Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Confusion with "su -c" and quotes, user context switching? Post 302816041 by kchinnam on Monday 3rd of June 2013 07:17:49 AM
Old 06-03-2013
Appreciate you taking time to clarify this.. I will make a note of it and use 'su -c'.

Last edited by kchinnam; 06-03-2013 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: grammar

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

communicating wth another user aside from "wall" and "write"

Hi, Can anyone suggest a Unix command or c-shell algorithm to simulate to behavior of "wall" command minus the "all users"? What I'm trying to do is to send a notice to just one particular user but i dont want other remotely-logged-on users to receive the message (on the pseudo-terminals). I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deanne
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing scalars contaning "DOUBLE QUOTES" as data

Hello to all, Does anyone know the solution ? Two strings A and B are present. I want to check whether B is a Substring of A. 1. The value of A is - 29 * * * /bin/ls "test" "tmp*" "log*" (Note: Pl note that A contains DOUBLEQUOTES, ASTERISK & FRONTSLASH) 2. The value of B is -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rssrik
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removal of comma(,) present inbetween double quotes(" ")

Hi Experts, I have a file with some of the records contain double quotes. If I found a double quote(") in any particular record , I need to look for the next double quote in that particular record and in between these quotes, if any comma(,) is there I need to replace with Tilde (~) in the same... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsairam
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Egrep confusion with "I" and "-I" pattern

I am executing following command egrep -w I filename.txt the filename.txt has following data .... -I 07-18 08:31:19.924 9880 6 SessionManager ConnectConfig: ConfigurationWebService LoginResults=SuccessfulLogin I am so hungry that I need to eat I expect egrep to print only the second... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: VBG
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the significance of sh -s in ssh -qtt ${user}@${host} "sh -s "${version}"" < test.sh?

Please can you help me understand the significance of providing arguments under sh -s in > ssh -qtt ${user}@${host} "sh -s "${version}"" < test.sh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sree10
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
note(4) 							   File Formats 							   note(4)

NAME
note - specify legal annotations SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/note DESCRIPTION
Each file in this directory contains the NOTE (also _NOTE) annotations legal for a single tool. The name of the file, by convention, should be the tool vendor's stock name, followed by a hyphen, followed by the tool name. For example, for Sun's lock_lint tool the filename should be SUNW-lock_lint. The file should contain the names of the annotations understood by the tool, one per line. For example, if a tool understands the follow- ing annotations: NOTE(NOT_REACHED) NOTE(MUTEX_PROTECTS_DATA(list_lock, list_head)) then its file in /usr/lib/note should contain the entries: NOT_REACHED MUTEX_PROTECTS_DATA Blank lines, and lines beginning with a pound (#), are ignored. While /usr/lib/note is the default directory tools search for such files, they can be made to search other directories instead simply by setting environment variable NOTEPATH to contain the paths, separated by colons, of directories to be searched, e.g., /usr/mytool/note:/usr/lib/note. USAGE
These files are used by such tools whenever they encounter NOTEs they do not understand. If a file in /usr/lib/note contains the annota- tion, then it is valid. If no such file contains the annotation, then the tool should issue a warning complaining that it might be invalid. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
NOTEPATH specify paths to be searched for annotation files. Paths are separated by colons (":"). SEE ALSO
NOTE(3EXT) SunOS 5.10 17 Jan 1995 note(4)