Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script to run sql query having a long listing of parameters Post 302814037 by Corona688 on Tuesday 28th of May 2013 03:48:34 PM
Old 05-28-2013
The way to avoid too many parameters is not to fiddle and fidget until it accepts too many parameters, as too many parameters will be too many parameters no matter how you cut it. The way to avoid too many parameters is to not use too many parameters.

Perhaps you can avoid reading the file into a shell variable at all:

Code:
( printf "%s" "select name from table_name where cardnum in ('"
        cat parameters.txt
        printf "%s\n" "')" ) | databasecommand

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script Passing Parameters For Directory Listing

i have this basic piece of code that i am trying to debug to accept input parameter to be able to display a directory listing of files. cd /u02/app/eatv/dev/out CURDIR=`pwd` echo directory listing of $CURDIR echo if ; then ls -latr else ls -latr $1 fi basically if the script... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic SQL query based on shell script parameters

Hi, I need a script that will run a dynamic Oracle SQL. Dynamic meaning the SQL statement depends on the parameter. For instance, something like this: #!/bin/ksh -x # Set environment . /home/mine/set_vars sqlplus $LOGINID <<! >> /home/mine/log.txt select count(1) from $1 where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: laiko
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

run sql query via perl script

Hello, If I run this command on the server it works. # dbc "update config set radio_enabled = 0;" how can I execute the same command in perl. I have defined the dbc path. Can any one please correct the last line. #!/usr/bin/perl #database path $dbc='/opt/bin/psql -Userver... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshcisco
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

specified path name is too long passing parameters to awk via shell script

Hello, I have this shell script that runs awk code by passing in parameters however now it doesn't work anymore with the parameters and I don't know why. It removes duplicates from an input file based on a part of the last field and a key column. It removes the record with the older datetime... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: script_op2a
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell script for long listing of groupnames

Hello, When listing the file systems (using ls -ltr) , if the group names are longer the group name is getting truncated. Can someone help with the script which would display the truncated group name? I appreciate if someone could help in this regard. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mike12
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to run sql query from a script..which takes input from a file

I need to run sql script from shell script which takes the input from a file and contents of file will be like : 12345 34567 78657 and query will be like : select seq_nbr from bus_event where event_nbr='12345'; select seq_nbr from bus_event where event_nbr='34567'; select seq_nbr... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkrish
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run a SQL select query in Oracle database through shell script?

I need to run a SQL select query in Oracle database and have to capture the list of retrieved records in shell script. Also i would like to modify the query for certain condition and need to fetch it again. How can i do this? Is there a way to have a persistent connection to oracle database... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run SQL thru shell script: how to get a new line when run sql query?

Hi, this's Pom. I'm quite a new one for shell script but I have to do sql on shell script to query some information from database. I found a concern to get a new line...When I run my script, it retrieves all data as wondering but it's shown in one line :( What should I do? I'm not sure that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kapom
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to run sql query.

Please read How To Ask Questions The Smart Way (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balu_279013
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run sql query in shell script and output data save as delimited text

I want to run sql query in shell script and output data save as delimited text (delimited text would be comma) Code: SPOOL_FILE=/pgedw/dan.txt SQL=/pgedw/dan.sql sqlplus -s username/password@myhost:port/servicename <<EOF set head on set COLSEP , set linesize 32767 SET TRIMSPOOL ON SET... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jaganjag
8 Replies
EXECUTE(7)							   SQL Commands 							EXECUTE(7)

NAME
EXECUTE - execute a prepared query SYNOPSIS
EXECUTE plan_name [ (parameter [, ...] ) ] INPUTS plan_name The name of the prepared query to execute. parameter The actual value of a parameter to the prepared query. This must be an expression yielding a value of a type compatible with the data-type specified for this parameter position in the PREPARE statement that created the prepared query. DESCRIPTION
EXECUTE is used to execute a previously prepared query. Since prepared queries only exist for the duration of a session, the prepared query must have been created by a PREPARE statement executed earlier in the current session. If the PREPARE statement that created the query specified some parameters, a compatible set of parameters must be passed to the EXECUTE statement, or else an error is raised. Note that (unlike functions) prepared queries are not overloaded based on the type or number of their parameters: the name of a prepared query must be unique within a database session. For more information on the creation and usage of prepared queries, see PREPARE [prepare(7)]. COMPATIBILITY
SQL92 SQL92 includes an EXECUTE statement, but it is only for use in embedded SQL clients. The EXECUTE statement implemented by PostgreSQL also uses a somewhat different syntax. SQL - Language Statements 2002-11-22 EXECUTE(7)