Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Difference between vruntime and sum_exec_runtime Post 302815243 by kg_gaurav on Friday 31st of May 2013 10:05:59 AM
Old 05-31-2013
Code Difference between vruntime and sum_exec_runtime

While studying linux scheduler i looked into strct sched_entity and update_curr function which accounts for how much time a process have run.
The code says that vruntime is incremented by a weighted value(total run time weighted against number of process) while sum_exec_runtime is incremented by how much time passed since last accounting.
Here's link for function's defintion
update_curr :Linux/kernel/sched/fair.c - Linux Cross Reference - Free Electrons
__update_curr:Linux/kernel/sched/fair.c - Linux Cross Reference - Free Electrons

My question if we increment vruntime by weighted value how can we be sure that this is the time for which the process ran so far?
I think sum_exec_runtime gives exactly what we are looking for.
Please correct me if i'm wrong or any explanation for clearing this concept.

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

what is the difference between -h and -H ?

samba:/home/backup # df -h /home/ Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sdb2 34G 8.6G 26G 26% /home samba:/home/backup # df -H /home/ Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sdb2 37GB 9.2GB 28GB 26% /home what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cw1972
2 Replies

2. Programming

Difference between C and C++

Hi, What is the difference between the C and C++. And what new features is added in the C++.then C Programming in the UNIX Environmnet. Thanks: www.hytechpro.com (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hytechpro
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the difference

I Know this is a dumb question but.... What is the differance beetwean OpenSuSe 10.1 alfa and SuSe 10? :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thunderfastfox
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between $* and $@

Somebody please tell me the difference between $@ and $* Thanks in advance. Saneesh Joseph (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saneeshjose
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

difference

difference b/w shell scripting and perl scripting (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: simmijaswal
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between = and ==

Hi, I don't understand the difference between if ] and if ] for me #!/usr/bin/ksh string1=test1 string2=test2 if ];then OR if ];then echo "strings are same" else echo "strings are different" (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between sh and ./

Hi All Can any body please tell me what is difference between sh scr ./scr Here scr is a script. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's the difference between $* and $@ ?

What's the difference between $* and $@? And I read that the $* has security problems, why? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Henryyy
6 Replies

9. Programming

what is the main difference between difference between using nonatomic lseek and O_APPEND

I think both write at the end of the file ...... but is there a sharp difference between those 2 instruction ..... thank you this is my 3rd question today forgive me :D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to calculate difference of split and sum the difference

In the awk I am trying to subtract the difference $3-$2 of each matching $4 before the first _ (underscore) and print that value in $13. I think the awk will do that, but added comments. What I am not sure off is how to add a line or lines that will add sum each matching $13 value and put it in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
ELVTUNE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							ELVTUNE(8)

NAME
elvtune - I/O elevator tuner SYNOPSIS
elvtune [-r r_lat] [-w w_lat] [-b b_max] device... elvtune -h elvtune -v DESCRIPTION
elvtune allows to tune the I/O elevator per blockdevice queue basis. The tuning can be safely done at runtime. Tuning the elevator means being able to change disk performance and interactiveness. In the output of elvtune the address of the queue tuned will be shown and it can be considered as a queue ID. For example multiple partitions in the same harddisk will share the same queue and so tuning one partition will be like tuning the whole HD. OPTIONS
-r r_lat set the max latency that the I/O scheduler will provide on each read. -w w_lat set the max latency that the I/O scheduler will provide on each write. -b b_max max coalescing factor allowed on writes when there are reads pending in the queue. -h help. -v version. NOTE
Actually the only fields tunable are those relative to the IO scheduler. It's not possible to select a one-way or two-way elevator yet. For logical blockdevices like LVM the tuning has to be done on the physical devices. Tuning the queue of the LVM logical device is useless. RETURN VALUE
0 on success and 1 on failure. HISTORY
Ioctls for tuning elevator behaviour were added in Linux 2.3.99-pre1. AUTHORS
Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@suse.de> SuSE AVAILABILITY
The elvtune command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. Version 1.0 14 March 2000 ELVTUNE(8)