Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Checking has for a command line argument Post 302814941 by MadeInGermany on Thursday 30th of May 2013 03:51:44 PM
Old 05-30-2013
Code:
#!/bin/perl
$err=1;
open (IN,"peeplist") or die;
while (<IN>) {
  if (/\b$ARGV[0]\b/) {print; $err=0;}
}
close (IN);
if ($err==1) {print STDERR "not found\n"}
exit $err;

This uses perl's $_
With $line it becomes
Code:
while ($line = <IN>) {
  if ($line =~ /\b$ARGV[0]\b/) {print $line; $err=0;}
}

\b in regular expressions is a "word boundary".

Last edited by MadeInGermany; 05-30-2013 at 04:56 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing a command line argument

I have a shell script which does the encryption of a file where i am passing the file name as a command line argument,but later on the script waits on the screen to enter Y or N what is the command i should be using on the shell script #!/bin/bash -x outfilename=file.out echo... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the value in last command line argument???

Say I want to get the value of last command line argument using the value in $# (or some other way if u can suggest) how do I do it?? $"$#" `$"$#"` These don't work :( (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit_oddey21
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign a command line argument and a unix command to awk variables

Hi , I have a piece of code ...wherein I need to assign the following ... 1) A command line argument to a variable e.g origCount=ARGV 2) A unix command to a variable e.g result=`wc -l testFile.txt` in my awk shell script When I do this : print "origCount" origCount --> I get the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sweta_doshi
0 Replies

4. Programming

Command Line Argument

Hi, I have a very simple C program which will run in UNIX. When i am passing * as the command line argument, i am gettig the below output. Program: #include <stdio.h> #include "mylibrary.h" int **environ; int main(int argc,char *argv) { int i; printf("\nHello... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsudipta
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

command-line line 0: Missing yes/no argument

Hi Guys When I run the below command ssh -o 'PasswordAuthentication yes' -o 'PreferredAuthentications publickey' -i $HOME/.ssh/id_dsa Server_Name I found the below error ommand-line line 0: Missing yes/no argument Kindly help me to sort out Double post, continued... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

command line argument - perl

how do i check if a command line argument is -g? for example, if command line argument equals "-g" { print "Goodbye \n"; } else { print "Welcome to the program! \n"; } (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bshell_1214
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can a string be a command line argument?

I would like to use a string as a command line argument...is this possible using TCSH? For example say my script is called TEST and I would like to pass a string into my script stating why the test failed. EXAMPLE: TEST "Failed due to missing statement" (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thibodc
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Specify an entire UNIX command as a command line argument

I'm trying to write a bash script called YN that looks like the following YN "Specify a question" "doThis" "doThat" where "doThis" will be executed if the answer is "y", otherwise "doThat". For example YN "Do you want to list the file dog?" "ls -al dog" "" Here's my attempt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LeoKSimon
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Command line argument

Hi Guys, I'm trying to work out how to add a command line argument inside single quotes. Would anyone be able to help please as I'm going mad :) I want to be able to place the filename on command line and it then be used in a script but it needs to have quotes surrounding it. Thanks in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mutley2202
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add command line argument

I would like to add the ability to change the message that is displayed when timer is finished. At present it just asks for the time I want for the alarm. I think what I need is another command line argument. soundfile="/usr/share/sounds/My_Sounds/Alarm-sound-buzzer.mp3"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
5 Replies
PHONE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  PHONE(1)

NAME
phone - Phone utility for DECnet SYNOPSIS
phone [options] Options: [-vVh] [-s switchhook char] [initial command] DESCRIPTION
phone is a program that allows the user to communicate interactively with users on VMS systems. Two user interfaces are available: X-Win- dows (GTK+) and terminal (ncurses). If X-Windows is available and compiled into phone then it will be used unless the -n flag is present on the command line. After entering the phone command you will be presented with the phone screen which has windows for the chat and a command-line at the top. If you are not talking to another user then you can enter commands directly, otherwise you will need to precede commands with the 'switch hook' character, which defaults to the percent sign (%). You can also enter a command for phone on the shell command-line. This command will be executed when phone starts up. This makes it conve- nient to enter commands such as: 'phone answer' or 'phone marsha::chrissie' In command mode phone understands several commands: DIAL <node::user> Call a user ANSWER Answer an incoming call REJECT Reject an incoming call EXIT or QUIT Return the the command prompt HOLD Hold all callers UNHOLD Unhold callers HANGUP Hangup the phone DIR <node> Show users logged into <node> FACSIMILE <file> Send <file> HELP Show this help All commands (apart from QUIT and EXIT) can be abbreviated to 3 characters and all (really all this time) commands are case insensitive. OPTIONS
-h -? Displays help for using the command. -V Show the version of phone. -s Set the switch hook character. This is the character used to switch from talking to another user and entering PHONE commands when using the terminal interface.x -n Disables use of the X-windows user interface. Use this to run phone in an xterm. SEE ALSO
phoned(8) DECnet utilities March 26 1999 PHONE(1)