Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ksh to check second time difference between two servers Post 302814147 by depam on Tuesday 28th of May 2013 09:15:07 PM
Old 05-28-2013
ksh to check second time difference between two servers

I am currently setting up a public key authentication between servers. The goal is to get the date via `ssh hostname date` on all the 4 remote servers , put the value in a text file on the central server and compare the date (specifically seconds) for each server date output to check if time is actually sync. I know there will be a second interval while logging in to the system via ssh and retrieving the time. But I am thinking of a margin like 3 - 5 seconds.

Is there any specific script to compare the output of date command and get the difference of seconds. I am thinking of creating a script to get the seconds via 'cut' command but it easily breaks if it reaches ":00" and the result will be inaccurate.

Thanks.

Last edited by Scott; 06-01-2013 at 03:50 AM.. Reason: Moved thread - Not an AIX issue

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh to run servers

I want to write a Kshell program which will start the servers(Oracle,DataIntegrator). Can anybody help me with this? I would appreciate your help. Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pari111222
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: difference between $* and $@

Please ignore. I found the answer at: https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/24557-difference-between.html (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

3 servers 1 .ksh script

system = AIX How can I explain this..... Keep in mind I do not want to login to the boxes, persay, and that I am fairly new to scripting and unix. I want to use SSH. I have a script on server1, this is where I want it to run from. I have server2 and server3, where I want the script to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cml2008
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between development and Production unix servers for a application??

Hi all I am running a major script of my application in development for implementing code changes for process improvement in time. The script runs in production once in a month . It takes 8 hours 30 mins in Production server . what surprice me is , when I run the same script in development server... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate time difference between start and end time of a process!

Hello All, I have a problem calculating the time difference between start and end timings...! the timings are given by 24hr format.. Start Date : 08/05/10 12:55 End Date : 08/09/10 06:50 above values are in mm/dd/yy hh:mm format. Now the thing is, 7th(08/07/10) and... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
16 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh connection to other servers

Hello, I am looking for a way for a server to launch a connection command to one of the other servers where the connection command has already embedded in it a server name, user name and a password. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference Between executing llike ./myscript.ksh and . ./myscript.ksh

Hi , What is the diffence between executing the script like ./myscript.ksh . ./myscript.ksh I have found 2 difference but could not find the reason 1. If i export a variable in myscript.ksh and execute it like . ./myscript.ksh the i can access the other scripts that are present in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: max_hammer
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Same KSH behaving differently on diff servers

HI all I have written a ksh to execute PL/sql procedure and generate the log file. The script is working fine to the extent of calling the taking input, executing PL/SQL procedure. On one server the log file is getting generated properly. i,e it shows the DBMS output . The log file size was... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramakrishnakini
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Time difference between two time stamps

Hi Friends, I have 2 varaibles which contain START=`date '+ %m/%d/%y %H:%M:%S'` END=`date '+ %m/%d/%y %H:%M:%S'` i want the time difference between the two variables in Seconds. Plz help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check/Parse log file's lines using time difference/timestamp

I was looking at this script which outputs the two lines which differs less than one sec. #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; use warnings; use Time::Local; use constant SEC_MILIC => 1000; my $file='infile'; ## Open for reading argument file. open my $fh, "<", $file or die "Cannot... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cele_82
1 Replies
DATE(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   DATE(1)

NAME
date -- display or set date and time SYNOPSIS
date [-ajnu] [-d date] [-r seconds] [+format] [[[[[[CC]yy]mm]dd]HH]MM[.SS]] DESCRIPTION
date displays the current date and time when invoked without arguments. Providing arguments will format the date and time in a user-defined way or set the date. Only the superuser may set the date. The options are as follows: -a Use adjtime(2) to change the local system time slowly, maintaining it as a monotonically increasing function. -a implies -n. -d date Parse the provided human-described date and time and display the result without actually changing the system clock. (See parsedate(3) for examples.) -j Parse the provided canonical representation of date and time (described below) and display the result without actually changing the system clock. -n The utility timed(8) is used to synchronize the clocks on groups of machines. By default, if timed is running, date will set the time on all of the machines in the local group. The -n option stops date from setting the time for other than the current machine. -r seconds Print out the date and time that is seconds from the Epoch. -u Display or set the date in UTC (universal) time. An operand with a leading plus (+) sign signals a user-defined format string which specifies the format in which to display the date and time. The format string may contain any of the conversion specifications described in the strftime(3) manual page, as well as any arbitrary text. A <newline> character is always output after the characters specified by the format string. The format string for the default display is: %a %b %e %H:%M:%S %Z %Y If an operand does not have a leading plus sign, it is interpreted as a value for setting the system's notion of the current date and time. The canonical representation for setting the date and time is: CC The first two digits of the year (the century). yy The second two digits of the year. If yy is specified, but CC is not, a value for yy between 69 and 99 results in a CC value of 19. Otherwise, a CC value of 20 is used. mm The month of the year, from 01 to 12. dd The day of the month, from 01 to 31. HH The hour of the day, from 00 to 23. MM The minute of the hour, from 00 to 59. SS The second of the minute, from 00 to 61. Everything but the minutes is optional. Time changes for Daylight Saving and Standard time and leap seconds and years are handled automatically. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variables affect the execution of date: TZ The timezone to use when displaying dates. See environ(7) for more information. FILES
/etc/localtime Symlink pointing to system's default timezone information file in /usr/share/zoneinfo directory. /var/log/wtmp A record of date resets and time changes. /var/log/messages A record of the user setting the time. EXAMPLES
The command: date '+DATE: %m/%d/%y%nTIME: %H:%M:%S' will display: DATE: 11/21/87 TIME: 13:36:16 The command: date 8506131627 sets the date to ``June 13, 1985, 4:27 PM''. The command: date 1432 sets the time to 2:32 PM, without modifying the date. DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 on success, 1 if unable to set the date, and 2 if able to set the local date, but unable to set it globally. Occasionally, when timed(8) synchronizes the time on many hosts, the setting of a new time value may require more than a few seconds. On these occasions, date prints: 'Network time being set'. The message 'Communication error with timed' occurs when the communication between date and timed fails. SEE ALSO
adjtime(2), gettimeofday(2), settimeofday(2), parsedate(3), strftime(3), utmp(5), timed(8) R. Gusella and S. Zatti, TSP: The Time Synchronization Protocol for UNIX 4.3BSD. STANDARDS
The date utility is expected to be compatible with IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2''). BSD
November 15, 2006 BSD