Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Multiple replacement
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Multiple replacement Post 302814839 by Don Cragun on Thursday 30th of May 2013 10:58:50 AM
Old 05-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
To make Don's proposal a bit more flexible, you could introduce a variable for the column. If the header's fields do not contain FS chars, you can omit the extra treatment for line 1:
Code:
awk     'BEGIN          {FS = OFS = "\t"}
         FNR == NR      {ID[$1] = $2; next}
         $COL in ID     {$COL = ID[$COL]}
        ' COL=6 equivalences target

I looked at trying that, but decided against it since the header line contains a mix of spaces and tabs and the spaces around "ID" in the header line cause $6 = ID[$6] to skip the change of "ID" to "RefSeq" in the header.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replacement in multiple files

What is the most simple way to search multiple text files in multiple directories for a string then replace it with another string? I have about 300 files that I need to update and I'm just looking for alternatives rather than having to edit each one by hand. Thanks in advance! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: WABonnett
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regarding Replacement

I have two files: file1: somedata <html> <head> This is sample statement ...... ...... </head> </html> somedata file2: olga 81 91 B A rene 82 92 B A zack 83 93 Expextd Result: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajx
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed xml file multiple line replacement

I have a file called config.xml, it's a simple xml file, and I need use sed/awk to erase some lines. <machine xsi:type="unix-machineType"> <name>server1</name> <node-manager> <name>server1</name> <listen-address>server1</listen-address> </node-manager> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbo0485
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple String with a number replacement and more..

Hello all, First of all, I could not made up a nice title what explains my problem in short,sorry for that already. I have the next file which contains the following, CREATE:ENTRY:\ DNAME,"referenceId=sondakika30,referenceId=User1,\ referenceId=Company,\ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sondakika
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help me :replacement

Hi pls help me for below; i have a file .content is : =================== uid,pcsPricingPlan,refPcsQosProfName 821910002022,smartlimit,SGSNQOS1 i have to replace the value of uid and pricingplan by a unix script. may be the value would be next line or any where in the file. pls... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aditya.Gurgaon
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replacement

my filename.txt looks like this: 2079951061790 SCK0000891539000000000000021600R 2079951061790 SCK0000901487000000000000028900R 2079951061790 SCK0000903092000000000000021300R 2079951074758 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep from multiple patterns multiple file multiple output

Hi, I want to grep multiple patterns from multiple files and save to multiple outputs. As of now its outputting all to the same file when I use this command. Input : 108 files to check for 390 patterns to check for. output I need to 108 files with the searched patterns. Xargs -I {} grep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

GUI for multiple pattern replacement

I'm trying to change a few programs in our environment. Basically We have hardcoded some server names and stuff, So I want some one to suggest me some UNIX gui tools that can be used to replace these.. I really don't want to deal doing this through the command line. I want to transfer the files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudden
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple Replacement in a Text File in one operation (sed/awk) ?

Hi all, Saying we have two files: 1. A "Reference File" whose content is "Variable Name": "Variable Value" 2. A "Model File" whose content is a model program in which I want to substitute "VariableName" with their respective value to produce a third file "Program File" which would be a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dae
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Is this MB, which needs replacement ?

Hello, I am getting below error in fmadm output. This server is not in support, so can't reach them. Is it showing that motherboard is faulty and should be replaced ? It was rebooted a week back and then, there were no errors # fmadm faulty --------------- ------------------------------------ ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
1 Replies
COL(1)                                                      BSD General Commands Manual                                                     COL(1)

NAME
col -- filter reverse line feeds from input SYNOPSIS
col [-bfhpx] [-l num] DESCRIPTION
The col utility filters out reverse (and half reverse) line feeds so that the output is in the correct order with only forward and half for- ward line feeds, and replaces white-space characters with tabs where possible. This can be useful in processing the output of nroff(1) and tbl(1). The col utility reads from the standard input and writes to the standard output. The options are as follows: -b Do not output any backspaces, printing only the last character written to each column position. -f Forward half line feeds are permitted (``fine'' mode). Normally characters printed on a half line boundary are printed on the fol- lowing line. -h Do not output multiple spaces instead of tabs (default). -l num Buffer at least num lines in memory. By default, 128 lines are buffered. -p Force unknown control sequences to be passed through unchanged. Normally, col will filter out any control sequences from the input other than those recognized and interpreted by itself, which are listed below. -x Output multiple spaces instead of tabs. In the input stream, col understands both the escape sequences of the form escape-digit mandated by Version 2 of the Single UNIX Specification (``SUSv2'') and the traditional BSD format escape-control-character. The control sequences for carriage motion and their ASCII values are as follows: ESC-BELL reverse line feed (escape then bell). ESC-7 reverse line feed (escape then 7). ESC-BACKSPACE half reverse line feed (escape then backspace). ESC-8 half reverse line feed (escape then 8). ESC-TAB half forward line feed (escape than tab). ESC-9 half forward line feed (escape then 9). In -f mode, this sequence may also occur in the output stream. backspace moves back one column (8); ignored in the first column carriage return (13) newline forward line feed (10); also does carriage return shift in shift to normal character set (15) shift out shift to alternate character set (14) space moves forward one column (32) tab moves forward to next tab stop (9) vertical tab reverse line feed (11) All unrecognized control characters and escape sequences are discarded. The col utility keeps track of the character set as characters are read and makes sure the character set is correct when they are output. If the input attempts to back up to the last flushed line, col will display a warning message. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of col as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The col utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
colcrt(1), expand(1), nroff(1), tbl(1) STANDARDS
The col utility conforms to Version 2 of the Single UNIX Specification (``SUSv2''). HISTORY
A col command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BSD May 10, 2015 BSD