Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing part of the sentence using echo and sed Post 302814403 by Yoda on Wednesday 29th of May 2013 11:31:24 AM
Old 05-29-2013
Enclosing a referenced value in double quotes (" ... ") does not interfere with variable substitution.

This is called partial quoting, sometimes referred to as weak quoting.

Using single quotes (' ... ') causes the variable name to be used literally, and no substitution will take place.

This is full quoting, sometimes referred to as strong quoting.

So you have to always use double quotes or weak quoting if you want to reference a variable value.
This User Gave Thanks to Yoda For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing the part of file name?

Hi All One of my script generate following files. These files has static TIMESTAMP 20080227. AccAdd_20080227_1000.dat AccBal_20080227_1000.dat Acc_20080227_1000.dat AccGrpMem_20080227_1000.dat AccToCust_20080227_1000.dat What i need to do is, once the file has been generated, it... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit.Sagpariya
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to ask for a sentence and then count number of spaces in the sentence

Hi People, I need some Help to write a unix script that asks for a sentence to be typed out then with the sentence. Counts the number of spaces within the sentence and then echo's out "The Number Of Spaces In The Sentence is 4" as a example Thanks Danielle (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: charlie101208
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to pass sentence with SED and CAT

I have to pass a sentence in a file, the specs are as: cat run | sed 's/SRT/'$8'/g' | sed 's/plength/68/g' | sed 's/stcol/'$5'/g' | sed 's/encol/'$6'/g' | sed 's/brdtype/'$1'/g' | sed 's/brdtxt/'$3'/g' | sed 's/demotxt/Total '$2'/g' | sed 's/bantxt/ban_'$7'/g' | sed 's/validcodes/'$4'/g' > runx... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: patilrakesh1984
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing part of a pattern in sed

Hi I have a piece of xml that has a pattern like this <int>159</int><int>30</int> I want to find this pattern but only substitute the second part of the pattern to {rid1}. Is that possible in sed ? Thanks. ---------- Post updated at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:01 PM... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vnn
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo is replacing characters

Hi All, I'm using KSH and am writing a small script that counts the lines of various files in several folders under one root folder. Below is the script: #!/usr/bin/ksh common_path_in="/interface_in/rsc" file_out="/interface_in/rsc/record_count.csv" tot_rec_count=-1 act_rec_count=-1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagari
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED (or other) upper to lowercase, with first letter of first word in each sentence uppercase

The title pretty much defines the problem. I have text files that are all in caps. I would like to convert them to lowercase, but have the first letter of the first word in each sentence in uppercase. I already have SED on the server for fixing / tweaking text files, but I'm open to other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dockline
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read in a part of an echo line?

Hello, I have a very basic script #!/usr/bin/ksh while print ' ' print ' 1. View Command History ' print ' 2. List files in current Directory ' read opt'?Enter Option> ' ;do if ;then fc -l fi # if ;then ls -la I want to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing part of filename

Hi guys! I have quite a lot of files like all_10001_ct1212307460308.alf* and I want to get rid of the first number for all at once like: all_ct1212307460308.alf* How can I do this in the shell? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: TimmyTiz
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing echo with print

Hi everyone, I'm executing a shell script and one of the commands is creating a file with text via echo. However, if the text within echo has "\t" or similar, it automatically translates it into a TAB character, same goes for other special characters. I know that if I put another "\"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: demmel
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract only relevant part from a sentence?

Hello All, I have a file with details such as below. How do i extract only the host and port ? eg: dbs.ads.com 1521 (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=dbs.ads.com)(PORT=1521))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=vug)))... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JohnJacobChacko
5 Replies
subst(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  subst(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. In this way, all exceptional return codes are "caught" by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {44}", not "xyz {$a}" and the script set a "p} q {r" subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {p} q {r}", not "xyz {p} q {r}". When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. set a 44 subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} returns "$a 44", not "$a $a". Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to retrieve the value of the variable. proc b {} {return c} array set a {c c [b] tricky} subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} returns "[b] c", not "[b] tricky". The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script subst {abc,[break],def} returns "abc,", not "abc,,def" and the script subst {abc,[continue;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,,def", not "abc,3,def". Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value subst {abc,[return foo;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def" and subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr {1+2}],def} also returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def". SEE ALSO
Tcl(n), eval(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(n)