Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Wtmp empty everyday
Operating Systems AIX Wtmp empty everyday Post 302814123 by alister on Tuesday 28th of May 2013 06:29:22 PM
Old 05-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin
Code:
cat /dev/null > /var/adm/wtmp

cat serves no purpose in that construct. The file is truncated by the shell when it handles the redirection operation, before invoking cat. The following should do it:
Code:
> /var/adm/wtmp

Regards,
Alister

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Everyday appending info about all processes which are active..

I have problem but i didnt solve it. Could you help me? :) Problem: Everyday at 12.17 we will append information to the file "log" about users who are logged and the information about all processes which are active to the user_activity file in our home directory.. I know that I must use cron... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mavikartal
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing and sending of vmstat output everyday

I need to capture the vmstat output of a server every 5 minutes, in a text filename with the name in the format vmoutput. yesterday's date.txt. I need to get the vmstat o/p for the whole day with 5 minutes interval and send it (preferably ftp) to my local desktop folder. eg: vmstat 300... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yuvanash
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to make cronjob output to different files everyday

Hello, I have a cronjob that i am currently running which is as follows: php /home/****/cronjob.php --debug 2>&1 >> /home/cronjoboutput.txt That, as you may know, logs the output to a file called cronjoboutput.txt in the home directory. I want that cronjob to output to a different file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: umarsa
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run a script everyday between 7 and 8 pm with the time interval of 5 minutes?

Hi, Can someone help me in running a cronjob everyday between 7 and 8 pm with the time interval of 5 minutes in between to repeat that script. The script is so small and I need that to run daily between this time. Please if possible provide me the syntax for this logic. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cya
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rotate log everyday on existing script

quick question: I have a current script that will put the output on a log file. See snapshot of the code below. I wanted this to be rotated everyday based on date. So if anyone execute the script today there will be a filecreated such as sys.log.(datetoday), if tomorrow it would be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a cron job that will execute everyday at 14:50 hrs

Hi I want to execute a cron job everyday at 14:50 hrs. I have a script like this: TMP_FILE="/tmp/tmpcron.txt" RES=0 /usr/bin/crontab -l >> $TMP_FILE ADD_JOB="50 14 * * * /opt/mypath/scriptname.sh" grep "scriptname.sh" $TMP_FILE >> /dev/null JOB_NOT_EXIST=$? if test $JOB_NOT_EXIST... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabhkoar
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Account getting Locked Everyday between same Time Frame

I am facing an Issue with a particular Unix Account ( ie a particular Userid) getting LOCKED everyday between 7:30am and 8:00am. The Password associated with this particular Account has been setup such that it should never Expire at all but it does LOCK the Account after more than 3 failed... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchegoor
5 Replies

8. AIX

AIX cron job is running everyday instead of on a particular day

Hello, I was trying to run a script on a dev server using cron job. It supposed to run 3rd sunday of every month. 45 4 15-21 * 0 /home/user1/myscript.sh >/dev/null 2>&1 # run this script 3rd sunday of every month When I Schedule it on AIX server, It is running every day at 4:45 AM. am I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kumar7997
3 Replies
LASTLOG(8)																LASTLOG(8)

NAME
lastlog - examine lastlog file SYNOPSIS
lastlog [options] DESCRIPTION
lastlog formats and prints the contents of the last login log /var/log/lastlog file. The login-name, port, and last login time will be printed. The default (no flags) causes lastlog entries to be printed, sorted by their order in /etc/passwd. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the lastlog command are: -h, --help Print help message and exit. -t, --time DAYS Print the lastlog records more recent than DAYS. -u, --user LOGIN Print the lastlog record for user with specified LOGIN only. The -t flag overrides the use of -u. If the user has never logged in the message **Never logged in** will be displayed instead of the port and time. NOTE
The lastlog file is a database which contains info on the last login of each user. You should not rotate it. It is a sparse file, so its size on the disk is much smaller than the one shown by ls -l (which can indicate a really big file if you have a high UID). You can display its real size with ls -s. FILES
/var/log/lastlog lastlog logging file CAVEATS
Large gaps in uid numbers will cause the lastlog program to run longer with no output to the screen (i.e. if mmdf=800 and last uid=170, program will appear to hang as it processes uid 171-799). AUTHORS
Julianne Frances Haugh (jockgrrl@ix.netcom.com) Phillip Street 08/10/2005 LASTLOG(8)