #Directory to scan for files SCANDIR="/cmb/data/exstream/scriptslogs/"; LOGFILE="/cmb/data/exstream/scriptslogs/test.log"; cd $SCANDIR for FILE in * ; do FILENAME=$FILE... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: janavenki
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively copy only specific files from a directory tree

Hi I am a shell-script newbie and am looking to synchronize certain files in two directory structures. Both these directory-trees are in CVS and so I dont want the CVS directory to be copied over. I want only .sh and .pl files in each subdirectory under these directory trees to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharpsharkrocks
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move all files in a directory tree to a signal directory?

Is this possible? Let me know If I need specify further on what I am trying to do- I just want to spare you the boring details of my personal file management. Thanks in advance- Brian- (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: briandanielz
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all files if another files in the same directory has a matching occurence of a specific word

Hello, I have several files in a specific directory. A specific string in one file can occur in another files. If this string is in other files. Then all the files in which this string occured should be deleted and only 1 file should remain with the string. Example. file1 ShortName "Blue... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: premier_de
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy directory tree with files

Iam in the process of copying a directory with thousands of directories and files into a new directory. I need to preserve permissions, owner, group, date and timestamps, everything. Iam using AIX and would need help of writing the command whether it is cp-RP or cpio. Apprecaite your... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: baanprog
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I delete all files except one of a certain extension?

Let's say I wanna Delete all the files of a certain extension exept one. How do I do it? I know, if you wanna delete them all is with the command: find ~/ -type f -iname '*.txt' -exec rm {} ~/ ';' But If I want to keep an Specific file? Let's say I wanna keep 'Log.txt'. How do I do it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lsteamer
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Specific directory parsing in a directory tree

Hi friends, Hello again :) i got stuck in problem. Is there any way to get a special directory from directory tree? Here is my problm.." Suppose i have one fix directory structure "/abc/xyz/pqr/"(this will be fix).Under this directory structure i have some other directory and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: harpal singh
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all files if another files in the same directory has a matching occurrence of a specific word

he following are the files available in my directory RSK_123_20141113_031500.txt RSK_123_20141113_081500.txt RSK_126_20141113_041500.txt RSK_126_20141113_081800.txt RSK_128_20141113_091600.txt Here, "RSK" is file prefix and 123 is a code name and rest is just timestamp of the file when its... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kridhick
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete all the files and folders inside all the directories except some specific directory?

hi, i have a requirement to delete all the files from all the directories except some specific directories like archive and log. for example: there are following directories such as A B C D Archive E Log F which contains some sub directories and files. The requirement is to delete all the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
7 Replies
slack(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  slack(8)

NAME
slack - Sysadmin's lazy autoconfiguration kit SYNOPSIS
slack [option ...] [role ...] DESCRIPTION
slack is a master command which coordinates the activities of its backends, which variously: o determine the list of roles to be installed on this server o create a local cached copy of the role files from the central repository o merge file trees from subroles into a single, unified tree o install files onto the local filesystem o run scripts before and after installation Options you give to slack will be generally passed along to the backends where relevant. OPTIONS
-h, --help Print a usage statement. --version Print the version and exit. -v, --verbose Increase verbosity. Can be specified multiple times. --quiet Don't be verbose (Overrides previous uses of --verbose). -C, --config FILE Use the specfied FILE for configuration instead of the default, /etc/slack.conf. -s, --source DIR Source directory for slack files -e, --rsh COMMAND Remote shell for rsync -c, --cache DIR Local cache directory for slack files -t, --stage DIR Local staging directory for slack files -r, --root DIR Root destination for slack files --no-sync Skip the slack-sync step (useful if you're pushing stuff into the CACHE outside slack). --no-files Don't install any files in ROOT, but tell rsync to print what it would do. --no-scripts Don't run scripts -n, --dry-run Same as --no-files --no-scripts (CACHE, STAGE will still be updated) --role-list Role list for slack-getroles(8). -b, --backup Make backups of existing files in ROOT that are overwritten. This option defaults to on if it is not set to 0 in a config file or disabled with --nobackup on the command line. --backup-dir Put backups from the --backup option into this directory. -H, --hostname HOST Pretend to be running on HOST, instead of the name given by gethostname(2). --preview MODE Do a diff of scripts and files before running them. MODE can be one of 'simple' or 'prompt' (See PREVIEW MODES, below). --diff PROG Use this diff program for previews. --sleep TIME Randomly sleep between 1 and TIME seconds before starting operations. Useful in crontabs. PREVIEW MODES
Preview functionality is new in slack 0.14.0. I haven't quite worked out how things will work, so this usage is somewhat subject to change in future versions. I thought I would try it this way and see how people like it. In 'simple' mode, after syncing and staging the files directory, slack will present a diff of the files and scripts. In this mode, slack will not run the preinstall or fixfiles scripts, and because of this, it may provide some false output about permissions changes to files. In 'prompt' mode, after syncing and staging the files directory, slack will diff the script directory. If there are differences, slack will present them to you and ask you if you want to continue. If you say no, it will exit. If you say yes, it will stage the scripts directory, run the preinstall and fixfiles scripts, and then diff the files in the stage with those in the root. If there are differences, slack will present them to you and ask you if you want to continue. If you say no, it will exit. If you say yes, it will install the files and run the postinstall script. So, the 'simple' mode is easy to use, and will be accurate if you don't use fixfiles. The 'prompt' mode will be accurate if you use fix- files, but requires some interaction. Why can't we just have one mode that works with fixfiles and requires no interaction? Well, that would require slack to understand what your free-form fixfiles executable was going to do, which would either require some kind of universe simulator or would require you to write your fixfiles in a less free-form way, which would make slack less like slack. EXAMPLES
To install all the roles configured in the role list for a server: slack To install a specific role: slack rolename To test a new role before checking in the changes: slack --source user@workstation:/home/user/.../slack rolename To avoid killing your master server when calling from cron: slack --sleep 3600 FILES
/etc/slack.conf SEE ALSO
slack.conf(5), rsync(1) Administrative commands 2004-10-22 slack(8)