Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using variable from shell script in perl file Post 302814981 by DGPickett on Thursday 30th of May 2013 06:13:25 PM
Old 05-30-2013
A shell script can print variables, name and value or just values
or if dotted in the same shell (sourced) can set (exported or not) variable values to the environment of the current shell, since that is what runs the script, not a child shell process.

A PERL program can print the variables so a wrapper, parent shell can capture and export them "export `perl_prog.pl`"
or can call a shell or shell script as a child (`shell_script.sh`, system(), popen()), which will inherit the PERL environment, with any environment changes PERL made (How do I set environment variables in Perl programs? | Perl ENV array | alvinalexander.com).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read variable from file in a C shell script

Hi, I have a 1-line file which looks like " First second third 4 five". I need to extract the number (here 4) in that line and put it in a variable. I will use the variable later to make few tests in my C shell script. Can somebody help me? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haouesse
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

accessing shell script variable in file

Hi, I have a shell script in which there is a file conn_$temp where $temp has the pid of the shell script. in this shell script i have an embedded awk script that must read the file while ((getline < "conn_$temp") > 0) However due to the "$temp" in the file name, the awk script is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: HIMANI
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to read file into variable

the script i am trying to write will allow my server to give itself an ip address. So far i am up to the following but i'm stuck. tracert -m 1 > traceroute.txt 1 routername (ipaddr) 2.094 ms 1.789 ms 1.243 ms i want to get ipaddr as a variable and use it to write the ifcfg-eth... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aspect_p
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script variable to read shell command

Solaris 10 Korn shell ksh, Hi there, I have figured out to get yesterday's date which is using the below command: TZ=GMT+24; date +%d-%b-%Y to get the format of 30-Sep-2008 and TZ=GMT+24; date +%Y%m%d to get the format of 20080930. I need this two format. In my perl script below I need... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bulkbiz
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to return a value of a variable from shell script to perl script

HI , Is there any way to return a value of variable from shell to perl script. Code: === Perl file my $diff1=system("sh diff.sh"); my $diff2=system("sh diff1.sh"); I need exit status of below commands i.e 0 and 1 respectively. Since in both the cases diff is working so system... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkelect
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to access variable from one file to another in shell script?

Hi, I had written shell script to access config file as input parameter. Contents of ConfFile.cfg are USER=ora PASSWORD=ora Shell script is DBConnect.ksh #!/bin/sh usage="`basename $0` <configuration_file_name>" DB_Connect() { sqlplus -s ora/ora << EOF CREATE TABLE TBL1... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Poonamol
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell or perl script needed for ldif file to text file conversion

This is the ldf file dn: sdcsmsisdn=1000000049,sdcsDatabase=subscriberCache,dc=example,dc=com objectClass: sdcsSubscriber objectClass: top postalCode: 29600 sdcsServiceLevel: 10 sdcsCustomerType: 14 givenName: Adelia sdcsBlackListAll: FALSE sdcsOwnerType: T-Mobile sn: Actionteam... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LinuxFriend
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change value in a file using perl or shell script

hi, I have a local.conf file which has the first line TOPDIR = "/home/mvdev/workspace/boxer". I want to replace the value to "/home/common/workspace/mirror". I tried the following perl command that is perl -p -i -e 's/Path/path1/g' myfile.txt then sed... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: amvarma77
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while reading variable from a file in perl script

I have a file abc.ini and declared many variables in that file, one of the variable(DBname) value I am trying to read in my perl script but getting error. File abc.ini content # database name DBname =UATBOX my $ex_stat; my $cmd_output; $ex_stat = "\Qawk '/^DBname/{print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devesh5683
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to pass the config file lines as variable on the respective called function on a script

I want to make a config file which contain all the paths. i want to read the config file line by line and pass as an argument on my below function. Replace all the path with reading config path line by line and pass in respective functions. how can i achieve that? Kindly guide. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sadique.manzar
6 Replies
PCP.CONF(5)							File Formats Manual						       PCP.CONF(5)

NAME
pcp.conf - the Performance Co-Pilot configuration and environment file SYNOPSIS
/etc/pcp.conf DESCRIPTION
When using Performance Co-Pilot (PCP) tools and utilities and when calling PCP library functions, a standard set of environment variables are defined in /etc/pcp.conf. These variables are generally used to specify the location of various PCP pieces in the file system and may be loaded into shell scripts by sourcing the /etc/pcp.env(5) shell script and queried by C/C++ programs using the pmGetConfig(3) library function. If a variable is already defined in the environment, the values in pcp.conf do not override those values, i.e. the values in pcp.conf serve as installation defaults only. Both the pcp.env and pcp.conf files are expected to be found in /etc by default. If required, the pcp.conf file may be relocated and PCP_CONF set in the environment to specify the full path to the new location. The pcp.env file can not be relocated (this is the only hard coded path required by PCP). The syntax rules for pcp.conf are as follows : 1. the general syntax is PCP_VARIABLE_NAME=variable value to end of line 2. lines that begin with # and all blank lines are ignored. 3. all variables must be prefixed with PCP_. This is a security issue - variables that do not have this prefix will be silently ignored. 4. there should be no space between the variable name and the literal = and no space between the = and the variable value (unless the value actually starts with a space). This is required because the pcp.conf file may be sourced directly by Makefiles as well as inter- preted by the pcp.env script and the pmGetConfig function. 5. variable values may contain spaces and should not be quoted. The pcp.env script automatically quotes all variable values from the character immediately following the = through to the end of the line. For further details and an explanation of the use of each variable, see the comments in the /etc/pcp.conf file itself. ENVIRONMENT
The PCP_CONF environment variable specifies an alternative path to the pcp.conf file. SEE ALSO
PCPIntro(1), PCPIntro(3), PMAPI(3), pmGetConfig(3) and pcp.env(5). Performance Co-Pilot PCP PCP.CONF(5)